PDA

View Full Version : help quick..advice on headlice

cathchad
27-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Hi,
Need help quick..not sure what to do,i have 6 mindees plus my own boys..just noticed one of my 6 yr olds is crawling in headlice and load of eggs in there 2.
What do i do???dont want in infestation.xx
had this about 2 yrs ago with a little one and asked his mum to collect him,but have heard since that is not what you are supposed to do...but i dont want it to spread through everyone.
Thanks in advance
Cath....cant stop scratching now.xxx

Pipsqueak
27-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Personally I would ring mum and let her know! I am not sure what the protocol is now so I would be interested in the other answers

now I am itching:panic:

Noodles
27-03-2008, 10:58 AM
I know you are not supposed to exclude a child for head lice but i am afraid i would call mum and ask her to take him home and treat his hair.
I would be thinking about the responsibility i have to my own family and the other mindees

sarah707
27-03-2008, 11:00 AM
What does your exclusion policy say?

If it says - if your child is crawling, I will send home... then you can.

Otherwise, the way I would play it would be to tell parent that you will not accept child back until treated...

Ewww poor you! :(

RainbowMum
27-03-2008, 11:01 AM
I think I would put a note in each child's bag today, saying a child attending had headlice & could they thouroughly check their childrens hair tonight if they do this & you do yours you should stop the problem before it gets hold. A quiet word with the mum of the child concerened to say can she make sure he is clean before he attends again. If he is crawling with them as you say then he will have had them for more than a week.

venus89
27-03-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm with Sharon - a not in the bag not naming the child, tell Mum, and give them advice about how to treat. It took us a couple of months to get rid of my daughters' last time and we tried everything so exclusion isn't really an option!
I discovered my son has them this morning, when we'd just got mydaughter clear :angry:

cathchad
27-03-2008, 11:10 AM
I have e mailed mum at work to let her know,it is an awkward one i admit,mindee is quite prone to them,but feel awful letting mum know.xx

Will do the letter as suggested to go in bags tonight..

Update,mum has just mailed back saying that she will go to the chemist and get some stuff for her after work...n am i ok still having her??

angeldelight
27-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Good advice from everyone

Good luck let us know what mom says

Angel xx

miffy
27-03-2008, 11:13 AM
I agree with what's already been said - personally I would exclude until it's been treated and there are no eggs left

miffy xx

kelly21
27-03-2008, 11:45 AM
bit advice for you. Get some tea tree shampoo and wash yours and your kids hair in it. this will get rid of any live ones if they managed to get to you. also if you have long hair, put it up very tightly. my daighter kept bringing these home from school, we all managed to get them in the end. makes me itch thinking about it.

devoncm
27-03-2008, 11:53 AM
I agree about the letter to everyone as you are not allowed to send it to just one child, my eldest daughter used to have them all the time and id spend a fortune on treatment that didnt work, all i do now is use tea tree conditioner on her hair every night and instead of brushing through the hair getting tangles out i use the combwhich will get out any eggs, its now second nature to do it and because she rarely has any it takes 5 minutes not an hour. plus its cheaper for my pocket by spending just 59p on conitioner a month than £10 on lotion a week

cathchad
27-03-2008, 01:17 PM
does anyone have a link to a headlice advice sheet that i could print off to give parents.xx:eek:

Blaze
27-03-2008, 01:21 PM
http://www.onceaweektakeapeek.com/

Here you go!

Tasha:)

Alibali
27-03-2008, 01:27 PM
I agree with above, and I know we're not supposed to exclude, but I personally would at least until they had been treated. They are such nasty little creatures.

Good luck

Ali :)

deeb66
27-03-2008, 01:32 PM
If the mum does an effective job with treatment tonight you should be ok for tomorrow.

I certainly wouldn't exclude if I felt they were trying to solve the problem but do recommend that she continues to check the boys head over the weekend and ensure that all the little critters have gone.

As the others have said I would send a note home with parents to say that the children have been in contact with a child with head lice and that you recommend that they check their childs hair.

LittleAcorns
27-03-2008, 01:44 PM
http://www.chc.org/
http://www.nittygritty.co.uk/ng/index.jsp?gclid=CL-T2Le1rZICFRcS1AodwyA2QQ

Very tricky, as already mentioned, a note to all parents, and Im glad that mum is getting this sorted

For anyone whos children are prone, the bug buster comb is ace for getting bugs and eggs, and Bed Head, this is a lotion put on the hair and left on is a good preventative (not necessarily for head lice repelant but very good)

LittleAcorns
27-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Just thought if treatment is done tonight to get rid of the adults Im pretty sure you'd be alright to have the child, then if mum keeps checking every night/other night the life cycle should break and there will be no more....I read somewhere that each bug can lay 10 - 15 eggs per day, you can see how an infestaion can quickly take hold

Tatia
27-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Just make sure she knows to treat again in 7 days, in case any of the eggs she missed have hatched. If she is trying to sort it, I wouldn't exclude. It's people who don't even try that drive me bonkers. We spent a fortune treating me and Seri and she kept getting reinfected (and reinfecting me) from the same child at her old playgroup who never received treatment. :angry: