PDA

View Full Version : WHAT !!!!!!

nannysue
24-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Recieved this via email earlier today , its from our local FIS ,

It is a legal requirement for childminders who process personal information on the children in their care , in electronic format , to notify the Information
Commissioners Office . The processing of information includes virtually anthing that is carried out on a computer. Electronic format also includes the use of things like digital cameras( it applies to the use of a digital camera even if the images are printed off not using a computer and the images are deleted)

The annual fee for notification is £35 :eek:

So am i reading it right .....that basicly we have to pay for the privledge of doing photos for obs etc . ???

I certainly don't want to be forking out such money, but what happens if i don't :huh:

Confused or what !!!!!

sonia ann
24-05-2010, 06:42 PM
I'm afraid it's correct Sue....................but you can put it through expenses:)

breezy
24-05-2010, 06:46 PM
What !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! exactly!!!!!! not seen this before, wheres Sarah when you need her ?:laughing:

nannysue
24-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Maddness !!!!!!!!!!!

what will they want us to fork out for next ?????

PixiePetal
24-05-2010, 06:49 PM
TRUE!! :angry: :angry: :angry: I phoned them

crazy, there must be more risks in taking a film into Boots from an traditional film camera but that's the rules :rolleyes: - I had someone go and check when I phoned them.

Even they said it seemed daft but until there is a change in rules, that is it!

I have now registered and paid up :angry: even though I am one who only prints photos on my personal photo printer and same for all those people with pogo printers too :rolleyes:

miffy
24-05-2010, 06:50 PM
I don't know but I hope they're wrong! :panic:

Miffy xx

nannysue
24-05-2010, 06:55 PM
What if we decided to stop taking photos all together , what will Osted have to say re .. obs and learning diaries ??? We are over a barrel really :mad:

sonia ann
24-05-2010, 06:58 PM
this is a copy of the e-mail they sent me last year

Dear Ms xxx
Thank you for your email of 19 May. If the photographs of the children are taken with a digital camera and/or stored on the computer, notification will be required as this is classed as electronic processing.

You can start the application process on-line at http://www.ico.gov.uk/what_we_cover/data_protection/notification.aspx (http://www.ico.gov.uk/what_we_cover/data_protection/notification.aspx)or by telephoning our Notification Helpline on 01625 545740. The fee is £35.00 (VAT nil) annually.

Regards

Notification Department

it is almost quicker to phone them as they fill in the correct form for you and send it to you to sign and return with the fee:)

miffy
24-05-2010, 07:01 PM
TRUE!! :angry: :angry: :angry: I phoned them

crazy, there must be more risks in taking a film into Boots from an traditional film camera but that's the rules :rolleyes: - I had someone go and check when I phoned them.

Even they said it seemed daft but until there is a change in rules, that is it!

I have now registered and paid up :angry: even though I am one who only prints photos on my personal photo printer and same for all those people with pogo printers too :rolleyes:

Oh no! I was hoping it was wrong :(

It's getting ridiculous what with this and food hygiene and Ofsted :panic:

Miffy xx

sarah707
24-05-2010, 07:03 PM
The chair of the local Ncma ARM has a letter stating childminders who use digital cameras do not have to register with the ICO.

She announced it at the ARM last weekend and she was adamant it was right.

Bear with me... I have just left her a message on her machine, I'm sure she will email it to me as soon as she can.

meanwhile I know Heaven Scent and Singlewith3 (among others) were there and will have heard what she said so will back me up.

I'm not saying don't register, just don't part with your money until we have all the facts.

:D

miffy
24-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks Sarah, hope you're right.

Miffy xx

nannysue
24-05-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm definatly hanging onto my money until they have to prise it out of my hands :laughing:

PixiePetal
24-05-2010, 07:14 PM
The chair of the local Ncma ARM has a letter stating childminders who use digital cameras do not have to register with the ICO.

She announced it at the ARM last weekend and she was adamant it was right.

Bear with me... I have just left her a message on her machine, I'm sure she will email it to me as soon as she can.

meanwhile I know Heaven Scent and Singlewith3 (among others) were there and will have heard what she said so will back me up.

I'm not saying don't register, just don't part with your money until we have all the facts.

:D

I know this has been said before and we seem to be going round in circles, where did she get the info as I got it from ICO? :rolleyes:

East Sussex CMA have told us we must register. Wish they would all decide and THEN let us know :angry:

miffy
24-05-2010, 07:15 PM
I'm definatly hanging onto my money until they have to prise it out of my hands :laughing:

You and me both! :laughing:

Miffy xx

singlewiththree
24-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Sarah is right the chair at the ARM was adamant but I haven't seen the email yet. Hope she is right.

ajs
24-05-2010, 07:51 PM
my hubby works in data protection and told me months ago that this was coming, i was holding onto my pennies until it became compulsory though.

i await the email with interest.

miss mopple
Im sure I read in Who Minds a while ago that if all we did was photos on the pc then we didnt need to register.

huggableshelly
I paid up for this last year, when Ofsted saw my things to do list which included pay annual ICO fee she asked what it was for and who had told me I needed to have this. She said if I am not keeping images on pc or laptop and not keeping personal records then there is no need for this.

