PDA

View Full Version : Little ones or schoolies?

Kaz1
26-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Just wondering .... sorry all! Will be new to childminding and started off thinking I would like to do pre and after school care, so no under fours. Just wondered, those of your that favour one group or t'other why you came to that decision and the reasons why you prefer one group over another?

If a decision is made, say to only have only over 4's, does one still have to show at pre-reg inspection how you would implement EYFS etc and have all policies, risk assessments, etc, that you would have for younger ones anyway?

marzi
26-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm only pre reg myself so have limited advice but i'm sure if it s wrong someone will correct me.

I think that you will have to show ofsted how you will implement the EYFS even if you dont plan on having under 5's as on your certificate it will still say you can have x amount under 5. So you could, technically, say you won't have children in the early years age range not do any of the work but then have them anyway iyswim.

Can't advise on ages as not started yet but i plan on not taking on any mindees older than my own.

HTH x

Kaz1
26-05-2010, 09:35 AM
"So you could, technically, say you won't have children in the early years age range not do any of the work but then have them anyway iyswim"

Hi Marzi, thanks for your reply, but could you elaborate - my head's spinning! Do you mean that I could tell myself I would only take on over 5's, but then take on younger as I was registered to do so ... ? What do you mean by "not do any of the work" ... sorry if I'm being thick !

mama2three
26-05-2010, 10:04 AM
"So you could, technically, say you won't have children in the early years age range not do any of the work but then have them anyway iyswim"

Hi Marzi, thanks for your reply, but could you elaborate - my head's spinning! Do you mean that I could tell myself I would only take on over 5's, but then take on younger as I was registered to do so ... ? What do you mean by "not do any of the work" ... sorry if I'm being thick !

I think that if you have registered to care for under 5s then all the policies etc relating to this register need to be in place - regardless of whether you are likely to take any on at this time.It keeps your options open for the future , when you may decide to take on a younger child , perhaps a sibling , or maybe lack of enquiries for older children.
many of the policies etc are just as relevant to older children , and you will still need to risk assess etc.
I havent restricted myself to one age range simply because I need the work , so will assess each enquiry on its merits.

marzi
26-05-2010, 10:34 AM

I just meant that if you were a bit dodgy ( not saying you are! ) that you could tell Ofsted you werent looking after under 5's and not do any of the paperwork like policies, observations etc but you could actually take on under 5's. Not that that makes any more sense lol.

Kaz1
26-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Marzi and Mamaof3 thanks for your replies. Makes sense.

Oh, and I'm only a little bit dodgy ;)

caz3007
26-05-2010, 01:31 PM
For 6 months last year I only had after schoolies, it was lovely to have the day to myself. Then in September I started 2 under 5's and now do both, I need the money, could tick over with the after schoolies, but the under 5's allowed some extras. I will be losing some of my afterschoolies at some point, so really need some more.

Toothfairy
26-05-2010, 02:52 PM
I have both under 5's and after schoolies.
I would not be able to survive on the money I get from after schoolers only.

marzi
26-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Marzi and Mamaof3 thanks for your replies. Makes sense.

Oh, and I'm only a little bit dodgy ;)

Best way to be lol but then again I would say that as I am tooo :laughing: