PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to chop down the ivy?

loopy lou
26-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Hi all.
Am a newbie so please be gentle!
I am at my wits end! Have an inspection next week, no one seems to know if I should get rid of ivy or just cut it back. It's growing in my garden over a fence. I also belong to an allotment forum and they are saying just to tidy it up that the type of ivy in my garden is not poisonous. I have asked the local children information team and no one seems to know there either!! :angry: :

Everything else is pretty much in order. Have been running around like a nut to get everything together! Will be glad when the thing is over!!:clapping:

Loupy Lou:jump for joy:

crazybones
26-03-2008, 09:48 AM
I have this problem with a neighbours ivy too. It really bugs me when other peoples gardens encroach onto mine. I have cut it back and the inspector didnt say anything at my inspection. I dont know what type it is though.

LittleAcorns
26-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Hi Loopy Lou

I cant see there being a problem I have 2 types of Ivy in my garden and wasnt told to cut it down

sarah707
26-03-2008, 11:08 AM
I would -

- cut it back as much as you can;

- avoid the issue if possible;

- if it comes up show you have done your research by making your 'taking children to hospital in case of ingestion of poisonous plants' policy avaiable to the inspector - sorry, couldn't resist! :laughing:

- including this in your risk assessment
http://www.rhs.org.uk/research/documents/c_and_e_harmful.pdf

- risk assessing to show how you monitor children at all times, cut the plant back daily, pick up leaves as they fall etc;

- provide picture evidence (if possible) to show it's not the dangerous stuff anyway.

Hope this helps :D

wendywu
26-03-2008, 11:31 AM
I have Ivy in my garden and got outstanding. I have a risk assessment of the garden and also a garden policy. The inspector was happy with this:)

Pauline
26-03-2008, 11:51 AM
We cut ours back to short lengths and keep it under control with fine netting at low level so that leaves cannot be pulled off and eaten by little ones. It is a shame to cut it right down as we hope to have birds nesting in it.

It can be poisionous and also cause skin irritation. I just like to err on the side of caution and don't want to take unnecessary risks.

donnagwynne
26-03-2008, 05:21 PM
And it is the berries that are most poisonous, they can be either red but more likely to be a black colour. I would get rid of these as soon as you see them forming.
Donna

wendywu
26-03-2008, 05:26 PM
I never have berries on mine!!:panic:

loopy lou
26-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi.

No i've never had berries on mine either.:mad:

I have decided that i am gonna cut it back. Just gone out today and bought a hedge trimmer, ooh errh!! So will tackle the task tomorrow weather permitting? N:blush: :blush: ever used one before.

Have my inspection on Monday. Can not believe all the stress that comes with it? All the paperwork!

I have looked after kids as a nanny for the past 20 years and that was a doddle compared to this.

Thanks for all the help with the IVY problem. This is a great site!

Loopy Lou:clapping:

angeldelight
26-03-2008, 11:00 PM
I would just cut it back can not see that it would be a danger I have had ivy for all my years of minding and its never ever been a problem

Good luck with your registration I am sure you will do fine

Keep us posted

Angel xx

wendywu
26-03-2008, 11:08 PM
You dont serve Ivy crumble and custard then Angel?:laughing:

angeldelight
26-03-2008, 11:11 PM
ooooooooh thats sounds scrummy - anything that you can eat is fine with me

How do you make it haha

xxx

Twinkles
26-03-2008, 11:12 PM
You dont serve Ivy crumble and custard then Angel?:laughing:

Only if she asks nicely :D

wendywu
26-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Well thats it i now want to know why i have sub standard Ivy.

Its not fair if every one else gets berries and i dont. Why whats wrong with me, dont i work hard enough to deserve berries. I dont ask for the world, one little berry now and then is all i ask, im not greedy i would even share my last berry with Twinkles.

First thing in the morning im onto Trading Standards about my berry less condition. Im sure it infringes my human rights to have ones berries with held.

I am berry berry unhappy.

Do i need a berry policy? Or maybe a non-berry policy, or a blue berry policy. or a black berry policy ( theres a joke there but i might get thrown off the forum).:laughing:

miffy
27-03-2008, 07:29 AM
Oh never mind wendywu no berries on my ivy either

When ofsted first took over the inspector mentioned about the ivy in my garden - I told her it was non-poisonous (hadn't got a clue really) and she accepted that - it's never been mentioned since

I have cut a lot of it down but it's really hard to get rid of all the roots but it doesn't have any berries on ever

miffy xx

manjay
27-03-2008, 07:35 AM
I have found some for you but you will have to share!

amanda xx

miffy
27-03-2008, 07:38 AM
Thank you Amanda - the ivy looks the same but def no berries!

miffy xx

loopy lou
27-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Hi

Well I did it!! I have cut back the Ivy. Bought a hedge trimmer yesterday, what a joy, felt like blimmin Arnie, tried to find other stuff to cut back, had so much fun with it!!Went to the dump 4 times with all the stuff, am completely exhausted now!! Hubbie was expecting me to phone from casualty, has such faith in me!! Thing is as if you would leave the kids unattended in the garden to eat the stuff anyway!!:laughing:

Still got some more jobs to do, get some safety film for the the porch, frame for my certificate, sort out some observations and hopefully that should be it. Can't wait for Monday to be over with. Friend of mine would of got a "good" had she of put her certificate on the wall, how pants is that?
Thanks again for all your help:littleangel:

Loopy Lou:clapping:

angeldelight
27-03-2008, 04:31 PM
You sound busy at least the weather was nice today well it was here anyhow

Angel xx

buildingblocks
29-03-2008, 05:33 AM
Well thats it i now want to know why i have sub standard Ivy. Its not fair if every one else gets berries and i dont. Why whats wrong with me, dont i work hard enough to deserve berries. I dont ask for the world, one little berry now and then is all i ask, im not greedy i would even share my last berry with Twinkles.
:

I know with holly you need a male and female plant to produce berries maybe its the same with Ivy (is htere such a thing as an ivy dating agency lol)

wendywu
29-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Ohhh errrr i dont want my Ivy Fern-acating i mean fornacating all over my fence.:blush:

It might give my husband ideas:laughing:

crazybones
29-03-2008, 05:00 PM
:ROFL1: :ROFL1: