PDA

View Full Version : Diarrhoea - 11 month old baby

Chanelle
02-06-2010, 11:09 AM
I have a new baby started with me yesterday, today is only her 2nd day.

She has had 3 diarrhea nappies since 8.40 being the first one. They are liquid and grainy obviously has weetabix for breakfast.

What I am asking is whether you would give her milk after lunch? As she is so new, it is hard to determine if she is often loose as some babes can be.

Little unsure really as Mum has only gone back to work after maternity leave and today is her 1st day back, otherwise would be calling for collection.

She is not unwell in any other way.

Thanks in advance :)

sfox2003
02-06-2010, 11:20 AM
I would start as I mean to go on & send baby home. Youve got yourself to consider. If you get it you will have to close.

Im new to childminding, but in the short space of time Ive been minding Ive had to close twice due to mindees passing sickness & diarrhea onto myself or my own children.

I know its awkward as she only just went back to work, but you have to think of the implications it could have.

Edited to add - I would def NOT give her any milk.

marzi
02-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Maybe she's never had weetabix before or had it for the first time with cow's milk? Maybe ring and ask mum if she's eaten anything new.

miffy
02-06-2010, 12:11 PM
I'd also speak to mum before deciding whether to send baby home or not.

Miffy xx

monkey62
02-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Try to contact the parents, and explain the situation... the only think is the mum willl start being worry as is her first day away from a child.... quiet delicate situation
Hope the baby is well soon

suzyblue
02-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Im pretty sure that if they are under 1 then you can still give them milk. I would txt the mum to see if its normal for this baby. Its most likely to do with the baby's diet.

Chanelle
02-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Try to contact the parents, and explain the situation... the only think is the mum willl start being worry as is her first day away from a child.... quiet delicate situation
Hope the baby is well soon

Heya all, thanks for your replies. And as expected :)

The Mum is very emotional and not coping too well with going back to work. She has also been having problems with her return to work with them being very awkward with her days and have swapped them twice, the situation is very delicate so wont be sending her home.

I did decide to give her milk before her sleep which she has had fine and she hasn't been sick at all which tells me it isn't likely to be a stomach bug.

As she is only 11 months, she will be having many new foods but as far as I know weetabix isn't something new as she told me she has it at her pre-start 3 weeks ago. So I guess maybe she is teething, I have noticed that her cheeks are pinker than yesterday lol .... Maybe that is all it is lol