View Full Version : tax question please

31-05-2010, 08:31 AM
I have been childminding from march when do I have to submit my first tax returns and Pay NI

The Juggler
31-05-2010, 09:20 AM
july if you want them to calculate the tax bill for you otherwise you need to pay by Jan 2011 (31st I think)

31-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Payment of National Insurance contributions (Class 2) is separate from tax return. You should have already registered with the National Insurance Contributions Office for this.

I get a bill every three months and pay at the Post Office.

Saying that, if you earn over a certain amount at the end of the tax year you will also have to pay Class 4 National Insurance contributions which is calculated and added to your final tax bill.

31-05-2010, 08:09 PM
i had a certificate to say I didnt have to pay nat ins last year, do I have to renew it do you know? I dont think I will earn enough over the year to pay but I am not sure how they work it out when sometimes I earn enough one week but nothing the next

31-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Hi gigglinggobblin - not sure if you have to renew your cert. - there's plenty of info on the national insurance website and there's a helpline number.

I choose to pay the £2.40 per week NI contributions - you can opt out of this but I pay mine to make sure I qualify for the basic state pension and other benefits.

The Class 4 NI contributions I wish I didn't have to pay but they take this out of your tax if you earn over a certain amount. This to me is just another tax on top of your tax bill.

31-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Thanks catswhiskas, dont know why I didnt think of looking on the website, thanks for the reply. I thought about paying the £2.40 last time but didnt know if I would be earning anything then, might look into it again.