PDA

View Full Version : Just a moan -

skytvaddict
02-06-2010, 01:54 PM
My first mindee has left unexpectedly early (she was due to leave mid June but mum has had to take early maternity leave) so this has made June a very hard up month.

I have a new baby starting mid July who has been coming once a week for settling in and was coming the weekend of 18/19 June for 1 and 1/2 days which I was really looking forward to.

I discovered two spots on my youngest DS last night which today unfortunately look like the Pox so rang the baby's mum to say I couldn't have him this week or next and she said she wouldn't be bringing him for 21 days as this was what the HV had advised when her sister's children had it.

It is obvioulsy her choice entirely and I do understand but I was really looking forward to getting started with him and having him that weekend would have really settled him in :( - and it is two weeks on Saturday.

Does anyone else think that is a bit OTT or is it just me?

KarenM
02-06-2010, 02:12 PM
I would agree it is a bit OTT. Children are at their most contagious before the spots break out, and once they've scabbed over they are fine. Maybe contact her again.

babs
02-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Recommended period to be kept away from school, nursery or childminders

Chickenpox Five days from the onset of rash

this is what my new info says hope this helps

TheBTeam
02-06-2010, 02:23 PM
The recommended period of exclusion for a child with chickenpox is five days from the onset of the rash, they dont even say you have to wait until the spots have scabbed over anymore.

Point her in the direction of the Health Protection Agency exclusions period list.

I think when they talk about 21 days, that is the time from when you first incubate it through to the spots being scabbed over, not the time the child is contagious.

skytvaddict
02-06-2010, 02:47 PM
I am kind of hoping she goes away and googles it - as most advice is the 5 day from rash appearing.

We haven't actually entered proper contract yet anyway, I did have him on Friday though but don't think DS would have been infectious then!

Still disappointing though as was so looking forward to it.

Also, DS might only get it mildly and be over it a lot quicker!