PDA

View Full Version : screamer

debbie
05-06-2010, 09:12 PM
hi everyone, i've just taken on a toddler and baby (brother and sister). the toddler (21/2 yrs) has been fine plays well, socializes with others really well. baby 12mths screams the place down if he cant see his sister shes due at pre-school next week. baby has never been left before and is very much a mummys boy. although i have said a four week settling time, i really dont know how long to give it. any ideas

SYLVIA
05-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Glad I'm not the only one. I'v got baby girl (one this month) who screams and has the worse temper I've seen. I let her get on with it, but I stay near her and talk to her the whole time. I've had her 6 weeks now and I have to say the last week has been much better. I think it depends how the screaming affects the others.

onceinabluemoon
06-06-2010, 07:29 AM
How often do they come? And how are you coping with the screaming? x

Shirlwith3
06-06-2010, 07:48 AM
I have a 9month old just like that he has been coming to me since April was only coming 2 days a week from Apri then end of may went full time he is getting better as he will play a little bit instead of screaming he is a
lso better when he is on his own. One thing I have noticed is that he will shut down & avoid making eye contact sometimes he will as start to scream if anyone talks to him when we are out & about.

My bit of advice is give it longer thant 4 weeks settling as this sort of child needs longer to settle.
Good luck

debbie
06-06-2010, 04:20 PM
i have them 4 days a week for 5 hours a day. i tend to shut down when he starts to scream and try to talk above him encouraging. this week will be tester as sister goes back to pre school. trouble is he tends to throwup when really bad and has asthma dad has said to phone him and he'll pick up but i dont want to give in. i think i'll perservere longer. just end up with a nice headache at end of day.

caz3007
06-06-2010, 04:48 PM
I have a one year old who is getting better each week, less screaming. He has been coming for a while, but its only one day a week. Mum says he does it at home too, think he has been picked up a lot.

If it gets too much I pop him in the buggy and take him for a walk, thats really helps us both. He now comes over to me for a cuddle, so its nice to know its not me, its just the way he is

smileyfaces
07-06-2010, 08:21 PM
i agree Caz...I have a 17month old who has been with me for nearly a year now.. she is a screamer and will not be put down. if i do put her down she just screams the place down following me around everywhere!..Her dad cant do much for her at home, she is a real mummys girl. Just the way she is..I have contiplated giving notice but i dont have the heart as i know she is fine with me and to be honest i dont think she would be any better anywhere else. It is just the way she is.
Good luck x

debbie
08-06-2010, 10:08 AM
will give it a try for about 4- 6 weeks, don't really want to give notice as mum pays me on a friday for following week and has just got herself off benefits. but if it gets too much then i will the other kids are unsure some just get on with their activities others say they dont like the crying it hurts their ears. if i do have to give notice not too bothered as i have a new baby starting october and other older children lined up for september. have been putting people onto a waiting list or passing onto others with no work at present. lets see how it goes will let you know what i decide to do.