PDA

View Full Version : learning to play

sophiemarie
30-05-2010, 07:59 AM
Hi all I have a child in my care who 3 who is very forward in cll and prn but does not seem to beable to imaginary play for example if left without adult interaction does not play in the roleplay area or small world will just roll round not playing I have tried every thing to make it interesting. If I say lets pretend we are at the shops or on a bus etc will just say no were not.
I would like to make a note of this to work on but where do you record things like this, as the learning journey is positive where do you put areas of development do you think it would be ok to have areas of development sheet in learning journey I am a bit unsure as mum although a lovely lady and very good mum takes it quite personally (I know how that feels we are always questioning ourselves as parents). Thanks for any advice:)

Pipsqueak
30-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Just make a note that you are going to work on creative things.

My youngest (now 5.5yrs) had absolutely no imagination or idea of role play until he turned 4. It just wasn't his forte, in comparision to my middle son who is extremly imaginative and creative.

lauredt
30-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Does the boy tell stories while playing with cars or trains? Creativity doesn't necessarily mean role play, one of mine hates to pretend but will recreate situations from Thomas the tank engine all day long...

vickieford85
30-05-2010, 10:40 AM
My 5.5 son was like this he wouldnt play in role play at all until he was 4 ish and even now isn't a huge fan, I don't feel you can force it upon a child if they don't want too.
As long as you make note you are trying your best.
xxx

Minstrel
30-05-2010, 10:47 AM
My son was a bit like this.

Instead i used to involve him in more of the creative side ie setting up the home corner, making masks for pretend play, making puppets/ spoon animals etc and this all gradually led into imaginative play as he had to think about what his creations would be used for and then learnt to try them out for himself.

The Juggler
30-05-2010, 11:02 AM
I have had a very gifted child like this. You could see what his favorite PSRN resources are i.e. sand? then introduce smallworld figures (diggers/small people) to encourage imaginary play maybe.

Or table top use construction resources and introduce building yard type scenario?

Most children who are very focused like this usually do enjoy listenign to stories so although they might not be involved in imaginary play the stories will support and help their imaginations to develop - maybe get them to draw pictures of the stories read or to make puppets to act out a story.

sophiemarie
30-05-2010, 11:19 AM
thanks for your replies very helpful will try them all