PDA

View Full Version : Working In Partnership With College

P.Miracle
02-06-2010, 01:08 AM
This post was just some information for those who might be interested in working in partnership with their local college to get free assistants in the form of students.

It's a win-win situation for you, your college, the children and the students. You get free assistants, the students get the childcare experience they need to complete their qualification and the adult:child ratio in your setting increases which is a positive thing as children would recieve more attention, plus the safety aspects and the input of someone else ideas for activities!

I'm sure every college has it's own way of doing things, but I guess they all roughly follow the same procedures, so I'll share my story of how I've come to put it in place in my setting.

I called up my local college, told them I was a registered childminder who cared for children aged 0-8 yrs old and said I was interested in providing voluntary postition fors students who needed childcare experience as part of completing their qualification. The recepetion patched me throught to the right people who were very friendly and helpful.

Someone from the college came out to see me to find out more about the childcare service I provide and to tell me more about the students (like the CRB checks, how many students I would like to have, when students would come to my setting, how long for, and about the college's health and safety stuff).

(Phew)

I wrote to my mindees' families and explained to them about the partnership and shared my thoughts about how it would impact my setting and why I thought it would be a positive thing for everyone. I also asked my parents for permission if they were happy for this partnership to go ahead. The information letter I sent to them is included as an attachment to this post.

The students I am recieveing will be Level 2/3 students who have already completed 1 year of thier studies. Most will have already had experience of working with children. They all undergo an enhanced CRB as part of their college course and because they are only placed with you for a term before moving on, they don't need a serperate CRB to come into your setting as they will be staying with you for 3 months or less (but double check with your local Ofsted as this may differ).

So what happenes now is that someone from the college comes to risk assess and take health and safety details of my setting (so that it's risk assessed for a student) and after that, students can come to my setting to help out starting with the new term in September.

Hope you find this helpful!

sarah707
02-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Thank you for sharing! That is very good information :D

charlie28
02-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks for that, i work with my local college at the moment. I have 1 student that comes 2 times a week. The only thing is she rings in sick nearly every week.:panic: But when she is here, the kids love her and she does a great job:laughing:

P.Miracle
02-06-2010, 08:19 PM
You're very welcome, Sarah707! Glad you found it useful =)

Charlie- sorry to hear your's isn't turning out so well. Maybe you should have a word about her reliability with the college and see if they can have a word with her? Or else have a talk with your student, saying how good she is when she's there but you wish she was there more? Good luck!

Mainey84
12-06-2010, 08:59 PM
I'm not even starting the reg process for a few months but this is something i was planning to look into. I did my Level3 at college 5yrs ago and know how hard it can be to find enough placements so wanted to give something back.

Thank You :clapping:

Kat
17-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Hi

Just contact my collage they will pass my info ... we will see :) would be good to have help

huggableshelly
17-06-2010, 01:10 PM
local secondary schools are always looking for work experience placements too.

I've had 3 students so far, all under 16 so no CRB's. The school children are to shadow and do light work such as play, help to clear away, no major things like nappy changes, food prep and laundry (if any are done such as bedding).

School rep will come out, risk assess the setting and request copies of risk assessments to any outings such as library, toddler group etc and then an agreement to state the student will never be left alone in charge of any child nor will be expected to leave the setting for a quick trip to the shop alone.

Set working hours are layed out all mine did 9:30 - 12:00 then either 13:00 - 15:00 or 13:30 - 17:30 pending on their prefences.

Employee liabitly insurance is free for students.

rickysmiths
17-06-2010, 06:25 PM
I know friends who have had students and it has been very successful.

However I don't think you can increase your numbers because they are only with you on a temporary basis. You wouldn't be able to leave children alone with them either.

beccas
17-06-2010, 06:42 PM
i have a student at minute a mature student and i also got a work experience form local school starting and college rang me today comming to see me next week about new starters in sept..:clapping:

Leanne59
17-06-2010, 07:50 PM
I did this when I was a student, i loved my placement so much i become a childminder myself. I still see the lady now but shes no longer a cm.