PDA

View Full Version : let 12 year old push buggy???

BlondeMoment
30-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Not really sure which catergory to enter this in but here goes:

This coming wednesday I have my usual two 1 year olds and an 8 year old on half term holiday. I have also been asked to have a 2.5 year old - no prob at all. Quite happy. Not over numbers or anything. My 12 year old cousin has asked me if she can come along and "help me" :littleangel: as she loves children. Fantastic! No prob. :D

What I wanted to ask was: it's looking to be a nice day so wanted to take a pic nic to the park which is a 15 min walk from the house. Do you think it would be OK to let my 12 year old cousin take a buggy as well as the double I will have? I could put the two year old on walking reigns but not sure how far she'd walk and there's no way I could carry her with a double buggy to push. Seems logical (and fun for my cousin) to give her a buggy to take one of them in. We're only on the road a very short time then off into a walk way. I'd have her walking on the inner side of the pavement and would feel much more in control than having the two year old on reigns. I think she'd manage fine. What do you guys think? Or would it be something Ofsted would frown on ya think? :)

Cazz
30-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Are any of those little ones you're own?

Personally, I would probably let the 12 year old push my own little one but not a mindee. My own dd is 12 and very mature so she would be more than capable but I think I'd rather not let her push a mindee just in case something happens - I'm not sure that Ofsted would look very favourably on it as you should only be taking an amount of children at anyone time that you, as the childminder, can give complete care for (unless you employ an assistant but obviously this wouldn't apply to your 12 year old cousin!)

When I collect a 4 year old from nursery I put my own 2 year old daughter on reins while I carry the 13 mth old baby inside to collect her. When we come out I put the baby in the double buggy and let the 4 year old hold my dd's reins until we get to the school gates, then my dd goes in the buggy too. She feels very important "helping" me but I would never let her do this with another mindee - it's only because it's my own daughter.

BlondeMoment
30-05-2010, 09:47 PM
none are my own but the two year old is a relative.
What are the rules about taking certain amounts of children out then? Must have missed that. Did my course as home study so turns out I've missed quite alot of important stuff

Cazz
30-05-2010, 09:54 PM
none are my own but the two year old is a relative.
What are the rules about taking certain amounts of children out then? Must have missed that. Did my course as home study so turns out I've missed quite alot of important stuff

Well if the two year old is a relative maybe you could ask the parent if they would be okay with your 12 year old cousin pushing the buggy - supervised at all times of course.

Sorry, that was probably a bit garbled before - I didn't mean numbers specifically on outings, I was meaning that Ofsted would expect you to have given consideration to the practicalities of taking children out before taking new mindees on. I assume the 2 year old is only going to be with you for the one day anyway so that doesn't really apply so just ignore me!!

Hope you have a good time at the park and the weather stays fine for you!

Cazz
30-05-2010, 09:54 PM
I didn't know you could do the ICP course as a home study?

PixiePetal
30-05-2010, 10:23 PM
I would give plenty of time and have the 2yr old walking on reins by the side of my buggy. Don't rush it, make the walk interesting and part of your trip - looking out for things.

sweets
31-05-2010, 07:13 AM
if you think the 12 year old is mature enough then i would just let her push the buggy! you will be supervising all the time so i cant see the harm in it. just keep them on the inside.

Hebs
31-05-2010, 07:15 AM
my daughter pushes our buggy she's 13, personally i cant see the harm in it as long as she is supervised

gigglinggoblin
31-05-2010, 07:32 AM
I dont let my (slightly younger than your cousin) kids push the buggy because if it tips they wont have the strength to keep it upright and as they like to go fast the chances of it tipping are too great to ignore. If you dont think that will be an issue and you are careful around roads I would risk assess it as safe enough, as a 12 year old I could have done it (but then I was more sensible than my boys!)

TheBTeam
31-05-2010, 09:27 AM
I wonder what people would think when you are out and about, what do you think it would look like having a child push a buggy, if you are pushing another, imo i think it would look a bit like you were overstretched, more so than if you had the double buggy and a child walking on reins (you can attach a wrist strap to give more space from the pram to make walking easier), and then get your cousin to hold their hand.

Mouse
31-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Personally I wouldn't be relying on a 12 yr old to push a buggy. I think it's fine if she takes over pushing yours for a while, but I wouldn't be going out if the only way I could do it was with her having to push a buggy ... does that make sense? If I couldn't manage the children myself, I wouldn't go.

I have had my 16yr old son push a pushchair before (me with a double, him with a single), but I wouldn't do it with a 12 year old, unless she was pushing my own child.

Donkey
31-05-2010, 10:12 AM
interesting thread, I have let my 12 (nearly 13) push the double buggy but will now re-think this! we never crossed main roads and its made her re-think a possible carrer in childcare!

I could easily manage without her as I do on a tuesday but thought it was nice for her to help, give her a task so she didnt get bored and gave her a sense of self importance and boost her confidence!

interesting!

providing we have risk assessed it shouldn't that be enough from an ofsted point of view, and to prevent the pram falling when toppling we could use a wrist strap to tie pram to arm of older child?

think I will let 12 year old hold my dd hand!

BlondeMoment
31-05-2010, 10:31 AM
I could definately manage the two year old on walking reigns. It's not because I don't feel capable. I'm very strict when we're out and about and all the children are very well controlled ad used to outings and the procedures we follow. I just thought it might be nice to let my 12 year old cousin take a buggy And that it may in fact be easier. She's very grown up and would take it very seriously. I will ask my parents how they feel. I've risk assessed the trip as we go often.
Thanks guys for your input x

nokidshere
31-05-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm not sure what possible harm could come to a child being pushed in a buggy by a 12 year old walking next to you?

Keep her on the inside for safety's sake near a road, but other than that I can't see a problem with it.

onceinabluemoon
31-05-2010, 10:40 AM
My 14 Yo pushes a buggy (with written parental consent) often and has done since he was just 13...

BlondeMoment
31-05-2010, 01:58 PM
I didn't know you could do the ICP course as a home study?

I did the DHC Unit 1 as home based study. Yet to do any others

nannymcflea
31-05-2010, 04:36 PM
I personally wouldn't. I'm not sure insurance would cover an accident to a mindee when under the control of a 12 year old.

I'm not saying she or you would be in any way irresponsible but am just looking at it from another point of view for you.:)

AnnieM
31-05-2010, 05:03 PM
I can't personally see a problem with a 12 year old pushing a buggy. I think sometimes we worry too much about what other people think. As long as the parents are aware that you have a 'helper' for the day and are happy with it I don't think it's an issue. I used to look after 2 sisters many years ago that were only 7 months apart in age ( the younger one was born premature) and whilst I would never have trusted the younger one to push the buggy (she was waaayyy too imature) the older one was actually taller and stronger than me by the time she was 9!! :eek: I never had an issue at all with her pushing the buggy, helping on the park etc., as she was an INCREDIBLY sensible and grown up girl for her age. I think you know your cousin and children best. :thumbsup:

nikim
01-06-2010, 08:45 AM
I can't personally see a problem with a 12 year old pushing a buggy. I think sometimes we worry too much about what other people think. As long as the parents are aware that you have a 'helper' for the day and are happy with it I don't think it's an issue. I used to look after 2 sisters many years ago that were only 7 months apart in age ( the younger one was born premature) and whilst I would never have trusted the younger one to push the buggy (she was waaayyy too imature) the older one was actually taller and stronger than me by the time she was 9!! :eek: I never had an issue at all with her pushing the buggy, helping on the park etc., as she was an INCREDIBLY sensible and grown up girl for her age. I think you know your cousin and children best. :thumbsup:

i agree:thumbsup:

wendywu
01-06-2010, 08:51 AM
My 9 year old mindees push the buggy, but not near a road. I never give it a second thought, and they push the little ones in the swings, help them on the slide and lots of thoer things as well. Just as if they were siblings. :)

I really think we can over analyze this job and many times it the children both older and younger who miss out. :panic:

Mouse
01-06-2010, 09:23 AM
My 9 year old mindees push the buggy, but not near a road. I never give it a second thought, and they push the little ones in the swings, help them on the slide and lots of thoer things as well. Just as if they were siblings. :)

I really think we can over analyze this job and many times it the children both older and younger who miss out. :panic:

Does the 9yr old push a buggy as well as you pushing one? I think that's a big difference & my only concern with it.
My 9yr old DD loves to push the pram, but I wouldn't give her one to push herself & me have another one. I always cross it over at the roads & push it along busy pavements.

I knew one cm years ago who only had single buggies. She used to make the older mindees push one whether they wanted to or not. And if she was by herself, she'd put her own child in the pushchair, balance one mindee on the hood & put the other one on the shoppng tray underneath. Now, that was bad!

BlondeMoment
01-06-2010, 07:47 PM
I agree totally with over reacting to things these days. But the thing thats making me think is that my idea is that I'll have a buggy as well. I'm literally thinking take an extra bugy and let her push it? Obviously on the inner side of the road and we're only on the road a few minsthen onto a pathway in fields
You still think OK?