PDA

View Full Version : The Sun

venus89
27-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Dear Madam

Following the publication of a letter from Helen Charlesworth in the Sun, the following summary of the complaint and resolution will appear on the Press Complaints Commission's website.

The Sun

Ms Helen Charlesworth complained to the Press Complaints Commission that the article falsely referred to two individuals as “childminders”. The complainant pointed out that they were not Ofsted registered, and, as such, it was incorrect to refer to them as “childminders”.

The complaint was resolved when the PCC negotiated the publication of the following letter from the complainant in the newspaper:

Your article about the murder of a three-year-old boy (March 27) incorrectly described those responsible as childminders. Ofsted registered childminders like me go through CRB checks and have First Aid certificates, insurance and training. I pay a yearly fee, have to do planning and observations as set out under the EYFS (Early Years Foundation Stage) and risk assess for everything I do with the children. I was shocked and angry these people were described as childminders. They were not.

Helen Charlesworth

Ofsted Registered Childminder

Orpington

Kent. (Cl 1)

I hope that you are satisfied that this a satisfactory resolution to your complaint. If you are not satisfied, I will put the matter back to the Commission to consider.

If you are dissatisfied with the way in which your complaint has been handled you should write within one month to the independent Charter Commissioner, whose details can be accessed using this web link: http://www.pcc.org.uk/complaint/charter.html.

Yours sincerely

Elizabeth Cobbe

Actually, no I am NOT happy. Helen did a great job but that's not an apology or a retraction. I didn't see the Sun witht he letter in it but I'm guessing it wasn't in massive colourful letters on the front page so that everyone knows they've slung mud at us.......

caz3007
27-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Actually, no I am NOT happy. Helen did a great job but that's not an apology or a retraction. I didn't see the Sun witht he letter in it but I'm guessing it wasn't in massive colourful letters on the front page so that everyone knows they've slung mud at us.......

It was just on the letters page. I think The Sun should have to print an apology and not just appear on the complaints website

peanuts
27-05-2010, 03:17 PM
they didnt print an appology just helens letter on the letters page. so no i do not think it is resolved

venus89
27-05-2010, 03:20 PM
In which case, maybe we should all write to them again and say that we don't think that's a satisfactory resolution.....?

AliceK
27-05-2010, 03:28 PM
In which case, maybe we should all write to them again and say that we don't think that's a satisfactory resolution.....?

I've already done that. I wrote to her the day I saw the letter and told her I didn't feel it was good enough and I would have expected a retraction or apology in the newspaper. Not heard anything back yet.

xxxxx

venus89
27-05-2010, 03:49 PM
I've replied......

Many thanks for your email regarding the Sun newspaper claiming that the unregistered babysitters who murdered poor Ryan were Childminders. I am writing because I do not feel that the matter has been resolved. Whilst I appreciate that the Sun have published a letter by Helen Charlesworth on the matter, I do not feel that this is equivalent to a retraction of their error or that it shows that their journalist recognises the mistake he has made in branding the murderers 'Childminders'. Newspapers often publish letters by readers and make it very clear that these letters do not necessarily represent their own views. What I would like to see is the Sun newspaper running an article explaining what makes a registered, OFSTED inspected Childminder completely different to unregistered, unregulated and illegal childcare such as that provided by the murderers of Ryan. As I explained before - and I am aware that many other registered Childminders have written to you regarding the matter too - to label them 'Childminders' is damaging to those of us who have taken the time and care - not to mention the expense - of becoming a registered childcarer. I am sure you are aware that we have to pass courses, become trained in paediatric first aid, and pass an OFSTED inspection even before we can begin to work. We work very hard, and train very hard, to ensure that we provide a quality service to the same level as any other registered preschool care. And the NCMA work hard on our behalf to raise the public status of Childminders so people do recognise that we are professional childcarers. The article in the Sun newspaper claiming that the murderers of Ryan are Childminders gives a false impression and it is very important that readers of this newspaper are made fully aware by the newspaper itself that they were not Childminders, not least so that this may be prevented from happening again. If parents are aware of the distinction between Registered Childminders and illegal childcare then maybe tradegies like Ryan's can be avoided in the future.....

TheBTeam
27-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Well done Venus89, will be interesting to see what comes from this!

venus89
27-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Well done Venus89, will be interesting to see what comes from this!

Thank you!