PDA

View Full Version : Shes a screamer!

snufflepuff
26-05-2010, 12:40 PM
I've got a little girl her on here 2nd settling in session. She is fine for the first few minutes, even ok with watching mum leave. But then thats it, the screaming starts! She sleeps in a buggy, and i have just spent 35 minutes rocking and jigging to get her to sleep. My poor son had trouble getting to sleep with all the racket she makes, and hes a sensitive little soul so he gets upset when she cries.

Please tell me this will get better! What can i do?!

Im not going to be making any rash decisions just yet but i have to say, if this carries on, i can't keep caring for her! I could deal with it if it was just me but i can't have my son being affected by it.

green puppy
26-05-2010, 12:43 PM
It's only her second session so if you can hold out and see what happens then I would. Perhaps mum or dad can leave a comfort item for her or bring a favourite toy activity to help her settle in. Good luck.

Rubybubbles
26-05-2010, 12:47 PM
How old is she?

Poor mite, just imagine going to somewhere new and then mum leaves you there:eek: :)

caz3007
26-05-2010, 12:47 PM
I have a one year old thats been with me for a few weeks, only one session a week and had several settling sessions. Today is the first time he has been happy, although we did spend some of the time in town. It has got better and better each time he has come.

2 settling sessions, isnt a lot and the child probably needs longer to settle. Good luck, I know how draining it is

grindal
26-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Your post reminds me of my first ever mindee this time last year! The little girl I looked after howled and upset my DS1 and 2. By the end of day 2 I really thought I had done the wrong thing, but by the end of the first week she was a lot more cheerful and had settled into her routine really well - but I remember that first week well!!
Good Luck - just be nice and consistent with her - she will soon settle.

Playmate
26-05-2010, 12:55 PM
I have a little boy of 10mths who screamed all day for 4 days, I was prepared to give it one more day and then give up. On the fifth day he stopped crying and has been a delight ever since :D

snufflepuff
26-05-2010, 01:05 PM
She will be one in a few days. Shes a lovely little thing when shes happy, i so hope she settles in ok!
Makes me feel awful, i can't help but think that my son would have been exactly the same if i'd had to put him into childcare- breaks my heart!

Tippy Toes
26-05-2010, 01:28 PM
I've got a little girl her on here 2nd settling in session. She is fine for the first few minutes, even ok with watching mum leave. But then thats it, the screaming starts! She sleeps in a buggy, and i have just spent 35 minutes rocking and jigging to get her to sleep. My poor son had trouble getting to sleep with all the racket she makes, and hes a sensitive little soul so he gets upset when she cries.

Please tell me this will get better! What can i do?!

Im not going to be making any rash decisions just yet but i have to say, if this carries on, i can't keep caring for her! I could deal with it if it was just me but i can't have my son being affected by it.

Ive experienced this on 2 occasions, the first tine little one cried for 2 days solid and then that was it! Happy ever since and loves it here.

The second one was fine when she first started coming, then a few months after the screaming started, this time it lasted for several weeks, but now little one is also very happy.

Only you can decide how long you are willing to cope with it, it will get better but only time will tell on how long.

Good luck :)

Shirlwith3
26-05-2010, 01:47 PM
I have one like that S has been coming since 7th April & he is 8mths still not happy I also mind a 9mth A too who is better cries when mum leaves & when going to sleep, S is so bad that he never plays or babbles like A, I have now invested a book called "The baby whisper Solve all your problems" it has given me some tips as with S I can do anything with him, nothing calms him, I have now started to sit beside him on the floor & while he is screaming & crying I rub his back & make a shushing noise which really calms him once he has calmed down I praise him for calming down as the book says don't pick & hug (that is what S wants all the time & he is too heavy to carry around).
This book is really good (am still reading it)

Here are the 5 types of childthat it talks about:

ANGEL
Eating: theyr're generally good eaters as babies, if given a chance they're open to trying new things

Activites: Moderatelty active: they play independently from babyhood on. These babies have high tolerence for change, they very portable. they also very social like to interact & are very good at sharing, unless overwhelmed by another child's aggressiveness.

Sleep: Go down easily & independently, sleep long stretchesby six weeks. After 4 mths will take a good 2hr nap in morning, 1 1/2 hr nap in afternoon & until around 8mths a 40min nap in early evening

Mood: Usually easygoing & upbeat & not extremly reactive to strimulation or change. their needs are steady & predictable. Parents find them easy to read because their emotional signs are so apparent. Hence hunger is not often mistaken for fatigue.

