PDA

View Full Version : How far in advance do you get enquiries?

Ritaroo
31-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Dear all

I know this may seem an odd question but wondered how far in advance you tend to get enquiries. I am trying to decide whether I am taking a risk of having no-one if I do not take someone on for August.

I am registered to take 2 under 5, have 1 of my own. Have been minding since last Sept but 1 LO will be finishing at beginning July and another towards the end. Therefore I will have 2 spaces. I have a 3 and 5 year old myself so was planning to take summer off and hope to get enquiries to start in September.

I have had a couple so far but they have not come back to me yet. However I have one person who seems likely to want me to look after a 7 month old from 1st August for 3 full days a week. Haven't agreed to this yet as I am not sure I want such a little one over the summer as it will limit what we can do. Am I mad? Should I just take it?

What I am wondering is how far in advance you get queries and whether I can risk holding out for someone to start in September instead. I know this means I will have no money over the summer but feel I should spend some time just with my own littlies. Any advice welcome.

funfunfun
31-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Hya

Of recent i have had lots for september .

If i where you if you have this kind of enquiry id charge a deposit for a weekly retainer until they are ready to start ....this would be to hold the place

Its up to you weather you charge a full retainer or half x

Gizmo
31-05-2010, 06:14 PM
I am getting a few enquires for August - thats when the schools go back up here, but both of my mindees parents came to see me one week and the los started the following week. I have had an enquiry for January 2011 Mum is calling back nearer the time :clapping:

The Juggler
01-06-2010, 07:23 AM
this time of year often get enquiries for Sept and Jan next year.

AliceK
01-06-2010, 07:33 AM
Hi

I've had a few enquiries recently for Sept / Oct time and took a deposit in April for 2 spaces not starting until August. That said I am always also getting enquiries for more or less immediate starts as well.

If you can afford to take some time off over the summer to spend with your own LO's then that sounds like heaven :)

xxxxx

Ritaroo
01-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Thanks for your replies. I love the idea of taking some time off but also don't want to miss out on what could be the only offer of work I get for the sake of a few weeks off. I also don't like letting people down as I told them I was available....

Oh dear need to decide soon. I am veering towards accepting it as it is 3 full days a week and there is no guarantee the other enquiries will come to anything. Not a bad problem to have though I guess.

Louise_Oaktree
01-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Could you not say you have a holiday/break planned for say 2 weeks in August? Then you can have some time to yourself and still take the mindee on?

Ripeberry
01-06-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm going to be re-advertising as my mindee's mum is taking full maternity leave (12 months), but will still send lo to me, but I have a feeling he will notice that mum is spending time with baby ;)
I'm going to say on my advert that spaces will be available from September.