PDA

View Full Version : Getting fed up of germs!

Banana
26-03-2008, 01:23 PM
I have had it! :angry:

Its starting to make me feel like getting another job just so that I dont have snot and germs everywhere in my house.

What do I do?

The baby -the one that cries (although has improved). Most of you know I have been minding her since the start of December and it was hard work... on top of her always having a cold she screamed all day.

Last week was a good week with her, for the first time her cold had almost cleared, but......... today she is back and coughing, snot everywhere, eyes are watery, she's whining and generally just spreading germs to all the other children and myself.

I know kids get colds- but from the 1st week of december through to now there has been one occassion (last week) that she has not been full of cold.
I might sound like im being harsh but I am fed up of it! Because Isabelle keeps getting colds from her too (not as many and she shakes them off a lot quicker) but I dont see why I should constantly have to put up with Isabelle having a cold because one child brings a new cold every week!

I bet I sound very harsh and like im being unfair - I know its not the lo's fault. What I cont understand is why she has so many colds!!!! How is it possible. I've never know any child to be like it, it is comstant and short of telling the parents that I dont want to have her while she has a cold (which means she would never be here) what can I do?

I really just want to call them and say that can they pick her up because its not fair on the other children - because I can garauntee that next week all the kids I look after will all have colds now!

I asked this morning if she was ok in herself - she is sort of, apart from this high pitched squeaky whinge she keeps doing and this horrible cough which sounds like she smokes 30 a day and her eyes and nose streaming.....

problem is because she is like this all the time I dont really have a leg to stand on do i? and if I tell them i cant have her while she has a cold they will look for another minder who will put up with it... its just starting to get on my nerves!

Sorry all, didnt realsie it would turn into such a long post.

Another stressful day and this is just adding to it :(

xxx

sarah707
26-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Sorry Lana no words of wisdom... only you know if you can cope or not...

Big hugs xx

Pudding Girl
26-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Have they gotten her checked out at all do you know?

Alibali
26-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Apparantely babies can get up 12 colds a year in the first two years of their life! Don't suppose that helps much really does it! I sent a buggy one home on Thursday (Impetigo) and another yesterday (Ear infection) Other Mum told me today that she couldn't possibly take more time off work so hopes her lo doesn't get ill, Yeah ME TOO!!!!

Kelly
26-03-2008, 01:46 PM
I had a cold, with all the syptoms you mention for 6 weeks! everytime I thought I was feeling a bit better, back it came again, then it seemed like I caught every sickness bug going around. Finally last Thursday I started feeling better. Maybe there is a bug going around that is taking a long time to clear up.

I think I would say to the parents that they need to keep the LO off for a few days to give the child a chance to recover

Kelly

Banana
26-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Have they gotten her checked out at all do you know?

Yeah doctor just said that they will pick up colds at this age.

which I know they can.

but it is becoming a bit ridiculous now... its every flipping week!

Just getting to me :mad:
x

Trouble
26-03-2008, 01:51 PM
ive had a child today(the one that ignores me and has taken to blanking me and screaming) came full of cold but mum shoved him in door he started crying (hey whats new) but she said hes fine!!!!!!!!

when i tell them hes had another bad day they look surprised!!!!

i think hes crying out for her attention and all she cares about is his brain nothing else
to say i dont like her and her ways is a complete understatement:angry: :angry:

deeb66
26-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Sorry you are being constantly bombarded by bugs and germs Lana.

Unfortunately some kids are just like that....I know that it gets frustrating but as long as they are feeling ok within themselves there is no much you can do.

If they are running a tempreture and feeling really grotty then yes you can send them home but if not there isn't really much you can do

One of the pitfuls of the job I am afraid :(

jmoff
26-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Yah,I have the same issue...Have had a child here since the beg of Jan and I havent stopped wiping her nose! And she is grumpy most of the time...lovely! and hardly sleeps...apart from that...:angry:

Jana

Banana
26-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Have just called Dad to come and collect her.

Its not just a runny nose, she is warm now too and the cough is getting worse - he doesnt sound very happy about coming!

Im just going to say that I have the other children to think about and the fact is she has been really sleepy and coughing her head off all day would suggest to me that she is feeling a bit rubbish and think she would be better cared for at home. He'll be here in about 20 minutes.

I think he thinks im at it!!

