PDA

View Full Version : Adult-child ratio with own child under 18 mths.

Louise Green
24-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Hi there, I'm Louise and I'm new here. Hoping to be registered childminder by September at the latest.

I've asked my development worker about this particular query back last summer but I can't remember what she said!

Basically, my little girl will be 18 months old in October and while I know that I can only look after 2 children under 18 months (including my own) I can't remember if after 18 months she'd be classed as one of the 3 minded children if that makes sense? I'm 70% sure that DW said that she wouldn't be, it was only an 'age' issue when she was under 18 months and that I could take on 3 children full-time providing I had no more than 2 under 18 months including my little one.

Is this making sense to anyone? Please help! :)

little chickee
24-05-2010, 05:28 PM
as far as im aware your daughter will count in your ratios until she is 8 (if you are in Scotland like me its until 16!)

If you are allowed 3 pre school age this will be 2 mindees plus your daughter.

manjay
24-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Providing CSSIW allow you the full quota of children you will be allowed a maximum of 3 under 5's with no more than 2 under 18 months. You will need to include your own child in the ratio so you will be allowed 2 full time children. You can also have 3 5-8 year olds but I think form your other post you mention you have a 6 year old so they will need to be included too.

hth

amanda x

Tina O
24-05-2010, 05:34 PM
my understanding of ratios are

six under 8 and of these no more than three can be under 5 and of those three no more than one can be under 12 mths including all you own children under 8 so therefore you can have two under 5 plus your own xx

manjay
24-05-2010, 05:36 PM
my understanding of ratios are

six under 8 and of these no more than three can be under 5 and of those three no more than one can be under 12 mths including all you own children under 8 so therefore you can have two under 5 plus your own xx

Ratios are slightly different in Wales, but you do still need to include your own children

Louise Green
27-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Providing CSSIW allow you the full quota of children you will be allowed a maximum of 3 under 5's with no more than 2 under 18 months. You will need to include your own child in the ratio so you will be allowed 2 full time children. You can also have 3 5-8 year olds but I think form your other post you mention you have a 6 year old so they will need to be included too.

hth

amanda x

Hi Amanda,

I initially asked to be registered for 3 children under 5, and when I wrote to local council I asked about planning permission for 3 children which there wasn't a problem with but just wondering where I'd stand if I asked for another 3 children (5-8 yrs) as far as the registration goes. They'd obviously be part-time places. If I'm registered to look after up to 3 (2 under 5), would the 3rd child be one of my part-time mindees? Got a feeling I'm going to have to contact CSSIW and change my part 1 to make it 2 children (5 and under), 1 child 5+?

Am I making sense? :(

tulip0803
28-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Hi

CSSIW do not normally register you to care for more than 3 children under 5 including your own. It is more likely that you will be registered for 2 under 5 & 1 over until your daughter starts full-time school. You shouldn't have a problem changing it to correct ratios with CSSIW but you may have to write to planning again if you decide to change the total numbers to your maximum - but there is not normally any problem with having up to 6 mindees. I can only have 6 on restrictions from planning & my DD2 is 6 so I can have another over 8 too but no more.

Ring your CSSIW office they are normally very helpful.