PDA

View Full Version : Transporting Schema - advice please

Spangles
26-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Okay, I'm going to ask really stupid questions now so please bear with me!

I have a 12 month old who seems to have a very strong transporting schema - he loves picking things up and putting them one place then picking them up and putting them somewhere else - over and over - very cute to see! He also likes to pick things up and give them to you and then take them back and give them to you again, etc, etc. He likes to pick things up and put them in boxes and bags too. He likes carrying as much as he can get in his little arms!

Right, so, what can I do with him to encourage and allow for this? I've thought of getting a box and seeing if he will put things in and out, getting the toy cars out, getting a ball to roll out. Is there anything else?

Plus - this is the really stupid question now - what is the reason behind developing this? Is it because it's obviously the way his mind works at the moment so he will learn from it?

I'm very happy to help him with this but want to fully understand the reasoning behind it if you see what I mean.

Sorry, I know I'm being dim!

jo f
26-03-2008, 11:37 PM
A treasure basket would be good for this and cover a lot, sensory, exploration . There is a lot about them on threads on this site. I think they are fab for younger and older babies, you can use all sorts and also theme them. Its amazing how engrosed they are!

Spangles
26-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Thanks Jo.

It was actually by sitting back and observing him with my treasure basket that this really came to the fore so he does like it.

He doesn't really explore it as such, he just picks out things and takes them about the room, putting them down and picking them up again and giving them to me and taking them back again!

What is he learning from doing that?

RainbowMum
26-03-2008, 11:43 PM
I think one of the points of recognising a schema is to use it to develop other areas of learning, e.g. giving a selection of coloured balls to transport and pointing out the different colours, asking if he can identify the blue ones etc, you can extend it to anything - animals, shapes etc. or counting as he picks things up & puts them down.

Spangles
26-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Oh I see!!!!!!

Of course!

Cool, thank you!

At the moment when he passes me things I say 'thank you' so I guess he's learning that and I name what it is and what he's doing etc so I guess at the moment he's following his schema but it's leading to him learning a lot of language which I will develop as he gets older to include more colours and counting, etc.

Makes sense now! Thank you!

crazybones
27-03-2008, 07:28 AM
My 2 year old used to do this when he was about 12 months old, by 16-18 months he had progressed to actually sorting things into piles by recognition eg all the red blocks would be placed in one pile by the couch, all the yellow blocks would be in a pile at your feet and so on. He then progressed to putting the blue train with the blue pile, the green train with the green pile. At his 2 year check the HV gave him a box of blocks to build and he sorted them into colours instead. She was very impressed. Now my eldest son did the same thing which we didnt recognise as being "special" being the first and all that. He is now in year 6 and has been identified as gifted and talented in Maths and was invited to attend the Senior school once a week for maths lessons. I am hoping Will is the same way. My advice would be to encourage him and see how he progresses with little boxes to put similar things in a group eg by colours or type. Sorry if this is a bit waffley!

sarah707
27-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Transporting Schema info from Exeter Sure Start (they have a bit of info about all of them on their site) -

A child with a transporting schema moves everything from one place to another. This is a common schema in toddlers. If you have a transporter nothing will ever be in its place!
A child who transport may:-
· Put sand in a bucket and move it to another area
· Take things from one place to another in prams, trolleys and bags.
· Go back and forth bringing you items from around the room.

If your child has a transporting schema offer them items such as
· A collection of bags and boxes
· Pushchairs and trucks
· Pasta and other items to transport

Good intro to Schemas ...

http://www.visionwebsites.co.uk/Contents/Text/Index.asp?SiteId=468&SiteExtra=17910327&TopNavId=642&NavSideId=8919

Interesting online book - a bit heavy, but explains why schemas are so important...

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=8oq7TeFHx2cC&pg=PA101&lpg=PA101&dq=transporting+schema&source=web&ots=ADzJH3oF9h&sig=eycPIaWYAWjA9CikyPzIrmr0GgU&hl=en#PPA101,M1

I was doing this yesterday for an essay! Hope it helps :D

angeldelight
27-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Good advice from everyone Lorri

Have fun

Angel xx

Spangles
27-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks everyone, esp Sarah! I find this sort of thing so interesting! I guess once I start doing a course I will be more aware of this sort of thing? Hope so!

deeb66
27-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the links http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Winks/ok-wink.gif

buildingblocks
29-03-2008, 04:41 PM
If you are interested check out the Pen Green (think that is the right name) as they did a lot of work into schemas