PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a cm in Havering

Junglemum
04-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Just wanted to inform all you people thinking of becoming a childminder in havering that before you can do anything you have to take a test based on the Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage book. This test will require you to know ALL the points in the book - Aims, The four distinct themes which guide the work of the EYFS (what they are and a short paragraph on each to show your understanding on what they mean), the general welfare requirements and the specific legal requirements, what documents you need to show/give to parents - basically the entire book!!!! I don't know if they change the tests a little each time but I suggest you have a thorough understanding of everything.

I did my test today so am not sure how lenient they are with regards to your answers.

I couldn't find out any info on this test before doing mine so thought I would just share my experiences.

Pauline
04-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Just wanted to inform all you people thinking of becoming a childminder in havering that before you can do anything you have to take a test based on the Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage book. This test will require you to know ALL the points in the book - Aims, The four distinct themes which guide the work of the EYFS (what they are and a short paragraph on each to show your understanding on what they mean), the general welfare requirements and the specific legal requirements, what documents you need to show/give to parents - basically the entire book!!!! I don't know if they change the tests a little each time but I suggest you have a thorough understanding of everything.

I did my test today so am not sure how lenient they are with regards to your answers.

I couldn't find out any info on this test before doing mine so thought I would just share my experiences.

Hi great to see you here, sorry I couldn't be more help when you contacted me this is something that doesn't happen in all areas so couldn't offer much advice.

I hope it doesn't put people off registering, there must be many excellent people out there who would make fantastic childminders but they woul dbe daunted by this.

Good luck, let us know how you got on :thumbsup:

Junglemum
05-06-2010, 07:39 AM
It is a little daunting but if you don't pass, you can book to do the test again. It doesn't cost you anything but time. I think it is the councils way of saving money because it forces you to learn all the details and expectations by yourself without having to pay to send you on a course!!

Excitable
06-06-2010, 11:43 PM
I'm really upset by how unfair that is for you. In Lancashire, I went on a lovely fluffy course delivered by someone with plenty of personal experience of childminding. She told us loads of useful stuff and got us all really excited about childminding. And you have to trawl through what has to be the world's driest publication to be tested on it. It just isn't fair. :angry:

Junglemum
11-06-2010, 12:13 PM
I passed :clapping: So, I guess that as long as you show an understanding of what it is all about your fine.

Excitable, you think the test is unfair.... when we went for the test, we were also informed that funding in the borough had dried up so we have to pay for that first course that you have to do when you first register ourselves - we were told it would cost about £200 :angry: . I am hoping that when I receive my resistration pack there will be something in there about grants or something.

Excitable
13-06-2010, 12:30 AM
is it pick on childminders week or something in Havering? Do you want to come and live in my setting while you register? I will never complain about Lancashire again! All power to you for standing firm and jumping through the hoops anyway (mixing up my metaphors cos I'm cross!). If you have enough determination to get through this, you will be absolutely fine with the kids.