PDA

View Full Version : who else is having their first break since xmas

lou lou
21-05-2010, 01:56 PM
well it is comming up to my first break since xmas and i really need it now i have had no time off since xmas and off to portugal for a week soon and i am so looking forward to it and feel so tired at the moment, it seems to have been a tough few months since xmas with such a hard winter and the children allways being ill and then i lost my mum which has been very tough so really ready for a break now as i am sure all you fellow childminders are the same. So who is off for a break shortly

cher25
21-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Im not. :( Dp keeps forgetting to check when he can take hols from work. Only been waiting for almost 2 month to book a week off. lol Although will be staying at home when we do. :(

Enjoy your well deserved holiday. :)

Graceycakes
21-05-2010, 02:05 PM
I was wondering how you manage this with mindees when you want to take holidays?

do you just notify them that you are unavailable and not charge for that week?

Also - what happens when they notify you that they are away for a week - do you still charge etc??

sorry - i'm new to all this and i want to get my terms completely right from the start so everyone knows where they stand

lou lou
21-05-2010, 02:15 PM
what i do is i dont charge anything when i am off and give parents plenty of notice i told them in february that i was off for a week and when the children are off i charge half pay which all my parents have seemed quite happy with that

little chickee
21-05-2010, 02:15 PM
I haven't had a break since Xmas either but next week is my last week before our long awaited 1st ever family holiday abroad! we are going to Spain - flying out on 1st June 2 days after my 40th birthday,.

Its the first time my kids age 13, 10 & 7 have ever left Scotland and only the 2nd time i have been abroad since i was a kid.

Very excited and very very nervous.

In answer to Graceycakes i try to give the parents as much notice as poss - I do not charge when I am on holiday. When they take holidays i charge a full fee.

ajs
21-05-2010, 03:07 PM
me and my dh are off to New York on the 12th june for a week and boy am i needing the break too.

i don't think it will be relaxing but it will be a break from children of all ages

jaytravis
21-05-2010, 03:31 PM
im not off till 5th aug till 23rd aug im working 14hr days so really looking to my time off

miffy
21-05-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm off for half term week - ready for a break even though I had a week off in April - decided I would have more holidays this year! :D

Miffy xx

Tippy Toes
21-05-2010, 03:53 PM
My first break from xmas was the first wk of May...and it seemed long overdue.

And even then some parents had the hump I was taking a break! :angry:

AnnieM
21-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Me, me :clapping: :clapping: I've just finished for a week, but we aren't going away, we are having new stairs fitted and the plasterers in to do the hall, stairs and landing. :D It won't really be much of a break, but I am desperate to get them done and it just can't be done with kids around. :thumbsup: We are going to Turkey for a week at the end of September though, so really looking forward to that, just hope we get a nice summer this year and then I won't mind having to wait so long, as we haven't been away since 2008..... :panic:

rickysmiths
21-05-2010, 04:22 PM
I was wondering how you manage this with mindees when you want to take holidays?

do you just notify them that you are unavailable and not charge for that week?

Also - what happens when they notify you that they are away for a week - do you still charge etc??

sorry - i'm new to all this and i want to get my terms completely right from the start so everyone knows where they stand

Hi Graceycakes.

I inform my parents in Jan/Feb of when I would like to take my holiday through the year. In my Contracts its states a min of 4 weeks notice of annual holiday from either party.

They know I take it in school holidays when they sign their contract, dh is a teacher. I then have a two week consultation when they can say if the times are not good for them. Only been as to shift by a week once in 17yrs of minding! We then all book our main holidays at the same time. No need for them to find care when I'm away.

I charge full fee for 5 weeks holiday a year and when they have holiday when I'm working and they all seem to have much more than 5 weeks hol, they pay full fee. The only ones who get a reduction are the term time only who pay half fee in the holidays so the get 8 weeks a year at half fee.

All the others are paying all the time unless I am off sick when there is no charge and I usually am able to find cover for them.

I have done things this way for 12 yrs now and I am always full and have often had to have a Variation for 4 under 5s. I know I am lucky but I must add that for the 1st 10yrs I lived in a poorish area and the above still worked.

I moved further out of London into the countryside 6yrs ago and have a very mixed bunch of parents iyswim and still haven't had a problem. What I don't know though is how many parents have chosen not to come to me because of the holiday. As I'm full anyway it isn't an issue.

NCMA recommend you take at least 4 weeks holiday each year and that was made before the national min leave was raised to 25days a year for an employed person. (that includes Bank Hols)

I am prepared to work Bank Holidays and have worked one Boxing Day in the 17yrs. I charge 3x fee for working them though. I charge normal fee for them if they fall on a contracted day and the child doesn't come to me.

Hope this helps I know I'm not the only one on here to have paid holidays btw.

miss mopple
21-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Im off camping in Weymouth next weekend and I cant wait as I havent had a break sice Christmas either :clapping:

I was really ill last week and Im sure its just because I have worked solidly for so long

Enjoy your well earned break

x

rickysmiths
21-05-2010, 04:27 PM
I had a week at Easter but that was to move out of the ground floor f my house because we are having an extension built so it wasn't really a holiday. Next off for 3 weeks in August to move back in again!

