PDA

View Full Version : after schoolies

Helen Dempster
27-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Happy Thursday everyone!

Can someone just explain to me, in simple terms, how caring for after schoolies work. You may think this is a daft question, and you'd be right, but how many after schoolies are we allowed and does this mean you can't have your allocation of full timers, as it will take you over your numbers when they're all together after school? I'm very confused, as you can probably tell... Also, do 8 years and over count as your numbers, or can we have as many that age as we want?

Please help before I go insane....oh, too late :laughing:

The Juggler
27-05-2010, 10:30 AM
you can have 6 children under 8 in total, any over 8's don't count in your numbers so you are limited in numbers by

detrimental affect on younger ones of the over 8's behaviour (by ofsted)
your physical (and mental) abilities:laughing:
your insurance company (usually 10-12 children).

hope that helps.

tuttifruiti
27-05-2010, 11:31 AM
For the last 10 yrs i have only looked after before and after scoolies, and i find it great to be honest, yes you only have to count any children in your numbers that are 8 yrs old and under, just be aware that not all the older ones want to join in with activities or do anything at all, no matter how much you try to encourage them, and you have to think about older activities with supervision, ie: computer, games consoles, ds nintendo's etc, sometimes this puts a stress on your sanity, i always find the favorites are still the good old construction toys like lego and k'nex. And the paper work is slightly less also, i was told recently on a eyfs course, that we do not have to do obs on school age children as the school takes care of this, but i still do some but not as many as a pre-schooler as the parents enjoy reading them ,
i hope this helps xx

monkey62
27-05-2010, 09:43 PM
I can't help to much, I founded easier with little ones, I have only one after school ( and he is my son age, so more like a friends).

caz3007
27-05-2010, 09:50 PM
I have 5 after schoolies on my books, aged 9, 10 and 11. I only very occasionally have all 5 at once. The boys all play on the Gamecube or in the garden, but I have to oversee them more than the LO's as they can become rather raucous, to put it politely and one is answering back a lot at the moment, had him the longest, for years, so put him his place :laughing:

We were talking about things to do in the holidays, only 1 day for each family and only 2 older ones at a time.....was surprised when feeding the ducks was suggested, also making a birthday card and fathers day cards, but thats only cos they are here all day. If I organise something after school, they really arent interested