PDA

View Full Version : Please help me figure this out?

Tippy Toes
21-05-2010, 03:50 PM
I have posted about this before, but need more help:

Parent works Monday, Tuesday, Friday in an office and wants me to take her 6yr old to school - 8am - 9am - fine.

She also works as a bank nurse Weds and Thursday - 12 hour shifts, either 6.15am till 7.45pm or 6.45am till 8.15pm.

She wants me to provide chilcare and has told me that the monday,tues, fridays are definates but the Weds & Thurs are not definate as depends whether she get the bank work.

If im going to be doing these long long days I want it to be worth my while so was thinking of charging £7 for 6am till 8am, £3.50 for 8am till 9am and then £3.50 from 3.00pm till 5.30pm and finally £7p/hr 5.30pm till 8.30pm. - So £47.25 for the day. Do you think this is too much?

Also was going to say if she does not work the bank shifts then will still need to charge?

What are your thoughts please? And sorry to keep going on about this, its just i have to email her back tonight with prices etc.

Thanks everyone. :D

auntym
21-05-2010, 04:04 PM
I cant say whether those prices are too much or not as it varies depending on what area you live. But the days she dosnt come if she wants the place held then its fair enuf for you to charge. . . . I would!
A higher rate for early morning and late evening is also fair as not many would start so early and finish so late so gotta be worth it for you

sarah707
21-05-2010, 04:48 PM
I suppose it depends to an extent on how much she earns and whether she is claiming tax credits.

If she's on minimum wage then that rate possibly won't be affordable without Tax Credits... if she's on a higher wage she'll get less tax credits and it might be hard again for her.

You can only really say your rates and be prepared to be knocked down a bit... say give yourself 50p an hour leeway.

At the end of the day I can't imagine many people who would work those hours.

Good luck! :D

miffy
21-05-2010, 05:11 PM
If you are holding a place two days a week every week whether it is used or not then I think it's reasonable to charge a higher rate when it is used especially as some of the hours are unsociable ones. She might also get a higher rate of pay for bank work.

Miffy xx

Heaven Scent
22-05-2010, 07:39 AM
I work strange hours - and I charge £3.60 for normal hours but £5.00 ph for before 8 & after 6 - week-ends & B.'s are different. I don't double my rate because I know that hit would become uneconomical for mums to work. I always feel a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. I also feel that when it comes to after schoolers then I give a little lee way with retainers etc I'd possibly charge her half rate for weeks she doesn't have bank work - but if its anything like up here where you live there is no shortage of nursing bank work.

Tippy Toes
22-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks for everyones replies you have been v helpful :)