First real break will be Oct half term. :eek:

celdemorg
21-05-2010, 05:24 PM
I'm off on my hols too a week on Sat, not been off since xmas either, can't wait, going to Barmouth North Wales, hopefully weather will be like today :)

One of my mindees mum hasn't stopped going on about who is going to have her little one for the last two months, although they've just had a week's holiday, maybe I'm not allowed - tough bananas (I'm being polite, and my ds is eating one:laughing: ), just looking forward to spending time with my kiddies and hubby.

Whoever is going away too, I hope you all have a good time, and whoever isn't I hope you have a good week and yr mindees are good for you.

xxxx

sarah707
21-05-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm going away soon and it will be my first time away since Christmas as well!

i can't wait! :clapping:

Enjoy your break :D

green puppy
21-05-2010, 05:43 PM
I have 2 weeks at christmas and 2 weeks in august, so a few more months for my hols!

SYLVIA
21-05-2010, 08:48 PM
I don't have tme off till august but 3 of my mindees have been away one after another and that's lightened my work load. Feels like a holiday in itself. I charge full fees for mindees holiday and none for mine. Like the idea of triple fee for bank hols

solly
22-05-2010, 07:07 AM
Apart from the bank holidays and the odd unexpected day off i haven't had anytime off since last August :( I decided this year as we are more financially stable i would take 4 weeks off so have got half term week off as my horse is being broken in, then i have got 2 weeks in July as we are off to Menorca and then i will either take October half term or a week at christmas off:)

angiemog
22-05-2010, 07:19 AM
I have 2 weeks holiday booked in July.... that will be my first since 2008. I started minding last May, and had children start in May, June, August, and November. Other than Christmas and a few days over Easter I haven't had any time off. Next year however I will be taking at least 5 weeks hol. My husband is a shift worker and gets his holiday allocated so we can't choose when we have time off. I will try to be fair to my family who are student drs. I can't wait for July. x

Heaven Scent
22-05-2010, 07:21 AM
I haven't had a break since last August and am not having one again until End July:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: And Believe me I'm really really feeling it - I'm hoping to book our holiday at the end of next week so that will make me feel better.

Enjoy your breaks everyone - Ajs that is my holiday you are going on - its my Wedding Anniversary on 12th - so now you have the responsibility of celebrating my 2nd honeymoon - Mr Ajs should be very very happy!!!!

The Juggler
22-05-2010, 08:54 AM
I only work 3 days in the hols so I've a few little breaks half term and Easter so it's not so bad.:) unfortunately I was using most of them to do 10 hours a day of study but now I've finished looking forward to some proper days off.:clapping:

Tam's Tribe
22-05-2010, 09:22 AM
I haven't had a break since last August and am not having one again until End July:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: And Believe me I'm really really feeling it - I'm hoping to book our holiday at the end of next week so that will make me feel better.

Enjoy your breaks everyone - Ajs that is my holiday you are going on - its my Wedding Anniversary on 12th - so now you have the responsibility of celebrating my 2nd honeymoon - Mr Ajs should be very very happy!!!!

Me Too . . . last time off was end of July when I started childminding and will have my next hol in September!!! . . . I am really feeling it now,especially as I do mine and hubby's business accounts, I feel like I dont really even have weekends. :panic:

Hebs
22-05-2010, 10:34 AM
I had 2 weeks away in January and a week in march,

Next holiday isnt til mid September but counting down already, working 7 days a week takes its toll!

X

RainbowMum
22-05-2010, 12:16 PM
This time next week we'll amost be in Devon:clapping: 1st break since last Jan - we've got a cottage booked for the week and are going to Legoland on the way home :D

Bushpig
22-05-2010, 03:32 PM
My last break was Israel in February... my next wkend break is Wales in June (rugby in Cardiff)... next proper holiday away is South Africa in December... it's been a long year, with lots of hospital visits and stuff happening... and I cannot wait to be in the glorious sunshine in December :D

PixiePetal
22-05-2010, 04:20 PM
I had 2 weeks off over easter hols - don't have a summer family holiday as DH is busy harvesting on our farm :(

Might take 1 week off in Aug to stay at my mums with the kids, well, teens as they are :rolleyes: she is in a seaside town. Some mindees will be off for most of Aug so only 1 other to sort it with :thumbsup:

Minstrel
26-05-2010, 10:42 AM
This time next week we'll amost be in Devon:clapping: 1st break since last Jan - we've got a cottage booked for the week and are going to Legoland on the way home :D

Oh pop in for a cuppa and say hi to me when you go to Legoland :clapping:

Adiamond
26-05-2010, 10:50 AM
I haven't had a proper break since christmas I am one knackered childminder!!!

BUT I finish work on Friday and we are jetting off to Majorca on Sunday morning for 12 days 4* all inclusive............. Bliss :D I cannot wait :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: x x x

Rubybubbles
26-05-2010, 12:32 PM
have a super time:clapping:

I moved in Feb had 6 weeks off and didn't start again until last week in March so no hols for me until Aug 16th:D

Miffy, I am being stricter this year and taking my hols too:thumbsup:

WibbleWobble
26-05-2010, 01:46 PM
first day off since i started beginning of feb (not including the weekends which i have spent doing paperwork!) will be on BH monday...and parents were going to send LO even though they were off:( but i soon put a stop to that!

i hope the weather is decent as i NEED to get out on my beloved motorbike and get some horsepower throbbing between my legs:blush: tee hee

mandyxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx