PDA

View Full Version : Parent going to be late....

snufflepuff
02-06-2010, 02:45 PM
because she needs to go and buy some birthday cards!
The cheek!
Why can't she pick LO up then go and buy flippin' borthday cards!?
Last time she was late it was because she needed to buy a bottle of wine.......i suppose at least she called me to let me know this time!

caz3007
02-06-2010, 02:52 PM
I would say its not convenient, and get a late pick up policy in place, with a large charge per 15 mins, will stop her doing it in the future

Blaze
02-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Tell her it's not convenient & you have plans - not to worry - you'll call the emergency contacts!;)

PixiePetal
02-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Nothing surprises me - except that she thought it was ok to tell you why :rolleyes:

My mindees dad has just text to say will be 15 mins late cos of traffic - but he had arranged to pick up 45 mins early anyway so still 30 mins early really :) nice and considerate though :thumbsup:

miffy
02-06-2010, 04:02 PM
You need to charge her late pick up fee - that should put a stop to it.

Miffy xx

Erika
02-06-2010, 08:00 PM
I'm sorry. I just cannot see why people think this is an acceptable way to behave. If she wants to buy birthday cards she should do it on her own time, not on yours. The only acceptable reason for lateness is when there is no other alternative, i.e stuck in unexpected traffic/injury at work etc and even in that situation, the parent should damned well arrange someone else to pick up the child(ren).

angeldelight
03-06-2010, 06:40 AM
I'm sorry. I just cannot see why people think this is an acceptable way to behave. If she wants to buy birthday cards she should do it on her own time, not on yours. The only acceptable reason for lateness is when there is no other alternative, i.e stuck in unexpected traffic/injury at work etc and even in that situation, the parent should damned well arrange someone else to pick up the child(ren).

I agree

You need to charge a late fee

The cheek of some people

Angel xx

HELEN10
03-06-2010, 07:44 AM
Most definitely charge! What a cheek!

What would she say if you asked her to bring her child half an hour late one day as you would just like to nip out to the shops?

rickysmiths
03-06-2010, 11:00 AM

I agree. Once is bad enough but a second time. I would charge late charges and I bet she doesn't do it again it works out to be a very expensive Birthday Card :laughing:

Cammie Doodle
03-06-2010, 11:31 AM
I have 1 parent who always has to WIZZ somewhere quickly :rolleyes: It has been known that she wizzed quickly home before picking her son up !!!! Arriving out of puff saying sorry Im late just had to WIZZ :angry: Its never very late, but it annoys the hell out of me. She can get to me and leave promptly when she wants to though

snufflepuff
03-06-2010, 12:07 PM
I find it hard though- i dont charge for genuine lateness unless its a long time- if its only 20 minutes im not fussed. But when you let them off once you feel you have to let them off all the time! How do you explain it- 'i let you off before but now i've changed my mind'
Lesson learned i think, i have 3 new mindees and i'll have to be tough right from the start with them!

miffy
03-06-2010, 01:32 PM
You don't need to explain it - they have a contract for certain hours and if they are late then you are entitled to charge.

If you don't want to get into a discussion about it then just put a note in your next newsletter that from (whatever date) late payment charges as set out in the contract will apply if children are not collected at the agreed time.

If you don't nip it in the bud now you will get taken advantage of, and eventually someone's lateness might interfere with something you'd planned to do.

Hope you sort it out.

Miffy xx

Erika
03-06-2010, 07:52 PM
I needed to get a little shopping today, and couldn't wait till the weekend. I needed to get some bits and bobs for the little one's packed lunch as she is a fridge raider, and raided it last night! (I forgot to lock the kitchen door)

I did it in my lunch break. If my childminder can work all day long without a proper lunchbreak (I expect she gets a lunch, but I don't expect she gets a break - she can't do with four little ones to care for), then I'm sure that I can take 15 minutes out of my proper no-work-interfering-with break to get a little shopping on my time so that I don't impose on her time.

It's really not that hard. Leave work. Go to shop. Have a bite to eat. Go back to work. Leave work on time. Get to childminders on time. See - easy!

A birthday card is no excuse for being late. She knows when a birthday is coming up and should plan her shopping time accordingly. Charge her a late fee.