PDA

View Full Version : How to explain this to parent

snufflepuff
23-05-2010, 09:36 PM
I have a minee who starts at 8.30am, and at the moment i give her breakfast. Originally it wasn't part of the arrangement- it was just that mum was struggling to get everything done in the mornings and as she was my only mindee at the time i said id give LO breakfast here to help mum out a bit. I have now got a mindee that i need to take to school which means leaving the house at 8.30, so no time to give breakfast. Also, she often arrives 10-15 minutes late so i need to explain to her that she needs to be on time otherwise we will be late getting to school.
Can anyone offer any advice please? Im a bit worried about how to word it without sounding like im favouring my new mindee! Has anyone been in this situation? What do you do if a mindee is late- do you leave for the school run without them or make your schoolies late?

rachelle
23-05-2010, 09:39 PM
I have taken to saying to a parent "I have to do the school run in the morning I'm afraid so need to leave at xxxxx, I'll take the double so you can meet us on route if easier or you're welcome to drop at 9.30 once I'm back" Has worked every time!

SammyM
23-05-2010, 09:42 PM
I have this paragraph in my parents pack:-

"Once all children have been dropped off, breakfast will be given to those who require it, then we will prepare to walk up to school. I will be leaving home at approx 8.20 in order to be at school for when the doors open, so please bear this in mind when dropping off your child giving yourself plenty of time."

I do toast when we get back from school run (9.10ish) so at least those who've not had a huge brekkie won't be hungry til lunchtime.

Sam x

The Juggler
24-05-2010, 06:28 AM
Other than baby babies I don't do late breakfasts anymore as it tied me to comign back to the house every day (babies you can take something with you usually). When one of mine got later and later and breakfast was becoming a struggle already, then I had to start doing an even earlier school run, I asked mum if she could please provide breakfast at home so were weren't having to come back here every monring.

I think older children are capable of eating breakfast with parents and once they can feed themselves parents can still run round making lunches or doing makeup in kitchen whilst they eat, whereas babies often have milk earlier and breakfast later which I understand.

My rule - need to be here for 0800 latest for breakfast apart from pre and weaning babies. I leave the house at 0820.

Hebs
24-05-2010, 07:01 AM
My cut off for giving breakfast is half 7 as we leave the house at 8.15 to do school runs. I refuse to stress about giving breakfasts when parents cant get up 5 mins earlier to feed their kids!

angeldelight
24-05-2010, 07:06 AM
I would just be honest and tell her that you can no longer offer breakfast

I would also tell her if she arrives late you will carry on with the school run and she will have to meet you at school

I leave for the school run if children at late - it got to the point that other children were late because of one child never being on time ...........i dont think it means you are favouring the new child at all. But they do have to be at school on time !!

Good luck let us know how it goes

Angel xx

marian
24-05-2010, 07:08 AM
I don't 'do' breakfast but we have toast and fruit after the school run.
Just let the parent know that you now have a school run to do and you leave at 8.25 at the latest and if she 'misses' you that you will be back at whatever time or give her the option of meeting you at the school.

Marian x

wendywu
24-05-2010, 07:21 AM
[
QUOTE=Hebs;712567]My cut off for giving breakfast is half 7 as we leave the house at 8.15 to do school runs. I refuse to stress about giving breakfasts when parents cant get up 5 mins earlier to feed their kids![/QUOTE]

I am the same as this, sometimes i go from school to toddlers and dont go home.

If parents are late they have to catch me up. Its in my RA i am always on time as a stressed and rushed CM can forget things and cause accidents :laughing:

snufflepuff
24-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Thank you ladies. I was talking to DP about it last night and he said i should ask her to come 5-10 minutes early free of charge.....then she will be more likely to be here by 8.30, i can get LO straight in to the buggy and go....and it sounds good that i am offering her that time for free. So i might try that, and just explain about the breakfast......im not offering to give breakfast when we get back because it will be 9.30 so too late in my opinion, and like others have said i dont want to have to come back home every day.

AliceK
24-05-2010, 09:47 AM
I have this paragraph in my parents pack:-

"Once all children have been dropped off, breakfast will be given to those who require it, then we will prepare to walk up to school. I will be leaving home at approx 8.20 in order to be at school for when the doors open, so please bear this in mind when dropping off your child giving yourself plenty of time."

I do toast when we get back from school run (9.10ish) so at least those who've not had a huge brekkie won't be hungry til lunchtime.

Sam x

Same here. Parents know I have to leave at 8.30 and this WILL happen regardless of whether mindees have arrived or not. They know I get back at 9.00 so they can drop off then if they choose. I will also do toast / porridge when we get back from the school run if anyone has not had brekkie or if they want something else.
I think you have to be firm where school runs are involved. You can't have a child being late for school because someone doesn't turn up on time. When it's time to go you go and thats that. (I'm very strict :blush: )

xxxxxxx

TheBTeam
24-05-2010, 11:49 AM
I can not believe a parent who can not find time to feed their child breakfast and yet still do not drop off till 8.30!

How long does it make to put on a slice of toast!

snufflepuff
24-05-2010, 04:19 PM
I can not believe a parent who can not find time to feed their child breakfast and yet still do not drop off till 8.30!

Lol, i think it is because she is one of those lucky ladies whose child sleeps really well at night and doesn't wake up at the crack of dawn. She gets herself ready then wakes LO up, throws some clothes on her and brings her to me. Sometimes she has her milk at home, sometimes she has it at mine.

Things will have to change!