PDA

View Full Version : CONFUSED ABOUT HOUSE INSURANCE

VINASOL
29-05-2010, 12:34 PM
our house insurance is due for renewal this week. however, since i am hoping to start childminding very soon, we need to think about this.

however, a well known company said that they would not cover the house if hte home was to be used for childminding. if we add business use to our house inurance our premium would be £1,000+.:panic:

what do you do in terms of house insurance -- the company (above) we wanted to go with as it was most economical won't allow us -- any help/advice desperately needed. i just dont understand

many thanks

maria

sarah707
29-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Lots of insurance companies won't insure you for accidental damage once you become a childminder.

You need to consider changing your company - there is no loyalty in the insurance game!!

Try Morton Michel - they have a very competitive household policy which includes accidental damage and is written for childminders.

Hth :D

gigglinggoblin
29-05-2010, 12:47 PM
I think we are with churchill, they were happy to give us accidental damage as long as it wasnt one of the mindees who caused the accident. They were also cheaper than Halifax who we were previously with, who when I rang to say we didnt want their insurance tried to talk me out of leaving with the truly brilliant "well do you really expect to have any accidents?"

christine e
29-05-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm with Zurich and they are ok and cover me for accidental damage but I have to limit to 6 children in the house (which is fine by me)

Cx

Millenium
29-05-2010, 02:29 PM
I am insured with Direct Line who are happy to cover you if you are a childminder. However, they do have to issue a separate letter confirming that cover is provided at normal terms including the extension of accidental cover on the basis that I am an Ofsted registered childminder.

Public liability cover (in relation to childminding activities) is an automatic exclusion but that is of course covered by the NCMA, MM or whoever's policy you use.

The Juggler
29-05-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm with Liverpool Victoria and they cover accidental damage to soft furnishings and other caused by mindees.:)

rickysmiths
30-05-2010, 10:07 AM
I am insured with Churchill. They cover me for Accidental damage for our family but not mindees. However I don't have a problem with that as I have never had the need to make an insurance claim in the 17yrs I have been minding as a result of something a mindee has done. Everything is risk assessed and any expensive items are out of reach.

To be honest if the worst happened and the TV was smashed for instance we don't have an expensive one and by the time I had paid the Excess it wouldn't be worth claiming. I can't think of anything else that they could do that isn't already covered by our 10% Wear and Tear allowance against tax. So I have never worried too much.

RedDragon
30-05-2010, 07:46 PM
I'm with Churchill too.

Mrs Pootle
31-05-2010, 03:54 PM
I had this problem only 2 weeks ago. I did a number of online quotes & they were all unhappy about childminding. I then rang Morton Michel who were of course fine with childminding, and the premium was half what my original insurer wanted to charge. I haven't started minding yet, put hope to be registered in the next month or so, and Morton Michel were fine with this. Give them a call, you've nothing to lose. :)

candy cat
01-06-2010, 07:44 AM
Zurich solutions.....if you are unsure go through a broker and speak to someone by phone/in person and double check that you get that accidental damage.Think we pay £400 ish

rickysmiths
01-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Zurich solutions.....if you are unsure go through a broker and speak to someone by phone/in person and double check that you get that accidental damage.Think we pay £400 ish

We live in a four bedroomed semi within the M25 and with Churchill our House and Contents insurance is approx £260pa and we have got a couple of specified items that are very valuble. We have accidental damage for us but not minding.

As I said in a earlier post in 17yrs (touch wood) I have never had to make a claim related to childminding never mind anything that would come under the accidental damage section.

Bearing in mind that a lot of us pay at least £100 excess these days it would be very interesting to hear from people who have had to make claims and what those claims were for.

caz3007
01-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Mine is with More Than and like others have said, I am covered if the family do some accidental damage but not if mindies do

Mollymop
01-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Churchill are good, as above x

VINASOL
03-06-2010, 10:22 AM
just 2 say thanks. we went with michael morton in the endxx:)