PDA

View Full Version : New Mindee doesn't wash hands or flush loo

Lily Grace
27-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Hi I have two new after-schooler mindees started and they are siblings. The little boy is five and I have noticed that he leaves the toilet in a bit of a state and I have to remind him to flush the loo and wash his hands.

When I ask him if he has flushed and washed his hands he tells me he has and I know he hasn't. I can tell he hasn't flushed as my flush makes a bit of a noise and I know if the sink hasn't been used as I know my house!! How do I explain to him about toilet manners!! Never has to do this before. Any advise would be great.

sillysausage
27-05-2010, 09:26 PM
I've got 4 yr olds who have up til now been very good at flushing and washing hands but I too am having to remind them every time at the moment. I think it's one of those things that you've just got to persevere with even though you might feel like you are nagging them all the time.
I've got posters on the bathroom door and above the sink to remind them but they still 'forget'.

Pipsqueak
27-05-2010, 09:31 PM
they get lots of explanations about why we need to wash hands etc.

they get marched firmly back to the bathroom and i will watch them wash hands if necessary.
I have a 7 yr old mindee who doesn't wash hands, my 2yr old mindee has just got the hang of putting hands under the water, we are working on the soap and rubbing hands together - although he likes flushing!

The Juggler
27-05-2010, 09:42 PM
i find most kids will not do it if they can get away with it - the older ones are worse! I do a sniff test when I think they haven't but they say they have, if I smell soap and they look clean, they pass!:laughing: :laughing:

Helen Dempster
27-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Have you heard of the Hygiene4Health campaign (google their website). I got loads of free posters and stickers that say "I'm a Hygiene Hero" that went down well with the 4 year olds when they remembered to wash their hands (my posters are stuck to the door of the loo and they have 9 steps with a little rhyme on each, by the time you reach number 9, you've washed your hands well) :clapping:

francinejayne
27-05-2010, 10:05 PM
I've been training my OH to wash his hands - he's 36!!!!
Our 2 year old loves washing his hands and often reminds daddy to do it!
My OH's mum just never made them do it, his sister doesn't either and I know as I asked her! Yuk!

sonia ann
28-05-2010, 06:01 AM
I think perseverance and gentle prompting ( aka nagging!) is the answer:)

I too have posters in the toilet above the sink to remind them.

A commonly heard comment from me in our house is " Have you flushed the toilet?" and "Have you washed your hands?" as children leave the toilet.:)

Some of the older children are the worst but go back quite happily and do so

One lo ( almost 4yrs) is dreadful and I have started "peeping" through the crack in the door to make sure she does.
I often do the "feel" test..........lo's never dry their hands properly and are damp if they have washed them and smell of soap.

This little has actually thrown a full blown paddy on the floor when told to wash her hands:rolleyes: ......but thats another story.....it's not the washing hands she objects to but me asking her to do something:rolleyes:

Carol M
28-05-2010, 07:00 AM
I also have posters up, including some rather nasty looking Germ ones for the older ones.
I find that if it is not done at home it's very hard to get them to do here.
I talk with parents. One lo had burnt her hands at home when they were having problems with their water heater! So this info let me help lo to learn to mix and test water , she was scared understandably, but we got there.
Carol:)

sarah707
28-05-2010, 07:36 AM
This drives me potty as well!

I have tried introducing a song so they sing as they wash... but some sing as they sit on the loo and pretend they've washed :rolleyes:

I now supervise every hand washing session for most of them and do the sniff test on the rest.

I have to be in there to clean the loo seat between uses anyway so it's just an extension of that I suppose!

What really upsets me is when they say they don't have to do it at home, like I am punishing them or something...

Hth :D

Mookins
28-05-2010, 07:39 AM
eugh?
my dd wont flush the toilet but will wash hands
she hates the noise and if ive not remembered and just flushed b4 she washes she runs off till the noise stops and then comes back:rolleyes:

x x x

AliceK
28-05-2010, 08:45 AM

I too have posters in the toilet above the sink to remind them.

A commonly heard comment from me in our house is " Have you flushed the toilet?" and "Have you washed your hands?" as children leave the toilet.:)
Some of the older children are the worst but go back quite happily and do so

One lo ( almost 4yrs) is dreadful and I have started "peeping" through the crack in the door to make sure she does.
I often do the "feel" test..........lo's never dry their hands properly and are damp if they have washed them and smell of soap.

This little has actually thrown a full blown paddy on the floor when told to wash her hands:rolleyes: ......but thats another story.....it's not the washing hands she objects to but me asking her to do something:rolleyes:

Same here. I'm always shouting that upstairs :laughing: . Mindee aged nearly 5 and DS aged just 6 are the worst offenders.

xxxxxx

Twinklestars
28-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Hi I have two new after-schooler mindees started and they are siblings. The little boy is five and I have noticed that he leaves the toilet in a bit of a state and I have to remind him to flush the loo and wash his hands.

When I ask him if he has flushed and washed his hands he tells me he has and I know he hasn't. I can tell he hasn't flushed as my flush makes a bit of a noise and I know if the sink hasn't been used as I know my house!! How do I explain to him about toilet manners!! Never has to do this before. Any advise would be great.
My ds who is 5 is doing this at the moment too, he wouldn't wipe himself, flush or wash hands. I got him some fun toilet roll with animals on and now he loves using it, and since he's had his paddling pool out he's got a thing about water in the sink and was washing his hands for 10 mins before school but he still forgets to flush it but he has a thing about noises like the fan and washer so don't know if it's because of that

Mummits
28-05-2010, 11:06 AM
I have one who "forgets" too. I've given up being subtle and now just ask have you flushed the toilet and washed your hands the minute he comes out of the bathroom, and he says yes, and I say so shall I come and check? Then he scoots back in and does it. I also have to say take your fingers out of your nose and go and wash your hands at least once a day!

ORKSIE
28-05-2010, 11:31 AM

:laughing: :laughing:
Same here:thumbsup: