PDA

View Full Version : Qualifications

Millicent
27-05-2010, 09:49 PM
I am thinking of becoming a childminder as I want to start my own family soon. I currently work as deputy manager in a private day nursery and hold the Cache diploma in childcare and education (level 3) with 5 years experience. I thought this would have been more than enough to do the job I do now from home.

Was anyone else in this position before they became a childminder? Is it really necessary for me to go on the ICP when I know the EYFS upside down and back to front?

Pauline
28-05-2010, 06:49 AM
Is it really necessary for me to go on the ICP when I know the EYFS upside down and back to front?

Although you know EYFS upside down and are experienced in it, the ICP
('Introduction to Childminding Practice') covers loads of things specific to childminding, many of which you will not have experience of. Working alone in your own home is very different to a nursery.

You will have to do it as they won't let you register without the qualification but it will be worth it as you will learn some valuable information :)

donnamarie2
01-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Hi,I was the in the same position as yourself i was qualified and worked in childcare for a number of years and managed various settings but you still have to do the relevant courses to get registered as it's home based.

snufflepuff
01-06-2010, 02:17 PM
I was in a similar positon to you- already hold a level 3, have been a nanny and a nursery nurse etc. You still have to do the ICP or equivalent. I think it was well worth it though, its geared specifically towards childminding and i learned lots that you wouldnt know through working in a nursery.