PDA

View Full Version : Day Time Naps ...

Lainey Lou
28-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Hi all, I know all children are different and it probs depends on the child but at what age on average would you say that children should be 'weaned' off their daytime nap? Any advice or tips on the best way to do it? :) x

AliceK
28-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Hi all, I know all children are different and it probs depends on the child but at what age on average would you say that children should be 'weaned' off their daytime nap? Any advice or tips on the best way to do it? :) x

Speaking from a personal point of view and as a mother rather than a childminder I don't think we should ever be in a rush to "wean" them off but I would much rather be lead by the child. That's what I did with my 2 anyway. I know some parents don't agree with this though :)

xxxxx

rickysmiths
28-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Speaking from a personal point of view and as a mother rather than a childminder I don't think we should ever be in a rush to "wean" them off but I would much rather be lead by the child. That's what I did with my 2 anyway. I know some parents don't agree with this though :)

xxxxx

I agree.

My daughter stopped having a nap when she was 2.5 she went to bed at 6pm and slept until 6am, my son on the other hand had a 2-3hr afternoon sleep right up until he went into full time school, still went to bed at 6pm and slept through. It is only the last 18mths that he has stayed up later than 7.30pm, his own choice and he will be 16yrs later this year.

All my minded children have a sleep after lunch.They are 18mth, 3.5yrs and 4.5yrs.
The older one would sleep all afternoon if I let her!!! She usually sleeps for a couple of hours before we do the school pick ups. All the parents are more than happy and the younger two are in bed by 7pm. The older one is kept up until 9pmish because Mum and Dad want to spend time with them which is probably why they are more than ready for a sleep by 1pm (arrives with me at 8am)!!

Lainey Lou
28-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks for your replies. My dd will be 3 yrs in August and more often than not still has a sleep during the day, sometimes though if she does have longer than an hour, I do find it hard to get her to bed at night.

Also, the other thing I am concerned about is that she is starting ft nursery school in September (she will be one of the younger ones) so I'm unsure whether it would be best to try to cut back on daytime naps? To be honest I would rather her get a pt place but they don't do pt.

I'm really unsure what I should do for the best?

:) x

The Juggler
28-05-2010, 05:39 PM
I would maybe just start shortening her nap, give her an hour, then reduce to 45 mins, 30 mins and see if this makes a difference at bedtime.:)

youarewhatyoueat
28-05-2010, 05:41 PM
You may find come september she will crash out within 5 minutes of being picked up from nursery, and go to bed an hour later, especially as it will be new for her. But then as she gets older she may only sleep a couple of times after nursery and go to bed earlier as her stamina improves. They are all different, I can remember struggling to get a meal in my son he was so tired so he stayed up a bit later and as he dropped his daytime sleep bedtime moved earlier. But he still had a nap even when he was 4 and went to bed at 7.30 and slept till 7.But at weekends he may not have had a sleep.
Just go with the flow as the transition from dropping sleeps can take a while.