PDA

View Full Version : Paddling Pools

AliceK
24-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Hi

Yesterday we got the paddling pool out for my own 2 children to mess around in. They had so much fun. I was wondering if we are allowed to have paddling pools for mindees to use? I thought about it for a long time yesterday and decided it would be so much hassle and I couldn't be bothered to sit and write a RA out for it yesterday and thought that I would be so scared to turn my back for a minute if they were in the garden ( 3 x 2yr olds) that it wasn't worth the worry but just got me wondering do any of you have them for young mindees? Mine is only a very small one and the water is only about 8 / 9 inches but obviously as we all know LO's can drown in far less than that. So what do you do?? My DD keeps asking me for it today :(

xxxxx

Twinklestars
24-05-2010, 10:58 AM
i have a 9 month old mindee who i decided it would be too much of a danger for as he would be climbing up it, not sure what the official answer is, am sure someone will know.

also i just told my 5 year old he can have it out again on weds night when mindee has gone but i only have him 2 days a week so not too bad for my ds

cas2805
24-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Not only should children learn about the dangers of water, but I thought we should offer water play. Children could drown in a tray of water, so we must have some RAs in place for water play. I think that a paddling pool is a great idea for mindees, especially as it could help keep them cool as well.

At my local children's centre last week, at the childminders drop in, they got a pool out and the lids had a great time. Remember we were kids too and I am sure most of you played in a pool:)

youarewhatyoueat
24-05-2010, 11:35 AM
I use an old turtle sand box filled with a few inches of water rather than a paddling pool, I also use a tuff spot tray as it can be quick and easy to fill and empty and big enough to sit in if they want to.
I find an inch or 2 of water can keep the children amused and cool just as well as deeper water.

AliceK
24-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Right, well one of the mindees is going home soon and the other one has gone down for a sleep (at least 2 hrs) so I'm going to get it out for DD. Other mindee can play in it when we come back from the school run for a short while before tea and then she'll be going home.

Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:

xxxxxx

huggableshelly
24-05-2010, 11:49 AM
I used a pool summer 2008 but all mindees were over the age of 6 and I didnt move from the pool, when I did they all had to get out and stand away from it (loo break).

I've not had it out since due to younger mindees but I do fill a tuff spot and also use an old hamster cage base too or sometimes just a bucket that can all me emptied or moved quickly.

I decided I didnt want the responsability of younger children in a pool, you have to decide that for yourself.

I too find it a pain to have it out at wkends for mine but then they cant play with it again till the following wkend but still thats my say on the matter lol.

SmartKids
24-05-2010, 12:10 PM
I have a large above ground pool which I have purposely not bought a ladder for therefore the lil ones cant get in, it also has a pool cover. This pool is ok for over 6 yr olds who can swim. I also have a paddling pool for the lil ones and non swimmers. I do a RA and get all parents to sign a permission form to say whether or not they are allowed to go in the pool and it also states which pool they will be going in and whether they can swim or not. I am sure most children have paddling pools in there gardens.

sandy64
24-05-2010, 12:27 PM
weve been in tuff spot today only because i couldnt be bothered to blow pool up lol i have a ra for it and permission form my parents thing its great obviously i wouldnt put to much water in tuff spot was great i evan sprayed there legs with foamy soap they loved it both asleep now:)

The Juggler
24-05-2010, 01:05 PM
weve been in tuff spot today only because i couldnt be bothered to blow pool up lol i have a ra for it and permission form my parents thing its great obviously i wouldnt put to much water in tuff spot was great i evan sprayed there legs with foamy soap they loved it both asleep now:)

tuff spot or turtle sand pit great idea as they need less water and easier to empty out quickly when you need the loo! :laughing:

I decided against it this year as I have 2 x 1 year olds but I have done in the past when I've had a couple of 3 and 4 year olds. I've got the waterpark filled up and one of my 1 year olds got in and paddled in that!

Rubybubbles
24-05-2010, 01:09 PM
I don't use a paddling pool. I do fill up my sand tray with water, or the cat litter trays (we use for art). Today we had long pasta:D baby ate most of it :laughing:

Polly2
24-05-2010, 01:17 PM
I stressed about this last year and decided that with ra in place and parents permission I would buy a small paddling pool.

I am so glad I did :clapping: the lo's have had so much fun this morning and it has kept them cool too.

AliceK
24-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Well I put the paddling pool up and as it was filling up OH came home for lunch with the water table I had ordered from Argos which he built and so DD was off playing with that. She then went in the paddling pool for 2 mins told me it was freezing, came indoors and asked for the TV to be switched on :rolleyes: . Well hopefully DS will appreciate the paddling pool when he comes home from school.

xxxxxx

HomefromHome
24-05-2010, 01:27 PM
i think they are great for all ages - you have to RA and get signed permissin from parents then its down to common sense i think - if you have a young baby and 2 or more older ones (but under5) then maybe not but if you have a 2 or 3 of similar age (i have 2, 3, 4 inc dd) then def!! only needs a couple of inches, you NEVER leave the side and they have a whale of a time!!!!!!!!!!!!

WibbleWobble
24-05-2010, 01:43 PM
i have some large seed trays from wilkos and i put some ice cubes in one and we watched them melt. My Los loved that...12 month old just sucked the ice but the 2.5 yr old told me it was magic and she liked the drips!
I then put an inch of water in the tray with some floating toys and they had a great time. Littlest one ended up in just his nappy!

This was great cos we stayed under the brolly too!

mandy xxxx

mama2three
24-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Ive got the paddling pool and a large tray out and theyved been having great fun transfering the water in buckets and cups then dipping the dinosaurs in and making footprints , and making them swim! the pool is under the trees so in a little shade and has kept them entertained for ages ..

snufflepuff
24-05-2010, 03:50 PM
At the moment all my mindees are one year old, as is my son. So i don't think i would have the pool out unless DP or my Mum is here to help out. Otherwise i just don't have enough pairs of hands/ eyes to control them all!
My son has loved his pool this weekend, and even enjoyed the big pool at nannies house!

Chimps Childminding
24-05-2010, 04:45 PM
I don't have a paddling pool! Only had 1 mindee today and he had a whale of a time with a bowl of water and sieves, containers etc. In the holidays when June and I have a few children, I get the sprinkler out on the lawn and they play with that!!

PixiePetal
24-05-2010, 04:54 PM
I filled my little tikes water play table today but mindees (22 months and just 3) preferred the tuff spot full of water. :rolleyes:

I have an outside loo nearby which is handy and living in the country, don't even need to shut the door right up and I can see them all the time through the cracks in the door anyway :laughing:

Not had written RA before so watched today and noted dangers.:)

manjay
24-05-2010, 06:01 PM
I filled my little tikes water play table today but mindees (22 months and just 3) preferred the tuff spot full of water. :rolleyes:

I have an outside loo nearby which is handy and living in the country, don't even need to shut the door right up and I can see them all the time through the cracks in the door anyway :laughing:

Not had written RA before so watched today and noted dangers.:)

:laughing: This conjours up wonderful images of you toileting al fresco:D

PixiePetal
24-05-2010, 06:52 PM
:laughing: This conjours up wonderful images of you toileting al fresco:D

got a lovely view from the loo - I will post it....................see! :laughing:

francinejayne
24-05-2010, 07:19 PM
got a lovely view from the loo - I will post it....................see! :laughing:

Oooh that is a lovely view - lucky you!