PDA

View Full Version : EYFS & new government

Gherkin
01-06-2010, 04:31 PM
What do you think will happen to the EYFS now that we have a new government? Do you think they will keep it the same, change it or scrap it for something else entirely?

TammyN
01-06-2010, 04:48 PM
i'm sure they will replacing EYFS with something, prob less educational and more care aimed as i don't think we will be under the new 'Education' bracket.

it's a shame i like the EYFS and am really beginning to see the benefits, hope they don't but guess we will see.

Mollymop
01-06-2010, 04:57 PM
I did read that they (the new government) are concerned about Childminders giving up due to all the knew requirements and paperwork.

I think they will make the EYFS opinional for homebased childcarers - I live in hope - hope that doesn't make me sound a poor childminder, but sitting here writing up reports and risk assessments is not my idea of how to care properly for children in my setting. Though it is not a "bad" thing, it is not something, myself, as a parent wouldn't want "my" childminder doing. As long as the children are well cared for and gots lots of opportunities to learn about the world and busy doing things with the minder and other children - IMO that's enough. (for me anyways:thumbsup: )

mum26
01-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Although I find it difficult to have enough time to keep up with all the paperwork I do like the fact that I am seen to provide the same care and education as nurseries and the reception year of infants. I'm not sure what changes will be made but I hope that we will still be seen in a professional light.

vickieford85
01-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Heres hoping they simplfy it

carolyn01
01-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Well I hope they just leave us to get on with our jobs as fab childminders without all the paperwork that goes with it. It drives me mad, obs, planning, learning journals etc. I would be happy to still do learning journals for parent's benefit not for busy bodies checking up on what we do. As long as we keep up our first aid, safeguarding and attend relevant courses, just leave us to get on with our jobs without feeling we are being watched all the time !!!

sandy64
01-06-2010, 06:25 PM
i think it will stay the same at least for a couple of yrs. :) i dont mind it now and wouldnt like to start something new

Carol M
01-06-2010, 06:31 PM
I think EYFS will be scaled down and Ofsted will tell us exactly what paperwork needs to be done so no more stressing if we are doing too much or not enough.
Thank heavens, life will be much more enjoyable. We will hopefully have a life outside EYFS!
Carol x

Heaven Scent
01-06-2010, 06:36 PM
I think EYFS will be scaled down and Ofsted will tell us exactly what paperwork needs to be done so no more stressing if we are doing too much or not enough. Thank heavens, life will be much more enjoyable. We will hopefully have a life outside EYFS!
Carol x

Ding a ling a ling its morning time - wake up and smell the coffee - when have ofsted EVER told anyone exactly what they want us to do??????????

nannymcflea
01-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Ding a ling a ling its morning time - wake up and smell the coffee - when have ofsted EVER told anyone exactly what they want us to do??????????

They can't because they don't know what they're doing themselves!:rolleyes:

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
01-06-2010, 07:37 PM
My friend had her inspection last week and the inspector told her she is almost certain that it is going to change as they all concerned about all the childminders that have given up since the EYFS came into place and the fact that alot of the inspectors do not like it neither.

TheBTeam
01-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Tbh for now I would rather they sorted out some of the more serious messes that this country has, I have managed of a fashion with the EYFS, and whatever they put in place the care I give to the children wont change, so maybe they are betting not wasting any more money on this for a while yet!

Carol M
01-06-2010, 08:52 PM

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: you are absolutely right. I can dream tho!
Carol x

P.Miracle
02-06-2010, 12:13 AM
As a new childminder coming into the game, I can say that I can understand why a lot of childminders have retired due to the EYFS coming in- I wouldn't like it if I had been doing my the job forthe past X amount of years and then someone coming along and making all those changes. So I do sympathise with those who felt like they had to quit because of it, but that was their choice.

I was intimidated by the sheer amount of paperwork to beging with, but I feel lucky enough that my age and confidence with using the internet and my computer have given me plenty of advantage, inspiration and resources for tackling the mountain.

And yes, it was hard work, but you get out of it what you put in!!! I look at all the stuff I've got in place and I don't think "oh my goodness all that work" I think "Look at what I've done!"

I agree with people on here that I think EYFS is a great idea, makes sure everyone is on the same page and brings a more professional status to childminding. I like the fact I provide the same level of care as a nursery/ pre-scool setting.

EYFS may not be seen by some as "childminder friendly" but it was there to make sure children are recieving quality care.

So for those of you who are finding it a struggle...why not look into support for doing your paperwork or get access to an internet/ basic computer skills course so you can get additional help to resources? And those of you who find it annoying- maybe you'd better look at your perspective of it and change the way you do things so it's more manageable and enjoyable for you to do?

I hope the new government help to provide more support for childminders in regards to training and start up funds.

nannymcflea
02-06-2010, 03:30 AM
Miracle. Thats a very positive and proactive approach.:thumbsup:

tinkerbelle
02-06-2010, 08:41 AM
for one hope they scrap it alltogether as far as im concerned the amount of paperwork is unrealistic for us as childminders
someone has said it put's us equal to day nurserys and reception classes i personnally dont think it does a teacher gets paid for spending time out of working hours to do her write up and planning they also get a certain amount of time durning the school day to do it whilst someone else looks after the class in a day nursery there are numerous members of staff to enable the paperwork side to be completed at work during the working hours unfortunatly i do not have this luxury neither do i have government funded spaces as im not accredited so how can it put us as equals
tbh i do the bare minimum needed now on the eyfs as to start with i was working from 6 am until 10 pm 5 nights a week then spending my weekends doing paperwork there was no way i could continue doing this as iv also got 3 small kids of my own and sorry but spending time with them is way more important than doing paperwork in my own time that im NOT getting paid extra to do

gigglinggoblin
02-06-2010, 08:51 AM
I would be happy to keep EYFS for accredited childminders, that would seem fair. One of my parents thinks its all ridiculous, she has no interest in all the paperwork and doesnt think I should bother. Other parent hasnt said so but I dont think they are particularly taken by it. If I had a very young chld with a childminder I would prefer them to not fo EYFS, I would rather they put their energy into the child than the paperwork.

KarenM
02-06-2010, 11:47 AM
As a previous deputy manager at a nursery I implemented the EYFS in 2008 with the setting. The way I implemented it was to streamline the paperwork that had to be completed for the previous foundation stage and actually find the EYFS much less time consuming. I no longer have to work on long term plans over the year, followed by medium term plans for each month and then weekly plans around a set theme. I can now focus my attention on the child and plan activities that excite and stimulate them and watch them explore and learn naturally.

A lot of the paperwork and methods I developed I have bought over to childminding, with a few adaptations to make it suitable for home based care. I have made it more flexible to reflect the changes in routine. I would like it to continue in its essence, after all it was developed to meet the Every Child Matters and I don't think 2 years is enough time to decide if it has been effective.

P.Miracle
03-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Miracle. Thats a very positive and proactive approach.:thumbsup:

Thank you! =) Guess I'm still smiling cuz I'm a newbie and haven't had the years of experience crushing my spirit lol!