All I know is that if she was mine I wouldnt have sent her to a childminder today!
x

ajs
26-03-2008, 04:16 PM
i know what you mean lana

i have felt like c**p for about 3 weeks now all because one of my little ones coughed in my face, i know that sounds dramatic but i am never ill. she literally just coughed and spluttered right in my face and a few days later i got this cough and then the cold and it's only just beginning to ease off now.

Blaze
Let us know how it goes with Dad!
Tasha:)

ma7ie
Good luck Lana. Don't let him make you feel bad about ringing him. You have to do what's right for you and the other children. :D

Banana
26-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Has just left.

Had a quick chat to tell him my reasons for sending her home - he could see whe wasnt well and in fairness I had persevered all day in the hope she would pick up a bit so he only picked up an hour early. Told him that we are going out tomorrow so if she does come then thats fine but she has to be up to going outdoors, he said he will call in the morning and let me know. Think its gone ok, did mention that 'work are sort of ok about it' well so they should be - your child isnt well!!

SO will see if she comes tomorrow.

Thanks all :)

xx

wendywu
26-03-2008, 05:24 PM
I know what you mean i seem to have spent the last three months wiping noses. But i am very hardy in all the 11 years i have been minding i have never had a unplanned day off sick.:blush:

I think i am immune to germs due to the fact i am surrounded by them evey day.:laughing:

Mollymop
26-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Caitlin's alaways getting a cold and if it's not that it's a sickness bug. While they are young they pick up all sorts of germs which makes the body immune to them in the future that's why older children don't get colds and stuff as much as the little ones.
I have had enough of Caitlin's snotty nose, so I know what you mean. XX

Spangles
26-03-2008, 07:40 PM
I've got two children like that too. They are always streaming with colds and coughing. I really can't stand runny noses and one of the dribbles when their nose is blocked and it's really gross! Ha ha!

We've been catching their colds too so are often ill ourselves which is a pain in the bum but I guess it's strengthening Benjamin's immune system!????

Pipsqueak
26-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Atchoooooooo :laughing:

thought I'd share some more!!!!

berkschick
26-03-2008, 08:26 PM
What a nightmare time you are having lately Lana.

It just makes our job even harder when they are sent to us poorly.

Blaze
26-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Glad it went ok with dad.
Tasha:)

angeldelight
26-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Just catching up Lana

Glad it went ok with dad

Sorry you had a rubbish day hope tomorrow is better

Hugs

Angel xx

charleyfarley
26-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Sorry to hear you've had a poorly one Lana, really hope she picks up for you.

It's awful when they constantly have a cold I have a 5 year old that has a constant streaming nose. When he comes out of school it's caked thick round his face, gross I know.

I've even started taking wipes so I can clean him up before I leave, really hate dirty noses.

Anyway his last cold lasted for months, got another cold before he'd got over the previous one iykwim. In the end I told his mom he needed to go to the drs and get something.
It doesn't help that when I collect him from school he isn't even wearing a coat, just a fleece and his mom knows I always walk home.

I've gone on enough now Lana but I know exactly how you feel

Carol xx

Banana
27-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Right

As metioned in another post this morning, baby has come today. she is still not well. Given the fact that this is also not a sleepy baby.

She has been asleep since 10am, only waking up to cry when she coughs. She is flat out!

Now - this is because she isnt well and its obviously taking it out of her.

SO my question is this....

do i send home, She isnt causing me any work at all - so it makes no difference if she is here as she is either asleep or sitting vacantly staring at me and having a quiet cuddle like this morning.

or do i keep her because she's not being a bother but still spreading germs to the other children? Belle has a cold this morning - which I was expecting since she was around it all day yesterday.

Its just unusual for her to be asleep so much and I feel that because she clearly isnt feeling well enough to even stay awake that im going against my policies but if I call dad he's gonna be like 'well if shes asleep whats the problem?

I wish he would have just kept her home today!

Any advice?

x

crazybones
27-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Well first of all I would have thought a parent would have called for an update! Secondly I think I would call and say you are worried about her being so drowsy and sleepy as it is not normal for her. Is she taking fluids? or eating. Even if they dont come and take her at least you have kept them informed if there is any comeback. Write it all down too.

Banana
27-03-2008, 12:35 PM
No havnt called them- was thinking that could be a good way to do it? Say that I wanted their input as although she isnt causing me any problems I am concerned about the fact she is so sleepy?

