PDA

View Full Version : observations?

Hebs
23-05-2010, 06:55 PM
do you use the child's name in the observation form?

TheBTeam
23-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Yes. :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
23-05-2010, 07:03 PM
I do - but use initial letter for others they interact with if I need to

right or wrong, I don't know! :D

little_gems
23-05-2010, 07:09 PM
yes i do. and i use my own childrens names as well

Playmate
23-05-2010, 07:09 PM
I do - but use initial letter for others they interact with if I need to

right or wrong, I don't know! :D

We do the same :D

Hebs
23-05-2010, 07:12 PM
i use the childs name but i'm busy doing NVQ coursework and in my book it says....

to test whether you have protected a childs identity, would be whether someone else who is familiar with the setting could work out the identity from the details you have recorded.

:panic: well obviously they would if your using photos and their name

worried now :panic:

little_gems
23-05-2010, 07:19 PM
for nvq course work your not allowed childrens names, you have to just name them as 1,2,3 or Child a child b child c.
Hope this helps

little_gems
23-05-2010, 07:20 PM
i just either re-wote the observation (short ones) for photo copyed and just blanked the name out.

Hebs
23-05-2010, 07:24 PM
for nvq course work your not allowed childrens names, you have to just name them as 1,2,3 or Child a child b child c.
Hope this helps

yes i know that :thumbsup:

but this says we shouldnt use any identifiable information in our observations (not just nvq work)

PixiePetal
23-05-2010, 08:05 PM
yes i know that :thumbsup:

but this says we shouldnt use any identifiable information in our observations (not just nvq work)

surely there would be no reason for writing it at all if that's the case, could be about anyone! :rolleyes: Only the parents see the LJs of mine and it's up to them who sees it.

Pipsqueak
23-05-2010, 08:53 PM
common sense needs to prevail here - we are lone workers in the main and various people like close friend minders, development officers/workers etc who know us well would probably be able to identify the children in our care.

You protect confidentiality anyway by storing these documents securely, you don;t name other children etc....

Lets face it, another parent would probably be able to identify other children in your care just by description of what that child is doing and if you only have two children in your care..... well what are you supposed to do!:rolleyes:

Don't worry, don't panic:D

Millenium
23-05-2010, 10:19 PM
PixiePetal

The learning journals must be shared with other settings if the child goes to another minder or maybe like some of mine, to a nursery or pre-school. Therefore I never use any names other than the name of the child for whom the learning journal is written - perhaps I am being too cautious???

The Juggler
24-05-2010, 06:22 AM
I aways feel if the parent is reading the observation they'll want to know who else was there. I think it's an important detail and unlike nursery all my parents know all the other children here anyway so initials would give everything away:laughing:

Hebs
24-05-2010, 06:47 AM
I dont mention other mindees x

huggableshelly
24-05-2010, 07:18 AM
I usually use the childs name then refer to others as other children or another child ust like I woud in writing up accident/inicent reports.