PDA

View Full Version : 16 year old - what do I do with him?

Little Bear
29-05-2010, 04:00 PM
This may sound odd but, starting next week for 5 weeks I am looking after a 16 year old boy through Social Care for 2 full days a week. He only attends school for 3 days.
The oldest child I look after during the day is 3 years old and I can't imagine a 16 year old wanting to play with mud!!!!!
Does anyone have any ideas?
PLEASEEEEEEEEEE.

:panic:

caz3007
29-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Do you have some sort of games consol, my older ds is 17 and he and his mates like playing games and watching tv. Bit odd having a 16 year old though, I used to look after a 13 year old in the holidays and it was hard keeping him occupied. Perhaps he can bring stuff with him to do

LOOPYLISA
29-05-2010, 04:26 PM
The only 16 yr old i know is into ds, play station, psp, Laptop, films etc, not sure what else he could do x

Pipsqueak
29-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Hey you never know a 16 yr old might like playing with mud!!!! I find the older they are the more they revert back to playing with the little kid toys! lol

I know a couple of minders who 'mind' older children, so to me its not odd.

You can offer opportunities like cooking and baking, the games consoles (but not all day lol), how about a world cup thing.

So how does it stand, anyone on the premises 16yrs plus are supposed to have a CRB. My friend who fostered through Barnardos whilst minding, often used to care reguarly for a 17yr old who came to her 3 days a week and she had to have a crb.

youarewhatyoueat
29-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Just out of interest, how are you going to go to toddler groups, children centres or will you take him with you and yes I would expect him to need a crb check to be with the younger children, as a parent I would also expect it, unless I saw some written reassurance from the ss that he was ok to be around my 3 year old.
I would think he'll be great at forest school type activities, why not get him to plan and make a den in the woods.