How they are often discribed: Discribed as good as gold. You wouldn't believe they were in the house. I could have five children like HIM.

TEXTBOOK

Eating: Very simular to Angel babies, although solid food may have to be introduced more slowly

Activites: Moderately active. Since they do everything on time, it's easy to choose appropriate-level toys. Some are real doers, others hang back a bit.

Sleep: They usually need the full 20mins - the typicaltime it takes a baby to drift from tiredness to settling into sleep. If particularly overstimulated, they may need a bit more calming from a partent.

Mood: Simular to Angel babies, they're low reactors - fairly unflapperable as long as someone pays attention to their signs of hunger, sleep etc.

How they are often discribed: She's right on time with everything. She is mellow unless she needs something. Low maintenance child.
TOUCHY

Eating: Tends to get frustrated & anything can upset thier desire to eat - flow, body position, condition in the room. If breastfed, amy have trouble latching on & differculty getting sucking rhythm. Will balk at any kind of chance or if you talk too loud. Refuse solids at first- you have to be presistent.

Activites: Very cautious about new toys, new situations, new people & need a lot of support in such situations or when going through any kind of transition. Tehey tend to have low activity levels & need to be encouraged to participate. They usually less sensitive in the afternoon & better at one to one play than groups. Avoid afternoon play dates.

Sleep: Extremley important to swaddle & block out stimulation. If you miss their "sleep window", these babies get so overtired that it take at least twice as long to get them to sleep.They tend to go back to sleep in midmorning for a long stretch & only catnap in the afternoon.

Mood: They're sometimes cranky in the delivery room, wher bright lights seem to overwhelm them. they are highly irriatble, very reactive to & easily upset by external stimulation.

How they are often discribed: A real crybaby. The slightest thing sets him off. He's not good with other people. He always ends up in my lap or cling to my leg.

SPIRTED

Eating: Very simular to Angel baby in the eating department, but breastfeeders can get impatient. If mum's letdown is too slow he bob off the breast as if to say "Hey what gives". Sometimes you need to give a supplement with a bottle until milk really flowing.

Activites: High engery, feisty & very active. They are ready to jump into almost any situation & exercise little impluse control or caution when they do. They are highly reactive & can be aggressive withpeers. Beacuse they're usualy more cooperative in the morning, avoid afternoon play groups so they can wind down.

Sleep: As babies, they hate to be swaddled, but you absolutley need to block out any visual stimultaion. They tend to be resistant to naps or nighttime rituals, beacuse they don't want to miss anything. If you're lucky, even though they sleep ;ess in the morning it will be followed by a long afternoon nap which is key to a good nights sleep for these children.

Mood: When they want something, they want it NOW! Opinionated, very vocal & often stubborn, their moods are mercurial, going quickly from happy to sad & back again. they love the action but also tend to overdo it, which can lead to a meltdown. Tantrums are hard to stop once they get going.Transitions can be tough too.

How they are often discribed: A handful. Always into something. I don't have energy to keep up with her. Fearless

GRUMPY

Eating: They're very impatient. If breastfed they don't like to wait for mum's letdown, they sometimes do better if bottle fed. However, in both cases, feeds can tak a long time, which tends to overtire them. They don't adapt easily to solids & when they finally do, they tend to insit on the same foods over & over.

Activites: Tey're on the low end of the activity cotinuum, perferring to play by themselves & to use their eyes & ears more than thiir bodies. If they're engaged with a toy or activity, they hate to be interupted & find it hard to end one thing & start another.

Sleep: Sleep dosen't come easily to these babies. They often get overtired becasue they're so resistant & then they tend to fuss themselves to sleep. These children also tend to be catnappers, sleeping in only 40mins stretches, which sets off a viciuos cycle.

Mood: AS we say in Yorkshire, thes babies are often "on the fuss". Like a simmering pot that you have to watch to make sure it dosen't boil over, you have to keep an eye on thier emotiola signs. The slightest variation from routine can set them off: a missed nap, a stimulating activity, too much comapy. Without a rountine, their lives are in turmoil & eventually they take over your life.

How they are often discribed: What a sourpuss. He seems to prefer playing on his own. I feel like I am always waiting for his next meltdown. He always has to have his way.