When I paid up I expected to gain some form of additional security to ensure that noone else could ever access anything on my laptop but I gained nothing other than a recipt of payment with no additional information on how to protect the personal data.

I did not renew it and I keep no personal records now other than on paper, I went back to the good old fashioned way as it saved paying for something I didnt understand.

I was taking my digicamera to the post office until i read somewhere that images uploaded to such printing machines were stored on there so i now print out at home knowing noone else can access the images other than parents when i hand them out.

so sitting and waiting to see what NCMA recomend.

SYLVIA
24-05-2010, 08:00 PM
I've not heard of this yet. Hopefully NCMA will inform all their members that we don't need to pay so we can have a record to keep with our other papers.

PixiePetal
24-05-2010, 08:07 PM
I paid up for this last year, when Ofsted saw my things to do list which included pay annual ICO fee she asked what it was for and who had told me I needed to have this. She said if I am not keeping images on pc or laptop and not keeping personal records then there is no need for this.

When I paid up I expected to gain some form of additional security to ensure that noone else could ever access anything on my laptop but I gained nothing other than a recipt of payment with no additional information on how to protect the personal data.

I did not renew it and I keep no personal records now other than on paper, I went back to the good old fashioned way as it saved paying for something I didnt understand.

I was taking my digicamera to the post office until i read somewhere that images uploaded to such printing machines were stored on there so i now print out at home knowing noone else can access the images other than parents when i hand them out.

so sitting and waiting to see what NCMA recomend.

I told ICO that I have a photo printer not connected to pc, just does photos from card and this is all I do, any thing else identifiable is on paper and they were adamant that I had to register - they also said other CMs had asked same question :rolleyes:

PixiePetal
24-05-2010, 08:07 PM
I've not heard of this yet. Hopefully NCMA will inform all their members that we don't need to pay so we can have a record to keep with our other papers.

That would be good, then I want my money back!

youarewhatyoueat
24-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Does anyone honestly expect the ICO to individually check every childminder, its just not going to happen. I only use photos for obs etc and delete them when they have been printed.
I do not openly post them on facebook or display them on a website, until the rules are changed to stop people posting pictures to share on facebook I will not pay the ICO a penny as I am responsible not to share the photos I take.

Blaze
24-05-2010, 09:25 PM
It was on the NCMA website that we had to register - as useual these people can never make their minds up!:rolleyes:

miffy
24-05-2010, 09:32 PM
I found this on NCMA website

http://www.*************/childminders/your_business/policies_and_procedures/data_protection.aspx

Doesn't mention photos :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

moljak
24-05-2010, 09:39 PM
will be interesting to follow this thread.Thankyou Sarah for trying to find out :)

wendywu
24-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Well i am NOT paying so there. :angry:

Pipsqueak
24-05-2010, 09:52 PM

ditto
its getting ridiculous. I print out the pix and then delete - so whats the £35 for. Are they going to start spot checking us - so come and get me.

ZoeAlli
24-05-2010, 10:18 PM

Me neither!! I don't use my computer for any personal stuff for children I mind and until there are changes don't intend to!

sweets
25-05-2010, 07:27 AM
ive no intention of paying either! what they gonna do, fine us all? lol.

i dont keep personal info of mindees on the computer and always delete photos straight away after printing.

so they can go and take a run and jump!

Mollymop
25-05-2010, 09:27 AM

Me too I think it is darn right ridiculous!:mad:

Alibali
25-05-2010, 01:57 PM
So what exactly do we get for our £35? I'm confused:panic:

Beetlejuice
25-05-2010, 02:28 PM
This was in Who Minds last year and debated at conference that we should get a discount. I am also 100% sure that it's referring to INFORMATION we keep on computer e.g. personal details etc and not photographs. I'm in my second year with the ICO and when I registered they were really helpful - filled out the form for me and I only had to sign it but I keep everything on my PC and have an offsite backup so needed to protect myself and my information. I think £35 is a bit much though.

nannysue
25-05-2010, 03:27 PM
So what exactly do we get for our £35? I'm confused:panic:

You're confused ?? well there's no hope for me then . :D

What is the £35 for , who has it and what do they do with it ???

Chimps Childminding
26-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Can't see how paying helps?????? If someone steals my laptop (which may have photos on if I haven't deleted them - but no details of the children), how does me having paid the ICO £35 help me?????????????????:confused:

Tinglesnark
26-05-2010, 09:18 PM

nor will i!! i would sooner remove all my photos from the computer! :angry:

SandCastles
26-05-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm not paying and I have a laptop full of backups just in case their learning journals go amiss.