PDA

View Full Version : Don't know what to do

Adiamond
26-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Hi, last month I had a visit from some parents looking for childcare from September 3 days a week for their baby who will be 10 months by then. The mum asked for references so I chased them up and she has let me know this week that she would like to use me :) BUT in the meantime I have signed up a 6 month old baby full time, by the time September comes both babies will be 10 months. I believe I cannot apply to Ofsted until 6 weeks before for a variation this will only be until mid November when 1 baby turns 1.
Obviously mum of new baby wants to know what she needs to do next and if I am going to hold the place open I would like some sort of retainer/deposit.
But I don't even know if I can offer her the place until I can apply to Ofsted.
Grrrrr why is everything always soooo complicated?????
Any advice would be great thank you x x x

Chell
26-05-2010, 11:35 AM
From what I have read on here I don't think OFSTED will allow the variation, it isn't continuation of care.

I think you'll have to go with the one you want best, I presume the one with most hours.

Toothfairy
26-05-2010, 11:38 AM
I think you will have to let the parents know that were too late in getting back to you and that the space has now gone.

youarewhatyoueat
26-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Just apply to ofsted for the variation to be in place for now, all you need to do is give information as to how you would cope with the ages, ie the equipment you have for sleeping, eating and transport. Be vague about the start dates unless they ask just say you are asking for the variation before you say yes to the mums.
I took 2 9 months olds on with a few weeks between them and was rung up and asked questions and the variation was granted, I don't think it necessary to wait for 6 weeks before they are due as the place needs to be booked.
I haven't heard of a 6 week rule, is that new? as its a bit daft if people need to book a place in advance.

Twinkles
26-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Could you not take on an assistant for those few weeks ? Ofsted will probably grant the variation if you have an assistant.

Adiamond
26-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Could you not take on an assistant for those few weeks ? Ofsted will probably grant the variation if you have an assistant.

Oooo never thought of that :idea:
My hubbie is already my registered assistant so am I right in thinking that I am more likely to be granted a variation if I say I am working with an assistant?
x x x