PDA

View Full Version : Leaving children with ofsted inspector

Mia'smummyx
01-06-2010, 08:04 PM
As far as im aware this cant be done, but my question is..
how do you prepare bottles, meals etc, i have a 9 month old my kitchen is to small to fit a buggy in and im sure if i put her in the buggy whilst making meals she will cry, and older ones who play in the garden what do i do with them whilst im in the kitchen and i assume she will be in the living room.
what about the school run to, will she wait in her car??
im so nervous but have so many unanswered questions.
Thank you
leah x

TammyN
01-06-2010, 08:06 PM
you would do what you would do if she wasn't there!
as long as they are in sight, mine play in living room whilst im in kitchen with gate to enable me to see them.
they do wait in car for school run's.

babs
01-06-2010, 08:07 PM
when i had my inspection the inspector played with the children in the garden throwing a ball to older one, when i made a drink i placed younger one in baby walker and could still see older one from kitchen who was still happily playing with inspector patio doors open on to garden so mine were never out of my sight..

Waveawand
01-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Hiya - firstly what would you normally do ? If you need to prepare food, you will have to have the baby somewhere safe and re the others not sure what there ages are but can you see them while your are preparing ?

Re Mrs "O" please dont be too over anxious - Im sure you are more than confident and capable so take a deep breath and believe in your own self worth. You are in charge not her - she is just observing and at the end of the day just filling in bits of paper not looking after kids !!

Hope this helps a little but they are human and do go away again - honest !!:jump for joy:

Mia'smummyx
01-06-2010, 08:18 PM
my house is set up so you walk in the front door, kitchen on the right, walk through to living room then garden out the doors, you cant see nothing from the kitchen,
At the moment my 7month old mindee will scoot around in her walker, be sleeping upstairs with the monitor on when im doing dinner, bottles etc.

The others are my DD-5 and mindee-9 they will play in the garden etc, i will put dinner on then back out to supervise them whilst checking on it, the only way to see out of the kitchen is to pop my head around the wall.

Mouse
01-06-2010, 08:29 PM
I've had lots of inspections over the years, have always left the children in the room with the Ofsted inspector, and have never had a problem with it.

It is written in my visitors policy that children will only be left alone with an Ofsted inspector or someone from the Early Years team. Again, my policies have been looked at by inspectors over the years & have never been questioned.

The children have always been within earshot & I've only left the room to get more paperwork, to make drinks, take one to the toilet etc.
I think they need to see you doing what you would normally do, so if you don't take the children into the kitchen normally, don't do it while the inspector is there.

Mia'smummyx
01-06-2010, 08:39 PM
My policies also said that but then i was told you cannot leave children with ofsted so i changed them!!

I think i will carry out my evrday routine as normal and hope she leaves nice and early lol-- no chance!!

mama2three
02-06-2010, 07:24 AM
make it as easy on yourself as possible. have dinner prepared in advance! Once the first few minutes are over you will find you settle down and get on with doing what you normally do... and the inspector will see a true reflection of your care:)

Tinglesnark
02-06-2010, 07:59 AM
my house is set up like yours. we have a garden shed that dh has converted in to an office and i had to go there to get my passport etc for mrs o. my older child was clamouring to go with me so i asked mrs o if she would keep an eye on my baby and she took him from me and gave him a cuddle whilst i shot off to get my paperwork.
your not a super hero and cant juggle children on your toes so i would just do as the others have advised. you can always ask her what she would advise - they do like you to ask them if you are unsure. it is always better to ask rather than assume and get it wrong :D

monkey62
02-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Just do what are you doing usually, with mrs O or not in a house you still have to keep children safe. It doesn't have to be different just because she is there.