PDA

View Full Version : No show mindee

cuffleygirl
02-06-2010, 08:55 AM
I have a 11 year old mindee - he doesn't want a childminder anymore he has grown out of me, Dad is a little cavalier with childcare and not good and giving notice to change, wants it, but doesn't want to pay for it. Mindee getting more independent ready for high school when I am sure I will lose him.

Anyway this morning he was due at 8am, its now nearly 10am (didn't have him yesterday he is due today, Thursday, Friday) have texted dad - no reply. Am kinda hoping I haven't got him today 'cos I can do different stuff with little ones, without an 'I'm bored' - there are lots of activities to engage him but he simply doesn't want to be here - Dad is happy for him to play out - but I'm not whilst he is my responsibility. It could even be he has slept over at a friends and will independently make his way here - Dad is ok with this :eek:

Here's the question - at what time do I accept he is not coming and go out?

Dad not being in touch is not unusual!

funfunfun
02-06-2010, 09:08 AM
With no reponse and no child if they were due to arive at 10 wait til 10.30 maybe try calling in that time - If you have plans i wouldnt stay in at all tbh but im quite mean :)

karen m
02-06-2010, 09:09 AM
I would give dad 1 more text/call saying if boy not here within next 30 min then you will be going out with other children as not fair on them staying in waiting . if you get no reply again give it the stated time and go out

Carol M
02-06-2010, 09:10 AM
If he was due at 8am and not there by 10am and no contact from parents I would be continuing with your plans for the day.
Do you have a policy for arrival/departure that states if lo not gonna turn up at contracted time parents must contact you as you may not be in when they decide to arrive.
Their problem now I would be reminding them of policy!If you think lo is making his own way to you perhaps I would stay in for his safety sake. Possibly I would be thinking of ending this contract!
Good luck
Carol x

MAWI
02-06-2010, 09:19 AM
I think two hours if more than a reasonable time to wait. I would phone Dad and tell him that you cannot wait all day for him to turn up and you are heading out. Although I know if that was me I would also be worried about the child.
I have parents to sign an Independent Arrival Policy for older children who arrive of their own accord. That way if anything where to happen ( god fobid) I would not be responsible until that child arrives with me. It also states that parents are to inform me of their antipated arrival time. I had to write this policy because a few months ago I was in the same situation as yourself and the child was involved in a near mishap. Parents tried to blame me because it was on 'My time'. So from that point on I gave notice, wriote this policy and insist that parents/children need to arrive approximately at that time, if they are not they should text/phonecall me if possible.
Hope hes turned up

monkey62
02-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Considering he suppose to show up at 8 and you already text a dad, without replay for him... I will say get on with you day. Personnally I won't wait longer then lets say 10/ 10.30. Is unfair for other children to miss out.

cuffleygirl
02-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Right no response from Dad - so am heading out will take my phone with me it will be interesting to see if he turns up tomorrow. He is my early starter at 8am one other mindee at 10am - the law of wotsit says if I don't get up he will come!

sandy64
02-06-2010, 10:00 AM
i would ring tonight to see if hes coming tommorrow i think its very ignorant not letting you no hope you enjoy your day

Alibali
02-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Up here in Scotland, as part of safeguarding children, we have to have a procedure in place for unexplained non-attendance, so I would have to follow that through and ensure the child was safe. Hope he contacted you.

The Juggler
02-06-2010, 01:53 PM
I have a 11 year old mindee - he doesn't want a childminder anymore he has grown out of me, Dad is a little cavalier with childcare and not good and giving notice to change, wants it, but doesn't want to pay for it. Mindee getting more independent ready for high school when I am sure I will lose him.

Anyway this morning he was due at 8am, its now nearly 10am (didn't have him yesterday he is due today, Thursday, Friday) have texted dad - no reply. Am kinda hoping I haven't got him today 'cos I can do different stuff with little ones, without an 'I'm bored' - there are lots of activities to engage him but he simply doesn't want to be here - Dad is happy for him to play out - but I'm not whilst he is my responsibility. It could even be he has slept over at a friends and will independently make his way here - Dad is ok with this :eek:

Here's the question - at what time do I accept he is not coming and go out?

Dad not being in touch is not unusual!

I NEVER wait in for parents who don't turn up and dont bother to call. I carry on with my plans. Even if they ring and say they'll be late without arranging it with me first, if it spoils my plans I tell them they'll have to meet me where I'm going to be!