PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER question (siblings)

Helen Dempster
25-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Do any of you offer a discount for siblings? I would like to, as being a parent I know how expensive it is! However, I don't want to shoot myself in a foot as I am running a business.

If any of you offer a discount, how much do you take off your normal fees? I'm not asking what you charge, that's none of my business, just wanted to know if it's a substantial amount you discount?

Thanks guys n gals - sorry for all the Qs today!

mrs c
25-05-2010, 10:38 AM
I don't offer discount as having two is twice the work and takes away potential earnings. However if you find you are struggling to get business and offering a discount will help you get work then it would be in your best interest to consider doing this.

Millenium
25-05-2010, 10:44 AM
I personally have never offered a different rate for a sibling although I know that quite a few settings do. I have never been asked by a parent but have had a number of "family pairs" over the years. I don't believe there is any less work with having two children from the same family - you still have two sets of paperwork (learning journals, observations, planning etc.) and as the financial "risk" for the minder is greater because if the family leave, you will lose two children's incomes in one go, I double their notice period to 8 weeks instead of 4.

Hope this helps.

wendy222
25-05-2010, 10:44 AM
hi i give 50p hour discount

misst104
25-05-2010, 10:56 AM
I don't offer any discount for siblings. Its a business at the end of the day and the 2nd child takes up a place so I charge for that place! I also know a few cm's in area that do offer discount though. Usually 10% around here.

x jo

Helen Dempster
25-05-2010, 11:23 AM
thanks - that's a great help.

Rubybubbles
25-05-2010, 11:37 AM
I offer 10% in the sibling is school age (school age child gets 10%)

BUT I have 2 children 0730-1730 siblings and they are on 50p less each per hour! But this was my choice (as it was I moved area and the rate is still better than my last lol) and when I moved I wanted work quick!

AnnieM
25-05-2010, 02:21 PM
I offer a 50p per hour discount for the oldest sibling when they are here together, but if they are here on their own for any reason then it is full hourly fee. :thumbsup:

snufflepuff
25-05-2010, 03:05 PM
If the situation came up and a parent asked for a discount i may consider it, if i needed the work. But i dont think id offer it as standard- its still 2 spaces, same costs, same amount of work etc.

tashaleee
25-05-2010, 04:54 PM
I dont anymore - I used to until I figured out having siblings is more hassle than 2 children from separate families and they cross boundaries and fight/argue with each other far more :rolleyes:

suzyblue
26-05-2010, 07:02 AM
I used to but dont now. As said, siblings can be hard work.