PDA

View Full Version : taking toys to playshcool...help!!

sarahstanbridge
25-05-2010, 12:01 PM
hello all,

i have a mindee whose parent allow her to take larger toys to preschool. yesterday was a dolly pram today a scooter. thing is sometimes we walk home which turns into a nightmare as half way she doesnt want it anymore and i end up having to carry it the rest of the way. its not too bad if i only her but on the days i have 2 its a nightmare and in a few weeks i will have 2 little ones in pram (10 months and 19 months) and 2 walking (4 years) which will leave me no free hands. i have asked parents not to do this due to safetly etc when i have more than one but it seems not to have gone in. does anyone else have this problem and sorted it... the other issue i have with it is she is relucant to share the item when we get home with the other children.

thanks sarah

mama2three
25-05-2010, 12:10 PM
a couple of times where you have to leave it at playgroup as you couldnt get it home may make them realise! And im sure playgroup will have something to say to parents too as they wont be wanting to store larger toys as well as their own!

Ripeberry
25-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Maybe this will be a good opportunity to show "working with other settings" if you have a word with the pre-school and see if they can ask the parent not to bring things in. They might think the toys come from your setting.
It's easier in the long run to have a blanket ban on all toys from home, stops jealousy and lost property :thumbsup:

SYLVIA
25-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Ive had this with one mindee. I told parents that it would be the childs responsibilty to carry/push it all the way home as I couldn't manage with other children etc.After the first time of doing this by themselves, the child realised that I wasn't going to help they told their parent they didn't want to take it anymore. Parents don't seem to understand what's involved in getting a number of children to and from places

sarahstanbridge
25-05-2010, 01:01 PM
a couple of times where you have to leave it at playgroup as you couldnt get it home may make them realise! And im sure playgroup will have something to say to parents too as they wont be wanting to store larger toys as well as their own!

playschool wont allow it to be left. i have tried this tactic.

mama2three
25-05-2010, 01:02 PM

Tell them you physically cant take it. If they need it collecting ring the parents. smile , and leave!

The Juggler
25-05-2010, 01:06 PM

then they should not allow the parent to leave it in the morning. If you can't carry it, or it's not safe for mindee to push it then they can't make you take it with you - it's a safety issue! sorry not having a go at you but them! I agree with others ask the school staff to work with you and start relaying this message to parent.

I've done this with parents before and say I can't take these things home with me. My kids have to do without their scooters etc as I've so many children so it's not fair for mindees to have large toys to push around:(

ChocolateChip
25-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Unless it's something for show and tell at nursery we don't take anything anywhere, I don't want to be responsible for it getting lost or broken. I don't mind them bringing something to play with but it stays at home.

Pipsqueak
25-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Tell them you physically cant take it. If they need it collecting ring the parents. smile , and leave!

agreed:thumbsup:

sarah707
25-05-2010, 07:08 PM
It's your business so your rules!

If you don't want to take things with you then explain that to the parents... if parents give in and let children bring things, then explain, in their hearing, that the things won't be going to school!.. and stick to your guns.

Focus on the health and safety aspect of the problem and explain you have risk assessed it and it's simply not safe.

I find children are very quick to learn that different places have different rules.

With the sharing issue, if a child brings something and shares, then fine.

If a child brings something and is unable to share it goes on their shelf with their bag until home time.

:D

Dragonfly
25-05-2010, 07:49 PM
the only things I take with me to nursery,school pre school etc is the children and there bags, unless its a small toy for show and tell other wise it stays at mine!!

onceinabluemoon
25-05-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm assuming form your post that parent takes the child to nursery with the large toy and you pick up?

In this case just refuse to take the toy from nursery. As somebody has already said tell them you've risk assessed the situation and have deemed it unsafe, you will not put the children at risk. You could now said you've already mentioned that it is difficult for you to take home. It's then up to the nursery to call parent to arrange pick up. What can they do, they cannot force you to take it? I'm sure they'll be a whole lot more helpful about not letting parent leave large toys after this has happened! ;)

If you are taking child with large toy, just don't take it then there's no problem!

FizzysFriends
25-05-2010, 08:10 PM
I had this and parent said letting the child take the to preschool is the only way to get the child through the door. The items got bigger and bigger and one day I really struggled to get the scooter in the car with all the other children and equipment so I asked the preschool that if parent shows up with anything large again they refuse to store it and request the parent takes it home.

sarahstanbridge
25-05-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm assuming form your post that parent takes the child to nursery with the large toy and you pick up?

yes, parent takes child to school in Car!!!! and i pick up at lunch time.

sarahstanbridge
25-05-2010, 10:19 PM
If a child brings something and is unable to share it goes on their shelf with their bag until home time.
:D

thats what i do. but these items are too large to put on a shelf!! i put them in corner in my hall but everytime child goes to toilet she reappears with them and the battle begins again... sarah x

The Juggler
26-05-2010, 06:23 AM
I had this and parent said letting the child take the to preschool is the only way to get the child through the door. The items got bigger and bigger and one day I really struggled to get the scooter in the car with all the other children and equipment so I asked the preschool that if parent shows up with anything large again they refuse to store it and request the parent takes it home.

that's what I think they should do:D

miffy
26-05-2010, 06:29 AM

Good idea!

On the sharing issue - leave the toy outside or lock in the garage or another room, anywhere where she can't get to it so you don't have to keep having the same battle.

Miffy xx

suzyblue
26-05-2010, 06:34 AM
My friend (a childminder) went to collect a mindee from playgroup with her double buggy and the parents had left a big bulky car seat for her to take home as the other parent was picking up and needed it in their car. My friend doesnt drive and another parent from playgroup had to take it for her. Some parents!!!