PDA

View Full Version : gloves for suncream?

rachelle
23-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Someone has just told me I should use gloves for applying suncream as no skin to skin contact (she is pre school back ground though) - please tell me this is plop... I don't use gloves for anything else (except first aid), surely it's ott? :panic:

little_gems
23-05-2010, 07:45 PM
i've never heard of this and i wont be doing it.

My son hates rubber gloves, and latex free gloves he frecky out.

Bushpig
23-05-2010, 07:50 PM
OTT in my book!

youarewhatyoueat
23-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Lol............

gigglinggoblin
23-05-2010, 08:34 PM
:panic:

We will be keeping them in a glass tank soon incase we try to hug them or something

Pipsqueak
23-05-2010, 08:36 PM
ITS PLOP:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

francinejayne
23-05-2010, 08:39 PM
They're useful when applying fake tan!!!! :laughing:

PixiePetal
23-05-2010, 08:45 PM
OTT !! totally crazy :panic:

caz3007
23-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Goodness me, I have lots of skin to skin contact with my mindies, lots of hugs it makes me feel the world has gone mad if we are supposed to wear gloves to put on suncream, they will be saying we have to wear them to wipe a childs face next

rachelle
23-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Hurrah, hoped you'd all say that! Knew they'd be common sense on here :)

Can you imagine a trip to the park with 5 mindees, 5 different bottles of cream and 5 pairs of gloves and a pot for the ones you've already used... I might actually have nightmares tonight! :eek:

louise
23-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Thats crazy my son has to have suncream put on while at school and they have asked to where gloves but that was when he has a fair few spots that he was always picking so were never scabbed properly so it was more for the reason on blood. Preschool never asked.

Chimps Childminding
24-05-2010, 07:16 AM
So if we have to wear gloves to put sun cream on because of skin contact then we would have to wear them to cuddle the lo's too :laughing: Overkill or what :rolleyes:

huggableshelly
24-05-2010, 07:22 AM
I use gloves when applying suncream to one child as I'm allergic to the make of suncream but its the only one the child can use, also she is able to rub it in herself now.

Otherwise no gloves for suncream unless I react to another brand ofcourse lol

Pauline
24-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Any skin to skin contact would be covered in your Touch Policy anyway, if you have one. :)

If you haven't there is an example in the free downloads:

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/freedownloads.html

:thumbsup:

ajs
24-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Any skin to skin contact would be covered in your Touch Policy anyway, if you have one. :)

If you haven't there is an example in the free downloads:

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/freedownloads.html

:thumbsup:

a touch policy :eek: , it's not april fool

marzi
24-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Do we need a touch policy? :panic:

RedDragon
24-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Hurrah, hoped you'd all say that! Knew they'd be common sense on here :)

Can you imagine a trip to the park with 5 mindees, 5 different bottles of cream and 5 pairs of gloves and a pot for the ones you've already used... I might actually have nightmares tonight! :eek:

then we will be doing a themes on "Kind to the environment", recycling and global warming lool

Mollymop
24-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Skin to skin contact, when looking after kiddies??? Never heard of anything so silly in my life!!!:eek:

Wonder if I should be wearing gloves when holding hands then?:laughing: :rolleyes:

sarah707
24-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Ds has chronic eczema and they used to wear gloves to put cream on him at school because of the risk of cross contamination.

I understood their reasons fully as he was infected quite a lot.

So if a child has scabby or potentially infected skin then yes, I would say absolutely wear gloves.

Also for the same reason (cross contamination) if you are creaming more than one child you should wash your hands thoroughly in between.

The best thing is to teach children how to do it independently as quickly as possible and just check it is spread properly :D

Pauline
24-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Do we need a touch policy? :panic:

no you don't need one, it is not a requirement, but I have one just to explain things and it shows good practice. I know a lot of minders have one, that is why it went in the downloads. :)

The Juggler
24-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Someone has just told me I should use gloves for applying suncream as no skin to skin contact (she is pre school back ground though) - please tell me this is plop... I don't use gloves for anything else (except first aid), surely it's ott? :panic:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: If Ofsted want us to do this then I'm def. in the wrong job - we'll have to wear gloves for a cuddle next and wear those mouth protectors for resuscitation when we kiss them:laughing:

Rubybubbles
24-05-2010, 01:16 PM
errmmm

I have been wearing gloves for sun cream:) But I did a RA as I have had 2 kids (same family) come out with chicken pox and really don't want a scab (heave) to come off on me. I find it easier when at home TBH as I also wash my hands between each suncreamed child, so it's quicker with the gloves:)

They all line up (apart from baby) to be done lol:D . Baby I have to grab then plaster him!

The Juggler
24-05-2010, 01:30 PM
errmmm

I have been wearing gloves for sun cream:) But I did a RA as I have had 2 kids (same family) come out with chicken pox and really don't want a scab (heave) to come off on me. I find it easier when at home TBH as I also wash my hands between each suncreamed child, so it's quicker with the gloves:)

They all line up (apart from baby) to be done lol:D . Baby I have to grab then plaster him!

I think I might with a child with an infection but otherwise:panic: :panic:

marzi
24-05-2010, 06:33 PM
no you don't need one, it is not a requirement, but I have one just to explain things and it shows good practice. I know a lot of minders have one, that is why it went in the downloads. :)

Thanks Pauline I'll get that sorted then, another policy for the ever growing folder!