PDA

View Full Version : advice re. assistant

mumx3
25-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Hello there

I am considering having my auntie as an assistant (self employed) but I need some specific questions answered before I jump in. I need to do so as my daughter has been diagnosed with Hypermobility syndrome and we have been warned that there will be regular physio appointments and dragging 3 under twos with me is not good for them, me or my daughter. So I want to use an assistant to stay in my home for a couple of hours at the times when I need to get my daughter to her appointments.

Is this allowed?

How long can an assistant be left?

Another reason would be that I have a parent who has asked for their child to do an extra day a week, however I already have 3 under 5's on that day.

If I employed the assitant to work with me on that day would I be allowed to have 4 under 5's?

Is it the case that you can have up to 6 under 5 or under 8 with an assistant, and without planning permission?

sorry for many questions!

rickysmiths
25-05-2010, 01:13 PM
If it is a child that is already with you you should be able to get a variation to have 4 under 5s on Continuety of Care.

An assistant can be left with parents written premission and Ofsteds (you need it written on you cert) as long as they have a First Aid Cert. Also the children have to be under 5yrs (in EYFS)

I would be surprised if you will be allowed to leave 4 under 5s alone with an assistant you would need to ask Ofsted.

If the Assistant is working for more than 15hrs a week you will need to speak to the Tax people because my Accountant told me that if this is the case they can't be self employed you have to employ them-paying tax/NI min wage paid holdays and sickness.

Also plan what, if you get higher numbers, you do if the assistant is on holiday or off sick?

green puppy
25-05-2010, 01:17 PM
I am registered for 5 under 5's with an assistant, I was recently granted a variation for 4 under 5's for 4 days a week. Assistants need to be first aid trained to have sole charge of the children and signed permission. Ofsted don't necessarily increase your numbers, it depends on space aswell. I think planning permission is needed for more than 6 children. Just ring ofsted and check about an assistant being left in charge.

EvieT
22-07-2010, 08:41 PM
I am registered for 5 under 5's when working with an assistant.

As I understand it neither CM or assistant should have 5 under 5's in their sole care at all, so you would need to be careful about how many children would be in 'your' care when you have an appointment to attend.

It doesnt state a specific length of time assistants can be left with mindees either - it says 'short periods'.

The best thing to do is to speak to ofsted about your specific situation asking for a variation to your registration.
They will send you a form to complete and any information they need before making their decision.

Chatterbox Childcare
23-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Hello there

I am considering having my auntie as an assistant (self employed) but I need some specific questions answered before I jump in. I need to do so as my daughter has been diagnosed with Hypermobility syndrome and we have been warned that there will be regular physio appointments and dragging 3 under twos with me is not good for them, me or my daughter. So I want to use an assistant to stay in my home for a couple of hours at the times when I need to get my daughter to her appointments.

Is this allowed?

speak to Ofsted

How long can an assistant be left?

speak to Ofsted

Another reason would be that I have a parent who has asked for their child to do an extra day a week, however I already have 3 under 5's on that day.

talk to Ofsted

If I employed the assitant to work with me on that day would I be allowed to have 4 under 5's?

Is it the case that you can have up to 6 under 5 or under 8 with an assistant, and without planning permission?

with an assistant I have 9 under 8 of which 6 can be under 5. As to planning permission this is your council who decide not Ofsted.

sorry for many questions!

lot of ask Ofsted as they are the only ones with the answers and they could be different every time.

If you do have an assistant you have to have Ofsted clearnace, permission and noted on your certificate, first aid trained person and you need employers liabiity insurance from your insurance company and finally written permission from any child's parent that you are leaving

Lots of threads on this in the Assistants section too.

rachelle
23-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Hiya - how old is your daughter? I ask as I have a ds with regular physio but have arranged for it to be school based (they are happy to support this and the physio is happy to see him there) and pre school age she came to the house to work with him. There are ways round it...

When we do have to go to cdc for an app or review the parent of my full timer is happy for him to come along. I offer to refund the hour but she never accepts! I would speak to physio first and see if they can come out to you :)