PDA

View Full Version : Do you still cook a hot meal for the mindees when the weather is warm?

Fabby
24-05-2010, 11:14 AM
As the title says really? I said i would be doing a cooked meal at lunch times for the children but with the weather being like this, my mindee just isn't eating much at all and especially not a hot meal! Her mum as told me to just give her crackers and cheese (this would usually be on the menu for the afternoon snack because i dont cook a tea).
What do you guys make/cook when the weather is like this?
:idea: please? x

Chell
24-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Lunch is something like crumpets, sandwich, crackers, etc with fruit or veg sticks, etc.

I tend to adapt our cooked dinner in the summer. There are certain things I don't want to cook when it is hot. Such as things that mean the oven has to be on too long making the house warm.

If you need to do something more substantial could you do something like quiche with hot or cold new potatoes, pasta salad that can be hot or cold, homemade pizza with lots of healthy toppings (can use a pitta, muffin, bread roll, panini, etc).

TheBTeam
24-05-2010, 11:37 AM
We generally have a picnic in the garden, so even if the food is warmed like potatoes it is more of a picnic rather than a hot meal, so would have things like new potatoes, tomatoes cucumber and cheese/chicken or quiche etc.

That said we had cauliflower cheese in doors today cos i wanted to use it up and that went down really well1

AliceK
24-05-2010, 11:42 AM
I'll still cook for tea time as usual but they'll eat it in the garden.

xxxxxxxx

singlewiththree
24-05-2010, 11:48 AM
I've done jacket potatoes today but I will probably do sandwiches about 3 times a week in this weather then jacket spud, pasta or rice the other 2 days.

SmartKids
24-05-2010, 12:17 PM
I offer a cooked evening meal, but I do tell parents that when the weather is warm it will be in the form of salad/raw veg, new potatoes, pasta salad, however, I will make sure it contains protein, vitamins and carbs therefore providing a well balanced meal. All my parents are happy with this and so are the children as they can eat outside

fionamal
24-05-2010, 03:04 PM
I do lunches and in the summer its normally sandwiches, salads, pasta, pizza

Winter menu is normally homemade soups, stews, sausage and mash etc

I no longer have a set menu but make whatever I feel is suitable at the time