PDA

View Full Version : do you think hyperactivity is result of sugar intake?

terrydoo73
29-05-2010, 08:26 PM
I have twin boys aged 2 past in April who are very very hyperactive all the time - they are with me 10 hours a day 3 days a week and it is exhausting. A lot of people say to me that they just would not be able to cope with them being so constantly moving all the time - it is difficult I know at times and I have had to adjust things on a daily basis but I have assumed because they are twins this is the way it is. The worst thing is when they are outside. I have quite a large range of toys and it is basically a risk assessment every time I go out. All the gates have now been fitted with wire and locks to keep them from climbing them and even though the yard is brushed they still will find muck or water to dabble in. Not that I mind but you literally cannot leave them even to go to the toilet as it is just too scary to think of what they will be into next.

Anyway I have been thinking hard about this and wondered if I should cut out their juice to water as I think they are getting too much sugar rush at times. They will take a cup straight without stopping before they eat anything. I feed them at 10 am - buttered bread with fruit (mostly oranges) then again at 2 with a cooked meal such as sausages, beans, potato waffles. I give them grapes and raisins again at 5 before they leave me at 6 pm. They do get a cup with these meals and perhaps a cup in between at times.

Anyone got any opinions? Is it just because they are twins? Or should I try reducing the juice to water for a while and see if this is the reason?

Blaze
29-05-2010, 08:32 PM
It may not be the juice - it could be the oranges LOL Hyperactivity can be caused by allergies & intolerances (this is how it presents), as well as sugers (including fructose)! Also e numbers etc....It's hard as each child is different & what sends one off may be fine for another - I would either be asking for tests / or carrying out a food /drink diary & see if that pin points anything.
HTH:)

PS - It may be nothing - just them being them!:rolleyes: :D

Mookins
29-05-2010, 08:34 PM
i remember seeing a programme where they did tests on children at birthday parties

one party they had all sugary foods, drinks etc etc BUT had relaxed calm games etc
the other party was all non sugar etc etc BUT wild crazy games.....

the party with the non sugary foods were more hyperactive!!!!!

im not saying this is the way it is for everyone just a test they did which was quite interesting....

il shut up now lol

x x x :D

Hebs
29-05-2010, 08:38 PM
sugar can infact calm a hyperactive child down, for example coke cola for my son (who has adhd) has a short acting calming effect, i had banned him from drinking coke, but his psych told me otherwise

at 3 alot of kids have lots of energy :laughing:

and mookins i seen that show, very interesting :D

Mookins
29-05-2010, 08:54 PM
sugar can infact calm a hyperactive child down, for example coke cola for my son (who has adhd) has a short acting calming effect, i had banned him from drinking coke, but his psych told me otherwise

pHEW...... thought you might have all thought id competely lost it lol
x x x

Hebs
29-05-2010, 08:57 PM
pHEW...... thought you might have all thought id competely lost it lol
x x x

no it just shows that what we expect to see after having sugar loaded foods isn't always the case :laughing:

Mouse
29-05-2010, 09:01 PM
It wouldn't do any harm to cut the juice for a week & see if it makes any difference. Is it fresh juice you give them or squash?

2 of my mindees used to be allowed squash after school. I'd make it weak, but you could see a huge difference in them after they'd had it. They're normally quite placid children, but they'd go hyper after squash. I stick to water or milk for them now :thumbsup:

LOOPYLISA
29-05-2010, 09:05 PM

Fancy him telling you to give him coke :rolleyes:

Sorry can't stand giving kids the stuff :( im not even keen :blush: :thumbsup:

Saw that show too :thumbsup:

Hebs
29-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Fancy him telling you to give him coke :rolleyes:

Sorry can't stand giving kids the stuff :( im not even keen :blush: :thumbsup:

Saw that show too :thumbsup:

she didnt tell me to give him it just that it wouldn't help with his ADHD :thumbsup:
we drink it anyway, tbh i dont worry that much about what treats they have as they eat plenty of healthy foods such as fruit and veg :thumbsup: everything in moderation isn't it

found this...........

