PDA

View Full Version : Under Ones and Food

Tealady
02-06-2010, 10:09 AM
I've not cared for an under one yet apart from a four month old for a few weeks who was only on formula. I know alot of childminders won't provide food for under ones and I was just wondering why?

cs01
02-06-2010, 10:30 AM
I was advised on my ICP course to let the parents provide food for children under 1 in case of food allergies, esp if they are just being weaned.

tulip0803
02-06-2010, 11:24 AM
I was advised on my ICP course to let the parents provide food for children under 1 in case of food allergies, esp if they are just being weaned.

As above:thumbsup:

snufflepuff
02-06-2010, 11:42 AM
As above- too much hassle when weaning, trying to get a consistency they are used to at home, and the risk of giving them foods they have never had and may react badly to.

miffy
02-06-2010, 12:13 PM

As above.

Miffy xx

michellethegooner
02-06-2010, 12:22 PM
same reasons as above

monkey62
02-06-2010, 12:27 PM
As above- too much hassle when weaning, trying to get a consistency they are used to at home, and the risk of giving them foods they have never had and may react badly to.

As above....think about do you really want to start cooking separate food for a baby, is time consuming....Personal, I don't have that kind of time as I prefer to organise activities and play with all the kids.

Tealady
02-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Thanks for that. I did my training quite a while before I registered and it wasn't really mentioned then.

TheBTeam
02-06-2010, 02:59 PM
I get parents to provide the food until the child is fully weaned onto eating sandwiches and small pieces of food hot or cold, i do not have the time to be pureeing etc.

Roseolivia
02-06-2010, 04:56 PM
I provide home cooked meals for under 1's. Things like dinners with veg, pasta, very mild curries, fish. Most my under 1's started at 8mth old and were used to eating solids. I won't provide jars or packet baby foods though

Fabby
02-06-2010, 05:16 PM
I provide home cooked meals for under 1's. Things like dinners with veg, pasta, very mild curries, fish. Most my under 1's started at 8mth old and were used to eating solids. I won't provide jars or packet baby foods though

This is exactly what i do.

onceinabluemoon
02-06-2010, 07:24 PM
I had two under ones and provided home made food for them so that they had an alternative to the jars they had at home.

francinejayne
02-06-2010, 07:57 PM
I have a 9 month old starting on Monday - he's coming tomorrow and Friday for a few hours so I'll find out then what he's eating.
I will be providing food for him, but he'll either have a sandwich etc that we're all having (I don't make big lunches) or if he wants more pureed food I'll make an extra portion the night before of whatever we're having for tea and mush that up for him!
If the parents give detailed info as to what he's had already, the allergy thing shouldn't be an issue.