PDA

View Full Version : Pre-reg course

meganbell04
31-05-2010, 06:41 AM
Hi all, I have just booked my pre-reg course for the 8th June and am just wondering roughly how long it will take to get up and running. I know that I have to do the ICP course and am wondering how to go about this. Also what happens at the pre-reg course do they just give you a load of paperwork and send you away or explain everything in detail

tulip0803
01-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Hi and welcome.

The CSSIW aim to have everyone registered within 6 months of recieving the application forms - However mine took 11 months but others have taken less time. You have to keep ringing CSSIW to keep them going as they are sooo busy.

If you are booked on the breifing session they will explain to you the application process & how to book onto the courses that you need and give you the application forms and tell you in what order they want you to do things. The idea of a breifing session is to see if you understand the implications of becoming registered and to ensure that you want to continue & actually apply. Many people still think childminding involves plonking children in front of the tv while they get on with their cleaning or have cuppas etc. You have an opportunity to ask questions so you may want to write some down before you go.

The ICP goes into detail about childminding and what you need to do etc. In my area they also had mentoring sessions from the NCMA to help with the application form & policies & procedures etc.

Good luck

Ticktoria
02-06-2010, 08:28 PM
At my pre-reg course there was a NCMA rep who gave everyone a booklet of ICP course dates, you can do the course by distance learning as well.

BlondeMoment
02-06-2010, 09:04 PM
OK, I keep hearing about ICP courses? What is it? I'm a newly registered childminder. Have done the pre reg course (DHC Unit 1). Should I be doing something else?

To answer your question it took me 9 months from the time I began my course to become registered. ****** CRB didn't help by losing my application LOL!

tulip0803
03-06-2010, 09:25 PM
OK, I keep hearing about ICP courses? What is it? I'm a newly registered childminder. Have done the pre reg course (DHC Unit 1). Should I be doing something else?

To answer your question it took me 9 months from the time I began my course to become registered. ****** CRB didn't help by losing my application LOL!

ICP is unit 1 of the DHC. Before DHC the qualification was Certificate in Childminding Practice & the first part was called Introduction to Childminding Practice. Some councils still refer to it as ICP. So you do not need to do it as it is the same:rolleyes:

meganbell04
04-06-2010, 06:37 AM
thank you all have been very helpful. Looking forward to it now have been doing loads of research into childminding and think its ideal to fit around bringing up my son even though there is a lot of hard work and paperwork

aly
06-06-2010, 08:40 PM
where abouts are you?

BlondeMoment
09-06-2010, 02:21 PM
ICP is unit 1 of the DHC. Before DHC the qualification was Certificate in Childminding Practice & the first part was called Introduction to Childminding Practice. Some councils still refer to it as ICP. So you do not need to do it as it is the same:rolleyes:

Oh thank god LOL! Thought I was in trouble then:o

meganbell04
12-06-2010, 02:29 PM
I live in Blaenau Gwent but went to the nantgarw pre-reg briefing as that was the phone number i was given from NCMA. Found out that at the moment there is no funding for the ICP course so will have to try and get on one in september. They didnt even have application forms to give out as they had run out we have to wait for more to be printed.