Most of the current studies on sugar show that sugar has no effect on hyperactivity, and if used moderately in the diet can have a beneficial response. The medical field is generally in agreement that sugar does not affect behavior, which often goes against the parental anecdotal evidence. There is clear reasoning for parents’ belief that sugar does have adverse behavior effects. Sugar intake is often closely linked to environment and expectations of the parents which helps to formulate these beliefs. Most often sugary snacks, such as cake or soft drinks, are given to kids in a party or social atmosphere that can cause the high behavioral activity. Also, there has been a correlation between sugar and behavior due to a parent’s self-fulfilling prophecy. They tend to view a child’s behavior as out of control only because they thought it would be due to increased sugar intake. This has been tested using a placebo comparison, Also, sugar often confounds with other substances that do alter behaviour, such as with caffeine in a soft drink

marzi
29-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Do they have orange juice? If so it could definitely be the oranges. I had to stop my own having orange juice or squash or fresh oranges as I was sure it was that making them hyper. Try cutting out the juice and see if it makes a difference or if they are having orange juice try blackcurrant. You should notice a difference after a couple of days if it is that.

SammyM
30-05-2010, 09:12 AM
i remember seeing a programme where they did tests on children at birthday parties

one party they had all sugary foods, drinks etc etc BUT had relaxed calm games etc
the other party was all non sugar etc etc BUT wild crazy games.....

the party with the non sugary foods were more hyperactive!!!!!

im not saying this is the way it is for everyone just a test they did which was quite interesting....

il shut up now lol

x x x :D

I saw this too, Jo frost did a similar experiment too on her last show, the healthy food kids had a bouncy castle and loads of craziness, and the sugar laden kids had to sit a watch a magician.

They then asked the parents which group of children they thought had eaten the suary foods and they all said the bouncy castle kids!!!

Just goes to show eh??? Although when I have my 5 o'clock lull I doofind a glass of coke gets me through bathtime & bedtime LOL!!!! But maybe I just think it does????

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Hebs
30-05-2010, 09:15 AM
I saw this too, Jo frost did a similar experiment too on her last show, the healthy food kids had a bouncy castle and loads of craziness, and the sugar laden kids had to sit a watch a magician.

They then asked the parents which group of children they thought had eaten the suary foods and they all said the bouncy castle kids!!!

Just goes to show eh??? Although when I have my 5 o'clock lull I doofind a glass of coke gets me through bathtime & bedtime LOL!!!! But maybe I just think it does????

:eek: :eek: :eek:

it'll be the caffine not the sugar :thumbsup:

Mookins
30-05-2010, 09:20 AM
it'll be the caffine not the sugar :thumbsup:

was about to say the same, hence why i dont drink coffee after 6pm....unles i want to do paperwork lol
x x

Hebs
30-05-2010, 09:24 AM
was about to say the same, hence why i dont drink coffee after 6pm....unles i want to do paperwork lol
x x

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

nothing stops me sleeping

LOOPYLISA
30-05-2010, 09:53 AM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

nothing stops me sleeping

:laughing: me neither :thumbsup:

Love my bed :D

Hebs
30-05-2010, 09:57 AM
:laughing: me neither :thumbsup:

Love my bed :D

so do i, even more so since i got my memory foam matteress :clapping:

Joda
30-05-2010, 09:58 AM
As a mum to twin boys (now 8), in my experience this is pretty normal behaviour! My 2 don't have a lot of sweets etc and only drink milk or water, but never stop A friend once described them as 2 little bee's who never stop buzzing around!
It is exhausting though as their attention span is (still!) very short.
Sounds like you are doing a fab job with them.

LOOPYLISA
30-05-2010, 09:59 AM
so do i, even more so since i got my memory foam matteress :clapping:

Fab :clapping:

How about pillows ?

Hebs
30-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Fab :clapping:

How about pillows ?

got them but not used them :blush:

The Juggler
30-05-2010, 11:05 AM
It wouldn't do any harm to cut the juice for a week & see if it makes any difference. Is it fresh juice you give them or squash?

2 of my mindees used to be allowed squash after school. I'd make it weak, but you could see a huge difference in them after they'd had it. They're normally quite placid children, but they'd go hyper after squash. I stick to water or milk for them now :thumbsup:

I agree, it's not always necessarily the sugar but the additivies in those sugary snacks and drinks

Blackhorse
30-05-2010, 12:33 PM
I believe it is the additives etc that create some of the hyperactivity.

children dont tend to eat lumps of sugar but sweets etc that are full of the stuff!!

sugar does give you energy though but imo doesn't make you hyper