PDA

View Full Version : Ponds, wooden flooring, utility rooms ...

Kaz1
26-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Hi

I've posted a couple of times previously. I am hoping to become a childminder and have my briefing session tomorrow. I've been avidly reading the forum and from what I've read am wondering if the following may be considered problems towards registering or will be overcome with risk assessments etc.

I have a pond - this is in a fenced off area at the bottom of the garden (pond and fencing inherited with house!). I know that my other half will not want to put a cover over (it has koi and I know he will think any type of covering will spoil his enjoyment of the view!). Will it be sufficient for me to show that I have risk assessed, will be with children at all times they are in garden, etc?

Have oak flooring throughout ground floor of house - may this be a problem, eg. hardness/easier to slip on.

Laundry equipment - I have a utility room with washing machine/tumble dryer, but most importantly toilet ! that I will want to use. I have a vague recollection of a post saying something like mindees should be kept away from laundry equipment ... ?? Appreciate your advice.

marzi
26-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Hi,

I had my pre reg inspection recently and the inspector didnt even mention my laminate flooring so as long as you risk assess and create sensible house rules like no running, etc you should be ok with that.

As to the pond if it is fenced off, the children have no access and they are not left unsupervised in the garden you should be ok with that. Don't forget to risk assess. Or for your own piece of mind could you cover it with strong mesh? Children have wandered off from gardens and drowned in someone elses pond.

No idea about the laundry equipment hopefully someone wil come along with other advice on that one soon.

HTH x

Toothfairy
26-05-2010, 11:45 AM
You will need to risk asses each area.

I don't know much about ponds but I have wooden flooring all throung my downstairs. I risk asses them, make the children wear slippers/slipper socks with the rubber grips, wash the floors each night etc and I have a wooden floor policy.

The laundry room again you would risk asses, cupboard locks, all powder/softener out of reach, applience lock on the machines so children can't climb inside etc.

HTH :thumbsup:

Kaz1
26-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies, all helpful.

Toothfairy - on another note - doesnt washing the floors every night ruin them?; most wood flooring manufacturers tell you not to wet the floors too often ...

PixiePetal
26-05-2010, 01:45 PM
My downstairs loo is accessed through the utilility room.

I store products in a high cupboard, make sure washing machine is closed and put a safety gate to separate the floor standing oil boiler from children - may put a board over the gate as well but at the moment only the 3yr old mindee uses the loo and he is Mr sensible.:thumbsup:

Not had visit from O since moving here and still finding things to tweak in RA as mindees get older and younger ones start.

Toothfairy
26-05-2010, 02:02 PM
I have one of those steam mops, they are great for wood floors. :thumbsup:

Kaz1
26-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Ooh, I'll have to take a look at one ... we also have wood throughout most of the downstairs but stupidly put it in the kitchen also ... its now looking worse for wear and may have to be sanded... a bit off topic, but do you use the WOCA wood cleaners?

Toothfairy
26-05-2010, 02:19 PM
We use this one as it is non-slip.

http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/products/wood-finishes/wood-oils/flooring-oil.htm?gclid=CPG1hJL_76ECFU1h4wodNB6NcQ

Toothfairy
26-05-2010, 02:23 PM
They don't make my steam mop anymore but this one is very similar.

http://www.thanedirect.co.uk/products/housewares/h2omopultra/h2omopultra.php?utm_source=AdWords&utm_medium=PPC&utm_term=steam%20mop&utm_content=3694954785&utm_campaign=g_ppc_h2o_mop_ultra_general_terms&Network=Search&SiteTarget=&gclid=CInX95mA8KECFR2Y2AodbmXsIg

Kaz1
26-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks Toothfairy! I think I'll order one!

Dragonfly
26-05-2010, 07:54 PM
I have a fenced of pond and have had it for 16 years, been a childminder for 14 years never had a problem with ofsted.got utility room, big front opening side by side freezer/fridge, tumble dryer, washing machine and loo keep detergents locked away risk assess etc
Now, have had oak floors put down all through my downstairs havent risk assessed these hadnt thought about them,didnt do risk on my old carpets! why do you need to wash them? i was told not to, hoover/sweep oil once a year (no shoes inside house)

babs
26-05-2010, 08:09 PM
all of my downstairs is either wooden flooring or tiles.... inspecter didnt comment on it.. i also use a stream mop they are great.. risk assess floors ,like making sure mindees walk and dont run , wear slippers to avoid slipping over, etc..

as for washing machine, dryer and freezer..i have turned my utility room into a playroom which has all of theses items was like this when i had my inspection and only thing she said was maybe i needed a rug so it would be warmer under lo's bum in winter (tiled floor) which i have now got in there..

pond im not sure about i do have a fountain and asked if i should remove it she said as long as my risk assessment was soild then there shouldnt be a problem and it was great as lo's cud see insects and bugs and things on it during summer months when she did inspection lo's had put frogs into it... lol..

Kaz1
27-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks ladies, So seems risk assess pond and utility equipment will hopefully be ok.

Dragonfly - we were also told not to wash, but do every so often. I think I'll get one of the steam mops though.

Dragonfly
27-05-2010, 06:19 PM
will look at steam mops Kaz1 also thanks