PDA

View Full Version : are we allowed?

Hebs
02-06-2010, 05:36 PM
to go to a childs school to observe them taking meds at lunch time?

a lady i know has asked me about it as she wants to go to work but her daughter needs medication at lunch time and as she doesnt drive she would be unable to go to the school to do it

i dont mind doing it as long as its ok :D

zillervalley
02-06-2010, 05:57 PM
never come across this situation before, if you are just observing and the school staff give then i would think its ok , but best check it out.

maybe someone will be along in a mo you have perhaps been in this situation

ziller

The Juggler
02-06-2010, 05:59 PM
does she not trust the office staff to administer it??

Blue Boy
02-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Sorry have never come across that situation. Does the school have a nurse? If not they must have a qualified First Aider.

Hebs
02-06-2010, 06:04 PM
does she not trust the office staff to administer it??

the school refuse too :panic:

is it the LEA as it's the same at my sons school, thats why he's on a med that covers him for the full day :rolleyes:

wendywu
02-06-2010, 06:40 PM
I had to go across the road to remove a splinter from a childs leg age 8, as the school said they were not allowed to, they had packed around it with gauze. It was a VERY large wood splinter. I do dispare of the world today:panic:

Just never gave it a thought, just went and pulled it out. SIMPLES:thumbsup:

Minstrel
02-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Not sure about being allowed but i think this would be a very restrictive job to take on.

No whole day trips out with LO's

What if LO's are sleeping at the time you need to go out?

What if you are ill? Or someone else?

breezy
02-06-2010, 06:46 PM
A childminder friend of mine goes into school to give medication to minded child every lunchtime. It is a child she minds full time though so i dont know if this makes a difference?

Wendy we were told on last first aid course that removing a splinter was invasive " surgery" and we shouldnt do it :eek: :huh:

LOOPYLISA
02-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Not sure about being allowed but i think this would be a very restrictive job to take on.

No whole day trips out with LO's

What if LO's are sleeping at the time you need to go out?

What if you are ill? Or someone else?

Very true :thumbsup:

wendywu
02-06-2010, 06:50 PM
So what do you do then go to hospital :laughing:

It was sticking out 1/4 " out of her leg, she could not have stayed at school like it. The school asked me to do it.

It was 4 years ago and i must admit i tend to live in the world of common sense, never let me down yet. Touch wood ;)

little miss chatterbox
02-06-2010, 07:00 PM
i was told the same about splinters! we're supposed to cover it in a plaster and leave it for the parents - rubbish!!!!!! I told a parent that and she was mortified!

LOOPYLISA
02-06-2010, 07:01 PM
i was told the same about splinters! we're supposed to cover it in a plaster and leave it for the parents - rubbish!!!!!! I told a parent that and she was mortified!

Ouch, splinters are painful, sooner out the better imo :thumbsup:

Hebs
02-06-2010, 07:03 PM
I would have her after school and full time in holidays,

as for it restricting our day it wont as i do a nursery run so can pop in then to give her the meds, and if i'm too ill to do it then i wouldn't be working anyway and mum would stay off

AnnieM
02-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Re the splinter we were told on our first aid course last year that if the splinter was clearly visible and you could easily remove it without touching the skin then it was ok to pull it out, but if you had to go digging around to get it out either take them to A&E or cover it and leave it for the parents to deal with.

prettysunflower
02-06-2010, 07:35 PM
I have done this, i just got the mum to write a letter to the school informing them that i would be doing it and got her to sign a permission to administer medication form and popped in at lunchtime to give her the medication (our school will not administer medicine at all) parent then signed form again when she picked up in the evening.

Amanda x

breezy
02-06-2010, 07:38 PM

It was sticking out 1/4 " out of her leg, she could not have stayed at school like it. The school asked me to do it.

It was 4 years ago and i must admit i tend to live in the world of common sense, never let me down yet. Touch wood ;)

I love taking splinters out!!!!!!!!!! Job satisfaction !!!!:laughing:

Hebs
02-06-2010, 08:00 PM
I have done this, i just got the mum to write a letter to the school informing them that i would be doing it and got her to sign a permission to administer medication form and popped in at lunchtime to give her the medication (our school will not administer medicine at all) parent then signed form again when she picked up in the evening.

Amanda x

mamasheshe
02-06-2010, 08:14 PM

don't if you get a splinter you'll have to go to a and e we're not getting it out for you:laughing: :laughing:

when i was little i got a splinter at nursery and the manager tried removing it with her big long red finger nails i fainted I'm not brilliant with splinters:blush:

emmadines
03-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Hello,

I got the mum to do a letter of permission for me to go and give the medicine and one for the school to give it just to cover all eventualities, luckily the school agreed to administer it :S

god we live in a nanny state, regardless of what regulations say its a waste of hospital resources to take a child to a and e to remove a splinter - the parents of my lot would be mortified at the leaving it in.... if push come shove id get written permission (never had to as of yet!!)

wendywu
03-06-2010, 08:26 AM
To my mind im their mum when their mums not there and just act accordingly. :rolleyes:

Im very capable to act in the childs best interest and my parents like that peace of mind when they are at work.:thumbsup: