PDA

View Full Version : OFSTED why oh why

sophiemarie
30-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Hi just been reading a thread about outstanding grade I am newly registered but lots of early years experience like us all I have been working very hard to provide the best outcomes for children and I would like to achieve a good on my first inspection I dont think I am outstanding but really would like to even be in with a chance but ofsted do not give outstanding in our area for first inspection which I think is really unfair as when I have look on the forum it does not seem to be a national decision does anyone know why they have this in place.:(

Pipsqueak
30-05-2010, 11:44 AM
It is really rare to get an outstanding on your first inspection but not impossible. The reasoning being that you have not built up enough experience. Outstanding is a difficult grading to acheive and minders who get it have worked extremlely hard and long to get that. It is 'outstanding' for a reason.

It is grossly unfair for inspectors to say that they don't give outstandings to first timers and that is in my mind discrimination and bias.

If you feel that you have been unfairly treated during your inspection there is an appeals process. You could even tackle the inspector while they are there and get them to explain their judgements (which they should be doing anyway and what you can do to improve)

sophiemarie
30-05-2010, 05:41 PM
I agree for you and I realise how much hard work has gone into getting an outstanding and no way do I expect to get one it just seems so unfair that you can't.
People become childminders with a variety of experience some qualified foundation stage teacher, people with early years degrees etc I really think this needs to be taken into account as experience.
My local childminding advisers are very short sighted about this fact and will not take it on board at all and have a few procedures that you can not access until you have been childminding for 12 months.
They are presently setting up a network where you if you complete an accreditation can access 3 year funding but only if you have been childminding for a year!!!!! I was a senior manger over 6 preschool where my main role was developing quality and in my time I completed an accreditation I do not think I know it all but surely this experiance has got to stand for something. Also some of the funding can not be accessed in the first year just when you need it I can understand that if you don't childmind for an allocated time you have to pay it back but if they want to have quality and have the funds allow new childminder access.
Sorry to rate but when I have questioned I have come across it the rules BUT WHY!!!!!! (there are a few egos that don't like to be questioned).
Sorry for the long rant but sometimes I feel it is all a load of bleep bleep bleep Lol :angry:

Pipsqueak
30-05-2010, 06:39 PM
I totally understand where you are coming from and I am sorry that there seems to be such strict and unforgiving criteria in your area.
It sounds like you are like me, you are like a dog with a bone and will worry at something till you get what you want. It also sounds like you are one of those people who will prove a point and be a major asset within the minding community.

Hang on in there, like I said, Outstanding is not impossible and if its just your EY advisors saying that then at the end of the day they are not Ofsted and no one can ever predict what Ofsted is going to say or do.

Keep aiming high:thumbsup:

sophiemarie
30-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Thank you I will :)