He said that she had slept all night and so thinks she is better,

Also meant to ask about snot....... sorry people. But yesterday her snot was clear, today it is bright green mucus.... doesnt that mean infection?

xx

crazybones
27-03-2008, 12:50 PM
My mum always used to say green snot was an infection but dont know if that is just an old wives tale. Would be interested to know though.

deeb66
27-03-2008, 01:37 PM
It is clear that this child is really not well and should be at home in her own bed.

I always take green snot as a sign of secondary infection which could be in the sinuses or in her chest so she really should be checked out by a doctor just to make sure she is ok.

In your shoes Lana I would ring the parents and tell them to collect the child, take her to the doctors and don't bring her back until next week.

HTH :)

Banana
27-03-2008, 03:27 PM
shes asleep again now.

woke up for 2 hours, fed her her lunch now zonked again.

Im just going to leave her. TBH im that naffed off today I give up! I feel like just taking tomorrow off, calling in the morning and saying sorry but since my child is ill now i cant work... maybe that would stop them bringing them when they are ill... or maybe not since if belle gets ill they dont have to pay me do they!!

Have been looking into other jobs today - night work at the hospital. I would reduce down to part time on minding and just keep the 2 year old and work 3 nights a week somewhere.

Im not having a good week and the stress has tipped me over the edge a bit. Im tired, fed up of poorly children and sick of being paid late. Nothing would make me happier just now but to have a months holiday away from everything!! I need a break, but cant afford to take time off obviously since I dont get paid when I need a rest :(

Not a very happy bunny today

x

crazybones
27-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Sorry you are having a rubbish day. I am having a bit of a downer day today too. Its my mum's anniversary. :( Ciaran said to me before "I remember Grandma's dressing gown but I cant remember her face". That set me off. Hope tomorrow is better for you. Remember its nearly Saturday. :clapping:

Banana
27-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Sorry you are having a rubbish day. I am having a bit of a downer day today too. Its my mum's anniversary. :( Ciaran said to me before "I remember Grandma's dressing gown but I cant remember her face". That set me off. Hope tomorrow is better for you. Remember its nearly Saturday. :clapping:

Oh sorry Annie.

hope you are ok

xxx

angeldelight
27-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Some information about green snot - great subject ha

http://www.abc.net.au/health/talkinghealth/factbuster/stories/2008/02/06/2153209.htm

http://www.drjen4kids.com/SickKids/greensnot.htm

Angel xx

Spangles
27-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Oh Annie, I'm sorry, that's so sad. Hope you are okay?

Re. the germs - I just bought myself a bottle of echinacea tablets to start taking from Monday as we go on holiday in 3 weeks and I don't want to be ill then! Can't give them to Benjamin though and Darren won't take them so I'll probably be the only healthy one!

Rubybubbles
31-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Oh yuck!

I must admit the baby I llok after always has a runny nose, but is always okay in himself, one of the things I really wanted to do was go swimming with him as I only have him of a morning, and I haven't been at all! I've had him since Oct:eek:

Saying that, my last day 19th March before my hols I sent home 2yr old as ill and then his mum texted me and her and her hubby were ill over the whole time I was away, were we okay! (how nice) and baby is off ill today as he had been down with gastro since Weds (I reallt think I picked the right week to go away, we've all been fine:clapping: )

Banana
31-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Im full of cold!!

But trying not to mope about with it!!

See - germy little people keep making me ill, im not a sickie person, but sonce childminding I have caught just about every cold that i've been in contact with! Stonking headache too!

Ho Hum! I love my job :D

x

John
31-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Thats one of the pit falls in child care you will get every bug known to man working with children. :) I found that out over six years ago working in a nursery. So if you can't with stand a little bug or two time to think am i in the right Job, as anyone who as been in child care afew years will know about catching childrens bug and colds. Yet some people a prone to chatching bugs like my sisster for one she most have a cold once a month lol.

John.

wendywu
31-03-2008, 11:28 PM
I must be a bit of a freak as i never catch anything from mindees.

Maybe its the way i walk around with my nose stuck in the air all the time. As my MIL once said " you all think you are better than you are in Surrey" the other little gems was " in surrey you all think the sun shines out of your ar*e":laughing: