PDA

View Full Version : am i on the right lines for obs??

devoncm
26-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Ok, i found a thread the other day about how to put in practice the obs side of things but im unable to find it now.

Anyway i had my 11month mindee yesturday, his mum stayed with him as he is always crying when hes left (he didnt yesturday) we sat on the mat and played with the bricks, eventually he got the idea to try and put them on top of each other when he put a couple on top he would knock them over, a little while later(after his mum stopped fussing him,she did that alot), we played with houses from 3 little pigs, as the roof comes of one i would put a pig inside and he would have a look through the roof and get it out by opening the door, would i write this to put in my obs for him for that day?

Pipsqueak
26-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Write exactly what you see devon. Keep that part of the obs factual.

In your next bit - assessment you can then write how you feel it went (the activity) what sort of things they child found easy/hard how he coped etc. Then you can plan what you do next - ie/ repeat activity daily/next week, what areas this covered and what you can do next to improve activity/ meet his requirements/ take him onto next stage if you think he is ready.

devoncm
26-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Observation

We sat on the mat and got out the bricks, at first B picked up each one in turn and looked at it and put it back down,he started to watch as I put them on top of each other after a few he would hit it to knock them over. He picked up two of the bricks and was banging them together until they were connected then he just placed a couple on top.
We played with some little houses and pigs, B watched me put a pig in the roof of the house, he would look inside the roof to see but he got the pig out by opening the door, this he turned into a game and would put other things in the roof and get them out through the door.

Assessment

I feel the activities we done went well, from what I could see the connecting the bricks together he found quite difficult,he was happy to just clap them together and gently place them on top to build them.Playing with the pigs and houses I feel he found this very good as he would smile a lot after taking things out through the door instead of the roof.

When he comes next week I will repeat these activities to him, with the bricks I will show him how they connect and see if he will be willing to push them all the way together to see how he copes with the extra force of getting them together.
The pigs and house we will play a game where I will interact with word use like baby pigs and big bad wolf and play along that story line and maybe reading the three little pigs book after

Is this ok, or too much too little or not the way to go?
Sorry but ive not done one before and not sure what to put other than what he has done.
thanks for help

sarah707
26-03-2008, 11:15 AM
That sounds great...!

I wouldn't write that much for every obs though... just a few wordy ones, most are short and sweet.

You mentioned before about how mum fusses him - you could do a quick obs for PSED saying how she holds him close and you will copy that to try and help him settle next time;

You also said how it was '3 little pigs' house... you could link this with some pictures or books about 3 little pigs and maybe visiting the library to borrow the DVD or watching a clip of the story on youtube. :D

Pipsqueak
26-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Great advice from Sarah

And well done devon - your first obs (see that wasn't too bad was it?)

Like Sarah says - not every obs needs to be this big - you can do "mini" ones with sticky labels that build up a picture of a couple of weeks as well

use address labels - your ob example time and date them

"M helped clear dishes from table without being asked"

"J rolled over onto tummy"

well done:clapping:

Pipsqueak
26-03-2008, 11:39 AM
With your obs look at your development guidances, Early Learning Goals etc for guidance, in your EYFS pack etc.... and you will be able to see the milestone guidances

devoncm
26-03-2008, 12:02 PM
thanks guys i feel much better after doing the first one and knowing im not completely dumb at it- i like the good feedback:D

Pipsqueak
26-03-2008, 12:15 PM
When you wade into unknown territory (and what seems like something very formal and professional) it's great to have confirmation that you are on the right track isn't it.