PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

Pipsqueak
26-03-2008, 09:23 PM
I haven;t got a problem just after some advice really please.

What would be deemed acceptable methods of restraining a child from hurting themselves or others or damaging property?

sarah707
26-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Anything that stops them from hurting themselves within reason... if you grab a hood to stop them running into the road, you'll get, 'You nearly strangled me' rather than, 'Thank you for saving my life'... but at least they're not crushed under a bus...

That's the way it was explained to me years ago on a course :D

Blaze
26-03-2008, 09:40 PM
I agree with Sarah!
Tasha:)

wendywu
26-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Straight jackets:laughing:

Lou
26-03-2008, 09:54 PM
:laughing: Lock them in a cupboard?

Pipsqueak
26-03-2008, 10:05 PM
So for instance you grabbed them by the arm would that be acceptable (I am talking in exceptional circumstances) or you cuddled them in if they were in a blind rage and hitting out at people or damaging things.

The cupboard idea appeals for all sorts of things;)

angeldelight
26-03-2008, 10:08 PM
I think that sounds fine Vik

Is there any reason you are asking?

Angel xx

Lou
26-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Yes that sounds ok Vik, anything you have to do to keep them safe x

John
26-03-2008, 10:10 PM
It all depends on the child, age, behaviour and development, I work as a special needs respite carer and I’m trained in restraining a child so he/she can’t hart themselves. Of course you will do anything to stop a child hurting themselves, but if the child as no road sense that child should have a safety harness on. Or if a child is in danger in your home and does not suffer from H.A.D you can place the child between your Leggs as you sit on the flour with the child’s arms folded across each other, as your body will act like a barrier until the child calms down. You should never hold a child with H.A.D as this will make the child worse (but if you need to you to stop the child hurting his self you do anything to shop the child do any harm), but the best metherd is between your leggs make sure that anything harmful is out of arms way and keep a eye on the child at alll time. Like the child crossing the road your reaction is to pull his hood but that would save the child from getting knock over, depending on the child it might of squished his wind pipe as this as happened to someone I know. If your in reach of a child put your arm around his waist and pull the child back towards you. Be we forget these when a child is in danger.

John.

angeldelight
26-03-2008, 10:11 PM
How are you John

Angel xx

Pipsqueak
26-03-2008, 10:12 PM
A couple of minder friends and me were talking about what would be considered reasonable (one of them has a minded child (age 4) who goes into real red eye mist paddies) and I said I thought that cuddling them in would be ok but she disagreed.
Just wanted to get your thoughts about it and I also thought that you have to have training to "restrain" someone (as they do in care homes).

Pipsqueak
26-03-2008, 10:16 PM
It all depends on the child, age, behaviour and development, I work as a special needs respite carer and I’m trained in restraining a child so he/she can’t hart themselves. Of course you will do anything to stop a child hurting themselves, but if the child as no road sense that child should have a safety harness on. Or if a child is in danger in your home and does not suffer from H.A.D you can place the child between your knees with the child’s arms folded across each other, as your body will act like a barrier until the child calms down. You should never hold a child with H.A.D as this will make the child worse make sure that anything harmful is out of arms way and keep a eye on the child at alll time. Like the child crossing the road your reaction is to pull his hood but that would save the child from getting knock over, depending on the child it might of squished his wind pipe as this as happened to someone I know. If your in reach of a child put your arm around his waist and pull the child back towards you. Be we forget these when a child is in danger.

John.

Thats great John - thank you. Am I being a bit slow - H.A.D?

Could you explain about holding a child between your knees please - you are sat on the floor, on a chair? When you say arms folded - you hold the child in this position?

I must admit I would be extremely reluctant to do this for fear of hurting a child (or any come back on me I suppose) but of course I would do my utmost to stop a child hurting themselves (always use reins etc) or others.

Haven't seen you around for a while John - are you well?

John
26-03-2008, 10:17 PM
[hope you are ok John ?

Angel xx[/QUOTE]

I'm good thank's

John
26-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Thats great John - thank you. Am I being a bit slow - H.A.D?

Could you explain about holding a child between your knees please - you are sat on the floor, on a chair? When you say arms folded - you hold the child in this position?

I must admit I would be extremely reluctant to do this for fear of hurting a child (or any come back on me I suppose) but of course I would do my utmost to stop a child hurting themselves (always use reins etc) or others.

Haven't seen you around for a while John - are you well?

All depends if the other children are safe when you have the child that might harm his/her self. Depending on the age of the child, Just gently hold the child and yourself site down on the floor with your back leaning agenst a will or cupboad opening your leggs placing the child inbetween, take the child's wrists and cross then, now you have the child save in your leggs and you have the child's arms in saves way. Just talk to the child and see if you can make a game or try to get the child to sing a song etc. hope i've put it across ok. ADHD or (H.A.D) i call it

no i've been fishing alot at night

John.

Pipsqueak
26-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Thats great thank John

Were the fish biting well???:D

John
26-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Thats great thank John

Were the fish biting well???:D

Yes two to take home, Taking one of the mindees weekend he loves it.

John

Twinkles
26-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Have a large roll of gaffa tape handy :D

wendywu
26-03-2008, 11:31 PM
Super glue them to the ceiling:laughing:

RainbowMum
26-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the advice about stopping a child running John, I have a 3 year old daughter who can be at times 'difficult' about holding hands etc and I have on occasion grabbed her hood to stop her - will bare that in mind! Hvae no additional advice to the OP though - sorry xx

miffy
27-03-2008, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the tips john

Miffy xx