PDA

View Full Version : share your thoughts please on

gigglinggoblin
01-06-2010, 03:17 PM
not being available due to appointments when you have a child who comes random hours. I need to make a doctors appointment and mum never lets me know until last minute when she needs me for the week. I have sent texts before but I feel like I am asking for permission, does anyone have this situation and what do you do? I cant take child with me this time. I will prob end up texting anyway but wondered what other people did (I only work part time so this child has a full time place available but only pays for hours he is here)

mama2three
01-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Is there a genuine reason why she cant tell you sooner what her hours will be , or is she just disorganised? I have a mum a bit like this too!
I would tell her you need to know the hours a week in advance as you have other committments. If she hasnt let you know then she risks you being unavailable. If she wants you to be available for all hours she should pay for all hours.

SmartKids
01-06-2010, 03:30 PM
How about booking your appt then letting the parent know the hours you will be available on that day due to a prior comittment - can you offer to take lil one with you but stress the time you will be leaving - good luck

snufflepuff
01-06-2010, 03:31 PM
I think you should go ahead and book your appointment then call or text Mum to say you are not avaliable at that particular time. That way you have let her know in advance so she can make other arrangements if she needs to.

Goatgirl
01-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Hi :),
What did you agree on signing contracts? Remind her of that if its just that she's not sticking to the agreed notice.

I'd just say you can't guarantee to be available if you don't get enough notice and even with there will be times when you have to take time off unavoidably. If you have been given notice of hours but cannot accommodate, you won't charge.
Its not your responsibility to be finding out the hours she wants before you can sort out your own life, its up to her to confirm with you as soon as possible, so that she'll have time to make alternative arrangements should you not be able to accommodate her, surely? If she's only paying for what she uses and you keep all week free for her, she's got an amazingly good deal.

In this instance I'd let her know you have booked an appt and if she complains just refer her to whatever agreement you have in place. If you don't have one, how about you arrange for a contract review and explain your difficulty and what you need her to do in order to be able to keep offering her the pay as you go arrangement.

Bws,
Wendy :)

AliceK
01-06-2010, 03:48 PM
How about booking your appt then letting the parent know the hours you will be available on that day due to a prior comittment - can you offer to take lil one with you but stress the time you will be leaving - good luck

This is what I would do in your shoes :thumbsup:

xxxxxx

caz3007
01-06-2010, 03:50 PM
I have a mum who is similar, only find out on a saturday what I will be working for the week and she only pays for what she uses with a mininum of 10 hours a week.

I would make the appointment and then telephone her to let her know what time the appointment is and that you arent available for that time. I am lucky cos my mum can arrange other childcare if necessary

gigglinggoblin
01-06-2010, 06:39 PM
We have 'hours as agreed weekly' on the contract so either of us could lose out I guess, its just that this suits us both atm.

She is just disorganised, I knew what days I was having him before half term but a couple of times I didnt know what time he would be coming other than between 7.30 and 8.30 (and then he was late!), they have been late collecting a few times too so I dont want to be a doormat but I didnt want to be unfair either.

I will text to say I am unavailbleand add that if she lets me know in advance I will be sure to be free but its a pitb not knowing what I am doing next week or the one after as now I am not even sure of which days she needs. She doesnt have alternative childcare so it would be dropping her in it if I said no. Makes me feel much better that lots of you all agree, thanks for the opinions!

The Juggler
01-06-2010, 09:09 PM
This is what I would do in your shoes :thumbsup:

xxxxxx

me too, I would book it up and tell her I'm not available on xx day.:)

Chatterbox Childcare
01-06-2010, 09:11 PM
If mum doesn't let you know until the last minute, ask her for the next 2 weeks and explain about the appot. If she cannot tell you, make the appt and let her know when it is and she will have to work around you