PDA

View Full Version : back up childminders

julie w
31-05-2010, 12:44 PM
I had to go away for a family funeral last week at short notice. I asked a friend if she would mind one of my mindees for me for the 3 days. (my friend is a reg childminder by the way). All was fine. The parent had already paid me in advance at the begining of the month. So I told my friend I would pay her myself. She charges £5 a day more than me so I paid her including an extra £15 more than I was paid. However she now says she should have charged me an extra £5 a day on top of this because it was emergency care. It's not fair to ask the parent for more cos its not her fault but I think its a bit mean. Do you think I should pay?

Toothfairy
31-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Some friend!

If she did not state that there would be an additional £5 per child for emergency care when the booking was taken, then NO you should not have to pay it.

The Juggler
31-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Personally I would have made the parent pay the extra. It's your job to help find cover but not fork out for it hon. They always have the option to take the day off work:(

I also think your friend is veyr cheeky. Some emergency cover - they are supposed to help out not take the opportunity to make a quick buck over and above being paid for the work they do:panic:

Mookins
31-05-2010, 01:37 PM
what a cheek, i shouldnt waste your time with her again hun, shes no friend:(

FussyElmo
31-05-2010, 01:38 PM
What a cheek!!

When I have done cover for my friend and she was cheaper than me I charged what she normally got paid. If it was for a cm unknown to me I would charge my normal rate.

I would change your back up childminder.

Cant believe she had the cheek to ask for extra on top :eek:

Alibali
31-05-2010, 02:16 PM
I can't believe that!!! If I cover for a friend I only charge whatever my friend charges, wouldn't dream of charging any more, in fact depending on the reason for care (ie a funeral or something) I don't charge at all and let my friend keep the money so she's not so much out of pocket! I take the money for holiday cover but only at their normal rate - not mine,

Chimps Childminding
31-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Some friend :eek: June and I are lucky in that we charge the same so there is no problem there!! But to ask for extra (on top of the £5 a day more than you were being paid) because it was an emergency is just downright taking the p*** :angry:

I would have looked on it as a bit extra that I could spend on something frivilous (sp):D

Pipsqueak
31-05-2010, 02:52 PM
What a cheeky moobag and I would not consider that a friendship - professional or personal.

If she didn't state the fees correctly up front I do not see that she can add additional fees now tell her to kiss your...... contract!

I think that was brilliant of you to fork over the extra £15 but i would not have done it, it would have been up to the parent.

Me and my back up minders (friends) have agreed between ourselves that if we have to provide care for each other then we will honour the contract agreement that the minder has with the client. We are all slightly different in the prices - up to a £1 difference per hour but some charge for food some don't. Its a plan that has worked out brilliantly between us all, L my very good friend (and sons minder) has cared for 2 of my mindees over the last year, I have cared for 2 of hers, etc.....

manjay
31-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Well out of order imho!!!! and I wouldn't have paid the extra either. Luckily my hubby steps in if I ever need a day off and he does it cos he loves me;) but if we had to both be off I would just give the phone numbers of the other 2 minders in the village and leave it up to the parents.

carol cameron
31-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Totally agree with everyone who says this is out of order. When I cover for anyone I honour the price that the parent would normally pay them and thats the way its always worked. I actually think you were extremely generous to pay the extra £5 and am shocked that she would add to the price afterwards. You need to find someone else to cover you in future, if you need backup.

onceinabluemoon
31-05-2010, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't have paid the initial top up either but too late for that...

I think your friend is right to charge five pounds extra for emergency care. And I think you should charge ten pounds 'finder's fee' since you passed the work on to her ;)

Seriously though, blinking cheek, tell her on her bike and send work elsewhere in future! x

TheBTeam
31-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Like your thinking onceinabluemoon!

I also do the same with my childminder friends we have agreed that we will pass on money at our rate (whether higher or lower) and the friend will honour to provide whatever we do for that money, irrespective of whether it is better or worse than they would charge independently.

If the parent pays it to us we pass it over, if not sometimes we agree with the parents to pay the emergency cover directly, but either way we are friends, we do charge to do it, as we have all been in financial difficulty at one point or another.

I think this person has a cheek, especially as an afterthought, but i wouldnt have paid it even if she had said it before.

The Juggler
01-06-2010, 07:25 AM
I think your friend is right to charge five pounds extra for emergency care. And I think you should charge ten pounds 'finder's fee' since you passed the work on to her ;)

:laughing: :laughing: love it !

wendywu
01-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Some friend, quite happy to loose a friendship for £15.00.

But does she realise you paid the money out of your own pocket because this is not common practice.:idea:

I would have put the ball in the parents court for the first £15.00, i would have told them i could find cover but she charges extra do they want to use her.

As for your so called friend i would tell her to contact the parents direct for any extra and see if she has the gall to do so after the event.

But DO NOT pay any more out of your own pocket.:thumbsup:

Twinklestars
01-06-2010, 11:15 AM
But does she realise you paid the money out of your own pocket because this is not common practice.:idea:

I would have put the ball in the parents court for the first £15.00, i would have told them i could find cover but she charges extra do they want to use her.

As for your so called friend i would tell her to contact the parents direct for any extra and see if she has the gall to do so after the event.

But DO NOT pay any more out of your own pocket.:thumbsup:

Totally agree, tell her to contact the parents, they could have taken the time off or found their own cover :thumbsup: