PDA

View Full Version : How does this sound?

snufflepuff
27-05-2010, 04:11 PM
I am writing the following note to all the parents (its only really relevant to one but i want them all to see it just incase)

Please do not send any of the following foods in to my setting. J is allergic to them, and while I obviously would not purposely give him your child’s food, it can be hard to make sure he does not come in to contact with them, for example if they are dropped on the floor. Therefore I ask that these foods do not come in to my house.
Eggs
Tomatoes
Nuts
This includes products which have a high content of the allergen- peanut butter, nutella, mayonnaise, egg noodles and pasta, tomato sauces, quiche etc. Things with low content or that are labelled as having a possible content are usually fine- for example, he has not reacted to cake, chocolate, certain sauces with small amounts of tomato etc.
If there is anything you are unsure of, please ask.

Do you think that sounds ok? Is there anything else i should add?

(By the way, J is 15 months old so not yet ol enough to know what he can/ can't eat, or to know not to eat food off the floor, lol!)

mama2three
27-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Maybe you could say 'due to an allergy' , rather than mentioning J?
The other thing i would say if J has a possible nut allergy is be very careful which suncreams are being applied to the children. we had a little boy with nut allergy and had to specifically ask that parents did not administer their own cream, as many contain nuts - and we found one that was safe so put it on all the children.

TheBTeam
27-05-2010, 04:22 PM
I think it sounds okay, but I am not sure how a parent will react to receiving this, my son only really likes tuna mayonaise sandwiches and my daughter loves tomatoes and eggs, so i would find it hard to live with.

Is there no way that you can keep the 15mnth old strapped into a chair away while the others eat and if it is onto a mess mat the debris could be lifted away.

You may need to consider if some of the children you care for have had these foods prior to coming to you and any potential reaction the mindee may have if they have it on their hands or face/mouth, kiss him etc.

Just read about the suncream too, i have one mum who insists on her own suncream, and not sure how much other parents will respond to being dictated to, hopefully they will be understanding.

snufflepuff
27-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Sorry, should have mentioned, J is my son not a mindee.
His allergy is not so severe that just touching something would effect him- its only if he actually eats it. So we dont need to worry about the suncream or a child eating things before coming here. Just the cherry tomatoes that get thrown on my kitchen floor quite often!!